Author Topic: Media tiptoeing around Islamic ...  (Read 6933 times)

Lee

• friend
Media tiptoeing around Islamic ...
« on: April 19, 2013, 10:42:03 PM »
Connection to Boston bombing? I figured this would end up in politics, at best, so posted this here.
It's interesting that only a casual reference to the kid's Russian social media page has been made.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: Media tiptoeing around Islamic ...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 10:46:36 PM »
Watching Rock Center on NBC, and they brought up the younger brother's Russian language social networking page and highlighted the "Worldview - Islamic" entry on it.

And they also brought up the older brother's quote "I have no American friends, I don't understand them" from whatever website or twitter posting that was.

No, not beating the war drums over it, but I don't think everyone's hiding it.
I promise not to duck.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 11:01:02 PM »
A little different than if he had been a tea party person, or pretty much anything other than Muslim.
Perhaps it just a given these days.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 01:05:00 AM »
To our betters in the media, the Most Important Thing is that we not be bigots. That's how they advise us every time something like this happens. "I just hope that this does not become a reason for you Morlocks to hate Muslims."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 11:19:59 AM »
To our betters in the media, the Most Important Thing is that we not be bigots. That's how they advise us every time something like this happens. "I just hope that this does not become a reason for you Morlocks to hate Muslims."

But it's okay to hate Rural Americans  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

birdman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 11:30:51 AM »
Connection to Boston bombing? I figured this would end up in politics, at best, so posted this here.
It's interesting that only a casual reference to the kid's Russian social media page has been made.

Fox wasn't.  Watching the takedown, even Geraldo was saying Muslim, Islamic, or similar like every 10th word

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 11:32:41 AM »
But it's okay to hate Rural Americans  ;/

They don't hate you. They just need to re-educate you. Or at least control you. It's for your own good.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 11:46:40 AM »

They don't hate you. They just need to re-educate you. Or at least control you. It's for your own good.

Because I'm bitter and clinging  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 12:03:45 PM »

Of course they hate us.  Embrace it.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 01:02:34 PM »
Of course they hate us.  Embrace it.

We know that. I think a lot of them know it. They still think they're right. They still think they need to "civilize" us.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 03:55:58 PM »
We know that. I think a lot of them know it. They still think they're right. They still think they need to "civilize" us.

The British thought that, too  :lol:

Saorsa!  

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 09:43:34 PM »
I was married into a Muslim family for 26 years. All wonderful people. (OK, I heard the there was a nasty uncle whom they successfully kept way form me.)

I am quite iritated by all this uninformed talk about "those people" as an undifferntiated mass. I suspect those that do so do not know on a personal level any Muslim.

Only semi-related, are you aware of how of how many Arab Muslim women wear false wear leashes? Most as determined by an informal survey by me in face to face observation.
?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 09:48:50 PM »
Only semi-related, are you aware of how of how many Arab Muslim women wear false wear leashes? Most as determined by an informal survey by me in face to face observation.

Leashes, or lashes?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 09:50:59 PM »
I was married into a Muslim family for 26 years. All wonderful people. (OK, I heard the there was a nasty uncle whom they successfully kept way form me.)

I am quite iritated by all this uninformed talk about "those people" as an undifferntiated mass. I suspect those that do so do not know on a personal level any Muslim.

Well, I do (know Muslims)

The problem isn't Islam, its that while the radical elements of other religions (e.g. KKK, etc) are met with active scorn, and most religions AID in the removal of such elements, the general consensus is that Muslims do not.  While that belief may be invalid, one would think there would be a lot more of "hey, those guys are giving our religion a bad name, lets help get rid of them" instead of -just- "hey, we aren't like those guys"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 10:07:41 PM »

I tend to think that a lot of the "those people" comments are aimed at the radical elements and not so much the "all the wonderful people".
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

birdman

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 10:38:33 PM »
I tend to think that a lot of the "those people" comments are aimed at the radical elements and not so much the "all the wonderful people".

I agree.  Most people really couldn't care less what religion people are.  Its when people who self identify as "true {choose your religion}" go and kill a bunch of people.

When people say that they don't like those people, its probably fair to assume the smaller group.

My point remains...I have YET to see a general, religion-wide condemning of the behavior, instead of a "don't blame us as a whole".

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 10:43:30 PM »

The problem isn't Islam, its that while the radical elements of other religions (e.g. KKK, etc) are met with active scorn, and most religions AID in the removal of such elements, the general consensus is that Muslims do not.  While that belief may be invalid, one would think there would be a lot more of "hey, those guys are giving our religion a bad name, lets help get rid of them" instead of -just- "hey, we aren't like those guys"

I posted this on Arfcom in a thread on a similar topic:

Well, there are a lot of different sects in Islam, and besides the main split between Sunni and Shiites, there's tons of other sub-sects and traditions that branch off through the followings of various writings and Imams, then on top of that there's all the cultural groups of different countries, or ethnicity/tribes within those different countries.

So imagine uh.. .for instance... er... some Catholic French Canadian from Quebec goes ape-*expletive deleted*, and for whatever reason kills a bunch of people in China "in the name of Christianity".

So the Chinese media comes to you, a Presbyterian from the United States, sticks a microphone in your face, and because you're both European/Caucasians from North America, and both "Christians", they want to know what you think about what the guy did and why don't you denounce it.

Well hell, from your perspective the guy's a different religion, a different ethnicity, and from a different country. Your first impulse isn't to denounce it, but to be pissed as to what the hell this French Canadian Catholic even has to do with you...   :-X [tinfoil] :P

Now imagine that the majority of the Chinese people and their media, after years and years keep on asking you this, or imply it, and "don't get it", how much of a *expletive deleted* would you give if some Catholic guys from Quebec kept on going over there and killing them?
I promise not to duck.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 10:46:05 PM »
S h i i t e  == expletive deleted?
"It's good, though..."

Lee

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 12:15:21 AM »
I've got nothing against Muslims. I do have something against the ones who think it is their duty to kill people unlike themselves. If a Klan member set off bombs in Harlem, the media would be talking about nothing but the Klan and racism.  From initial reports, it appears that the older brother's distorted view of his faith was the primary motivation for this act.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 01:46:32 AM »
The biggest problem non-spoldey muslims have is that the fundy/splodey muslims hew closer to the orthodox reading of their faith's big documents.  The labels used by most in the west are not helpful in conveying this.

Mohammed was a conqueror and murdered non-muslim men & women out of hand when they were inconvenient.  There is a big difference between WWJD? and WWMD?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 03:12:58 AM »

I'm curious about how you expect them to do that? Go out as armed roving gangs?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Re: Media tiptoeing around Islamic ...
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 06:54:52 AM »

Great point. Its a real bite when the fundys kill you and your family if you speak up.  Does keep folks from opposing the fringe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

birdman

• friend
Re: Re: Re: Media tiptoeing around Islamic ...
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 08:13:12 AM »
Great point. Its a real bite when the fundys kill you and your family if you speak up.  Does keep folks from opposing the fringe.

[sarcasm]
You know, you guys are TOTALLY RIGHT, there is NOTHING they could do to help rid their religion of the negative "splody" types, and if we want them to stop "splody-y-ing" we have to find them ourselves, because its not the responsibility of a group to police itself, when that group is harming others.
[/sarcasm]

Okay, here is my solution:
1. Find out which town/village/family the splody guy came from.
2. Kill EVERYBODY in that unit.
3. Go on the news saying "damn straight, we killed everyone, because you guys can't seem to find the bad guys yourselves, and guess what, we care going to keep doing this"
3. Repeat (I guarantee, they will run out of people before we run out of bombs)

Because you know what, I'm sick of this religion of peace crap, you don't see a 14-yr old Mormon going to another country to BLOW THEMSELVES UP.  And that's a religion that was persecuted by OUR country.

So it needs to be a decision, find the bad guys, and kill them, or we will, and we are less....precise.

Sounds terrible?  Sounds like murder of innocents?  Well, at least the innocents we would kill are in so e way affiliated with the bad guys, not say, an 8 year old kid at a sporting event six thousand goddamn miles from the crap my "terrorism" is protesting.

Screw them. 

birdman

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 08:23:58 AM »
I posted this on Arfcom in a thread on a similar topic:

You are also right, there are many different sects...lets see if we can find one that doesn't have splody elements:
Sunni: damn...those crazy AQ bastards
Shia: crap, Hamas, Libya, etc.
Hrm...not much help, seems like breaking it down into a catholic/Protestant like divide to see if we can isolate which part of the religion of peace thinks of it in a more...energetic nature.

So you tell me, can YOU narrow it down to ONE region/sect?

Because your analogy seems to rely on (not my country)/(not my sect). When it seems to me, using your analogy, we have québécois Presbyterians, American Mormons, Argentinian Lutherans, German baptists, Japanese Catholics and every other country/sect combo you can get.

Oh wait you say...why didn't people come down this hard on Irish Catholics with the whole IRA thing...well, it turns out the troubles got way more attention when they STOPPED targeting innocent kids/families/etc.  because it tends to piss people off and hurt your cause...in effect they policed themselves, and it WAS a specific region/sect.

The problem is these people aren't saying "I'm blowing you in another country up because I'm Shia" (referring to terrorism HERE) they are saying Islam.  Wen the self-grouping doesn't occur, and when the rest don't condemn a specific region/sect (ie "don't blame Islam"...with no follow up of "blame....something") others can't help but apply the same non-grouping that you are so vehement about.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Re: Media tiptoeing around Islamic ...
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 08:29:38 AM »
Your analysis of the irish "troubles" is most unique.
Not realistic

We had similar action ob the tez with aim

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I