Author Topic: Bagging while mowing  (Read 3455 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Bagging while mowing
« on: April 06, 2014, 10:57:59 PM »
We finally got a bagging attachment for the riding lawn mower.  The mower is a Craftsman 54" with a 27hp Kohler motor.  Super easy installation.  Gave it a test mow after I got it on.  Thankfully the grass wasn't too tall as I'd mowed last Tuesday.  It worked very well, had no issues.

Now we get to start saving up to replace the single largest and most expensive window in the whole damn house.  SWMBO was mowing, IIRC a year and a half ago, and best as we can figure threw a rock or something with mower and nearly dead centered the picture window in the master bathroom.  At least it only broke the outer pane, and being tempered glass it has actually held together.
Formerly sumpnz

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Bagging while mowing
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 07:51:22 AM »
Many times I would bag the clippings to use as mulch or to suppress weeds elsewhere.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 08:50:04 AM »
My mulching mower doesn't have an ejection port. 

I have a bagging attachment somewhere.  I think I used it once or twice and decided it was too much work. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 09:03:04 AM »
At least it only broke the outer pane, and being tempered glass it has actually held together.

Tempered glass should have broken into a gazillion pieces about the size of large peas. If it stayed together, more likely it's NOT tempered.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 10:50:13 AM »
Thankfully the grass wasn't too tall as I'd mowed last Tuesday.

We are just now seeing our grass  :facepalm:

I never bag the mower clippings.  Heck, with the size of our "yard" (the part we keep mowed, maybe and acre) it would take me two or three times as long with hiking to somewhere to dump it every five minutes.  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 11:15:52 AM »
I just mowed the lawn for the first time this year. It was long enough that I had to empty the bag once every row. If I hadn't, there'd be clumps of grass lying everywhere.

Once it's mowed, I only have to empty the bag a couple of times per section of yard.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 03:47:08 PM »
Tempered glass should have broken into a gazillion pieces about the size of large peas. If it stayed together, more likely it's NOT tempered.

It absolutely is tempered.  It did break into a zillion tiny pieces.  For whatever reason none of them have yet fallen out.  Not the first time I've seen tempered glass hold together for a significant amount of time after breaking.
Formerly sumpnz

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 04:19:54 PM »
you can save a lot of money by just replacing the glass portion of the window. most of them have  interior trim that allows you to remove the sash, which in turn can usually be removed for the glass replacement.  call the manufacturer and they may send you an inexpensive replacement.  the last one I did was only $35 with shipping to one of their local distributors and it was about 30"x40".
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 08:54:30 PM »
Window is prob 4'x5' and high enough off the ground due to the slope to require scaffolding to install.
Formerly sumpnz

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 09:11:41 PM »
hmmm, large sheets of glass are dangerous!   I'm not sure who makes your window, or what material it is, but newer windows can have the double glazing replaced from the inside with little trouble or mess.  if you aren't doing this yourself, get a quote from a glass company as well as a window company.  if they are able to, it will save them from removing siding trim etc.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 10:05:19 PM »
It absolutely is tempered.  It did break into a zillion tiny pieces.  For whatever reason none of them have yet fallen out.  Not the first time I've seen tempered glass hold together for a significant amount of time after breaking.

Probably laminated safety glass

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 08:54:43 PM »
Point of impact is basically in the center of the photo.

Close up of the fracture pattern.

Looks like a tempered glass fracture to me.  But I suppose it's possible it's laminated.
Formerly sumpnz

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 11:24:44 AM »
if you want to add thousands to your home value, just paint it and call it a stained glass mosaic!    :lol:

i would agree with you.  on occasion i've seen the same effect with tempered glass, once even on a drivers door window that was hit with a slingshot.   ;/

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 11:25:53 AM »
Based on my experience on popping car side windows with a carbide punch, in doing vehicle extrications, it sure looks like tempered glass to me.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 01:31:11 AM »
Just picked up a triple-bag bagger for my 48" 27hp, haven't even gotten it out of the box yet. 

The engine died last August, while under warranty.  But, with 350 hours on it, neither the manufacturer nor the extended warranty folks wanted to cover it.  Finally got everything settled, but by then the rains had set in.  Finally got the mower running again last week, still haven't had time to start mowing.  The grass is getting tall enough to hide the dog.

Normally, I just let the clippings fall.  But with this amount, it'd choke out the lawn.  And I sure don't want to rake 4 1/2 acres....

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 08:43:18 AM »
Just picked up a triple-bag bagger for my 48" 27hp, haven't even gotten it out of the box yet. 

The engine died last August, while under warranty.  But, with 350 hours on it, neither the manufacturer nor the extended warranty folks wanted to cover it.  Finally got everything settled, but by then the rains had set in.  Finally got the mower running again last week, still haven't had time to start mowing.  The grass is getting tall enough to hide the dog.

Normally, I just let the clippings fall.  But with this amount, it'd choke out the lawn.  And I sure don't want to rake 4 1/2 acres....

You need a baler  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 01:07:06 PM »
Hay prices were up last year.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2014, 11:30:44 PM »
I've asked for a 4 legged lawn mower, but Santa (spelled SWMBO) keeps saying no.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2014, 10:51:46 AM »
I've asked for a 4 legged lawn mower, but Santa (spelled SWMBO) keeps saying no.

Let her do the mowing then  :P

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2014, 02:04:18 PM »
"But it mows AND fertilizes at the same time!"
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2014, 02:28:54 PM »
"But it mows AND fertilizes at the same time!"

I recall one of y'all linking to a "pig tractor/tiller" which tilled and fertilized at the same time.  Neat-o.  I will use if I ever live on a bit of land.  Buy a few pigs just for that purpose for the garden/field  and then slaughter the pigs for chow. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2014, 05:32:58 PM »
I should take photos one of these days, but a few years ago, I got tired of my dog walking around behind my Bolens ST-180 garden tractor every time I cut the lawn.

He would follow me, and cry to come out and stay with me were I to lock him up inside.

It was pitiful, so I conceded.  I bought a little John Deere dump trailer, which I then outfitted with one of his cushiest dog beds.

The neighbors think it's great fun to watch me cutting the grass, with big dog in tow.

Were I to get a sidecar for my Harley, I think I know who the occupant would be... 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2014, 08:24:10 PM »
Now this is a riding mower!!

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/04/02/honda-worlds-fastest-lawnmower-video/

And it still cuts the grass, if needed.

bob