Author Topic: So, how could this have happened with this tank?  (Read 5540 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: So, how could this have happened with this tank?
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 11:10:26 PM »
I was thinking a sand dune that moved in a wind storm.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 11:10:54 PM »
It is possible to flip a tank, but it generally involves a ditch, and you don't really want to be inside the thing, since they aren't all that comfy to start with...
Blog under construction

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 11:14:33 PM »
Could have been an engineer unit, M728 CEV.  Those were in inventory until the late 90's at least.  All we see is the back.

Edit:  I'm probably wrong though since as I think about it the boom on the back of the turret would be visible.

Not a CEV.   It's got a long, narrow (105mm) gun tube, not the short, stubby 152mm of a CEV.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2009, 11:15:19 PM »
It is possible to flip a tank, but it generally involves a ditch, and you don't really want to be inside the thing, since they aren't all that comfy to start with...

The man speaks truth. The IDF lost a tank commander dead and three crewmen injured on Mt. Hermon like that once.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2009, 12:09:50 AM »
Not a CEV.   It's got a long, narrow (105mm) gun tube, not the short, stubby 152mm of a CEV.

Where do you see a barrel at all unless that is it in the bottom right of the picture?  I still agree it is not a CEV based on the lack of a boom poking out anywhere or a plow.

Since we are flexing Internet military muscles..  the CEV actually has a British electrically fired 165mm demolition gun, not a 152!  You are thinking of an M60A2   =D

I ran one of those through a firing range a few times.  Mostly it was with non explosive training rounds for target practice, but once we fired the real ones which amount to a watermelon made of plastic explosives.  At over 300 meters we still caught fragments of our own round.

The time we fired live rounds was at the very last NTC rotation where a M728 was used.  When we were done they had us drain all of the fluids, strip the electronics, pull pack, and the chassis were dragged off to be targets.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 12:20:57 AM by 41magsnub »

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2009, 06:45:22 PM »
The other "woops!" photos I've seen from there are more easily explained. Mud has been thwarting military vehicles since Ramses' chariots got stuck. It was just the "how did they...?" of that upside down one that makes me wonder.

See here Yankee, I'm gonna need a bigger shovel.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."