Author Topic: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread  (Read 453225 times)

De Selby

• friend
Re: COVID-19/corona virus mega thread/prepping thread
« Reply #6500 on: December 14, 2021, 03:06:17 PM »
Overview of a Lancet article at zerohedge.

https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/lancet-scolds-those-claiming-pandemic-unvaccinated

What Tyler Durden has missed there is that the letter from Germany does not suggest vaccinated people spread covid as efficiently as unvaccinated - only that they do indeed spread it, so other control measures like masking should be looked at for vaccinated people, which makes sense.

Im not sure what makes zero hedge a credible source of medical information. But do you honestly think it’s a good idea to take medical and risk advice from a guy who signs his articles as “Tyler Durden”?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6501 on: December 14, 2021, 03:42:44 PM »
What Tyler Durden has missed there is that the letter from Germany does not suggest vaccinated people spread covid as efficiently as unvaccinated - only that they do indeed spread it, so other control measures like masking should be looked at for vaccinated people, which makes sense.

Im not sure what makes zero hedge a credible source of medical information. But do you honestly think it’s a good idea to take medical and risk advice from a guy who signs his articles as “Tyler Durden”?
Zerohedge is nothing more than a news aggregator with opinions. Frequently info pops up there long before it hits the mainstream media.

The article has the link to The Lancet, here it is in case you missed it.

COVID-19: stigmatising the unvaccinated is not justified
Günter Kampf
Published:November 20, 2021

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)02243-1/fulltext
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6502 on: December 14, 2021, 03:52:04 PM »
Do you know when this interview was done? 

I would have thought they would not publicly discuss this unless they were already concerned this was a possibility and were looking into it. 

And why can't Zuckerberg get his lighting right?

March 2020 I believe.

It's not so much the lighting as it's the Uncanny valley.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6503 on: December 14, 2021, 03:55:31 PM »
March 2020 I believe.

It's not so much the lighting as it's the Uncanny valley.
Okay.  Missed the big "March 2020" on the second video.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6504 on: December 14, 2021, 03:57:34 PM »
But do you honestly think it’s a good idea to take medical and risk advice from a guy who signs his articles APS posts as “Tyler Durden” “De Selby”?

FTFY.

And it’s about as valid to poke fun at your screen name as it does for you to cast aspersions due to his.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6505 on: December 14, 2021, 04:01:01 PM »

I don't get the joke.  Is it an anagram or something?
"It's good, though..."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #6506 on: December 14, 2021, 04:04:07 PM »
FTFY.

And it’s about as valid to poke fun at your screen name as it does for you to cast aspersions due to his.

Yeah but I’m not citing myself as a source of authority on covid. He is citing Tyler’s Durden’s take on a letter to the editor of the lancet which does not mean what Tyler Durden thinks it means.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #6507 on: December 14, 2021, 04:05:37 PM »
I don't get the joke.  Is it an anagram or something?

That’s the name of the main character’s split personality identity in Fight Club.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #6508 on: December 14, 2021, 04:39:38 PM »
All of the articles are attributed to Tyler Durden. I doubt one person is providing all the articles on the website. I was just too lazy to re-click the Lancet link and copy/pasted the ZH open tab.

Attacking ZH and its writer(s) is just to distract from the legitimate content from The Lancet that goes contrary to the narrative.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)02243-1/fulltext

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #6509 on: December 14, 2021, 04:54:11 PM »
All of the articles are attributed to Tyler Durden. I doubt one person is providing all the articles on the website. I was just too lazy to re-click the Lancet link and copy/pasted the ZH open tab.

Attacking ZH and its writer(s) is just to distract from the legitimate content from The Lancet that goes contrary to the narrative.

Except that isn’t a study, it’s a letter to the editor and it doesn’t say anything about how transmission by vaccinated people compares the unvaccinated.

It’s actually ridiculous to cite it in the face of actual studies on the question.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6510 on: December 14, 2021, 05:04:10 PM »
That’s the name of the main character’s split personality identity in Fight Club.

Thank-you. :)
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6511 on: December 14, 2021, 06:02:55 PM »
Wherever you stand on covid or The Atlantic, They actually did a somewhat accurate story, which has outraged their readers:

"Outside the world inhabited by the professional and managerial classes in a handful of major metropolitan areas, many, if not most, Americans are leading their lives as if COVID is over,"

Well, yeah, and it's been going on in a lot of places much longer than the writer thinks. My area has been going about our business since probably July of 2020. There really is a big urban/flyover disconnect as we have somewhat been talking about here and there on APS. We each think the other America is a little crazy.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2021/12/14/people-say-theyre-canceling-their-subscriptions-over-the-atlantics-no-one-cares-about-covid-piece/

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/12/where-i-live-no-one-cares-about-covid/620958/?utm_content=edit-promo&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_term=2021-12-13T22%3A43%3A35&utm_medium=social
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6512 on: December 14, 2021, 06:25:32 PM »
^^^The Atlantic article was very thought-provoking to me, living as I do in a healthcare work environment.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6513 on: December 14, 2021, 10:05:39 PM »
Went out to eat with a friend tonight.

You put the mask on to walk through the front door.

You took it off when you got to the bar or your table.

You put it back on again to walk to the restroom or to leave.

Makes PERFECT sense to someone.
Blog under construction

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6514 on: December 14, 2021, 10:07:33 PM »
Went out to eat with a friend tonight.

You put the mask on to walk through the front door.

You took it off when you got to the bar or your table.

You put it back on again to walk to the restroom or to leave.

Makes PERFECT sense to someone.

Are they really still doing that there?  Here there's a sign at the door that says you're strongly encouraged to wear a mask.  Nobody but the waitstaff does.
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6515 on: December 14, 2021, 10:40:26 PM »
About 2/3 of the customers were obeying.

Seriously. Our media sucks.

99.8%
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6516 on: December 15, 2021, 09:43:58 AM »
Are they really still doing that there?  Here there's a sign at the door that says you're strongly encouraged to wear a mask.  Nobody but the waitstaff does.
That is more or less what I see here.  Most places the employees are wearing masks.  Every place has a sign on the door asking you to wear a mask.  Few people do.   

I had to go to another companies' office yesterday.  I knew their policy was people who are unvaccinated have to wear a mask still.  Less than half the people there were wearing one.

I know someone who works for Equifax.  They were requiring even "work at home" people to be vaccinated.  They sent out a letter after Thanksgiving canceling that policy.  I heard a lot of companies who had set that requirement were doing that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6517 on: December 15, 2021, 09:55:44 AM »
That is more or less what I see here.  Most places the employees are wearing masks.  Every place has a sign on the door asking you to wear a mask.  Few people do.   

I had to go to another companies' office yesterday.  I knew their policy was people who are unvaccinated have to wear a mask still.  Less than half the people there were wearing one.

I know someone who works for Equifax.  They were requiring even "work at home" people to be vaccinated.  They sent out a letter after Thanksgiving canceling that policy.  I heard a lot of companies who had set that requirement were doing that.

IBM is doubling-down on the vaccine requirement, still pointing the finger at Biden when they do.  Their reason IMHO is really two-told: their "digital vaccine passport app" is too good a business opportunity to let it dry up.  They are coercing the employees to use it (on their personal cell phones) to drive up the user numbers, but there are ways to be compliant w/o using their app, it's just harder.  The other reason is to run off good employees, at least in the USA.  Next they'll be crying for more H1-B visas and/or closing plants in the States and moving operations to China, India, and Bulgaria. (yes, Bulgaria) 

As far as I know, nobody who has requested a religious or medical accommodation has been rejected, but they are really drawing out the process.  There's been a wave of approvals this week; some of the applicants had been waiting for 2 months
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #6518 on: December 15, 2021, 11:19:57 AM »
You know what would impress me a bleep-ton more than a sign at the front door telling me that I had to wear an ineffective virtue signaler?

"We have installed a new HEPA air filtration system for this building, with even better filters, and UV light chambers to kill airborne contaminants."
Blog under construction

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #6519 on: December 15, 2021, 12:16:01 PM »
The Atlantic article pretty accurately describes my observations throughout the pandemic. I went to a "dueling pianos" event in my hometown last weekend. It was attended by over 300 people, in a tightly packed banquet hall. I didn't see a single mask, including on the staff. There was a short chant regarding some Brandon guy though . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6520 on: December 15, 2021, 01:52:58 PM »
Last Sunday, my wife and I went to a Celtic Christmas concert in Mt. Vernon, about 60 miles north of Seattle.  It was very much a grey-haired crowd, and my wife and I commented that there was about 95% mask use.  You had to show proof of vaccination to get in and wear a mask the entire time indoors.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6521 on: December 15, 2021, 01:58:20 PM »
You know what would impress me a bleep-ton more than a sign at the front door telling me that I had to wear an ineffective virtue signaler?

"We have installed a new HEPA air filtration system for this building, with even better filters, and UV light chambers to kill airborne contaminants."
The businesses can't do that because they are too busy trying to comply with mask mandates among other things.  BigGov could have helped fund things like that or allow tax incentives for it, but they were too busy giving money away.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6522 on: December 15, 2021, 02:03:53 PM »
Last Sunday, my wife and I went to a Celtic Christmas concert in Mt. Vernon, about 60 miles north of Seattle.  It was very much a grey-haired crowd, and my wife and I commented that there was about 95% mask use.  You had to show proof of vaccination to get in and wear a mask the entire time indoors.

Lincoln Theater?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6523 on: December 15, 2021, 02:24:43 PM »
Lincoln Theater?

Yes, sir.  And we had a great meal beforehand at Skagit River Brewing, where I can recommend the poutine.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6524 on: December 15, 2021, 04:56:20 PM »
The youth symphony my kids are in was going to perform there but their vax requirements meant we’d lose too many players if we went there.  Same story with McIntyre Hall.  So we’re using the same church as the rehearsals.

Oh, North Sound Brewery has better beer than SRB, but they don’t have food sadly.