Author Topic: CZ rimfire  (Read 6986 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
CZ rimfire
« on: March 29, 2010, 11:20:57 PM »
Been Jonesing after a CZ 453 for a while now.  Over at RFC I got some suggestions to consider the 452 instead as it's less expensive, and just as good, they thought, for my purposes - having a .22lr training rifle to simulate my CZ 550's. 

Best I've found for a .22lr 453 so far have all been factory new for about $575 OTD.  Haven't been able to find any used.  Anyway, with my new job I'm staying away from the family during the week, and I mentioned this to the guy I'm renting a room from.  He says a buddy of his is selling a CZ rimfire, he thought it was a heavy barrrled 452.

Now that I'm working again, and given that when my wife filed our taxes we're getting a few thousand more in a refund that we'd expected I've got the green light to get a rimfire and associated optics and other necessities.

Well, I got to the place I'm staying during the week tonight and there was 452 Varmint was sitting on the table.

Overall, condition is very good. Bore is dirty, but rifling looks sharp. Crown doesn't appear to have any mars. Only metal issues are a couple of the screws (there are 4 total on the bottom of the stock - 3 in the action, plus one more about halfway between the action and the front sling stud - is that normal for a Varmint??) have been somewhat marred by screwdrivers but that's not a huge deal as I figured on replacing them with the torx head set that's recommended at RFC anyway (J&P I think).

A few minor handling marks. Nothing I probably wouldn't put there myself after a few trips to the range.  Wood grain/figuring is OK. Nothing too special, about average for a CZ.

I dry fired the trigger once. Owner either got lucky or did some adjustments as there was virtually no creep. I don't have a trigger scale so I can't tell the exact pull weight but it felt like ~3#.

Biggest problem (which might not be too much of a problem) is that the barrel channel in the stock is not centered on the barrel. I can't tell if the stock has warped a bit or if it was that way from the factory, but the barrel does touch the stock as a result.

Comes with one steel magazine (looks like a 5 rounder), original box, trigger lock.

Overall impression is good. One thing I didn't realize is that there's no cheek pad on the stock. My 550's have that and I'd just assumed that the 452/453 did too. Do any of the CZ rimfires have the cheek pad?  Other than maybe a 452 Lux it doesn't seem like it.

Asking price is $350. Too much? A good deal?

Should I hold out for the 453?
Formerly sumpnz

sanglant

• friend
Re: CZ rimfire
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 11:24:56 PM »
one more thing to think about is the UL(ultralux) if you can deal with the barrel length it is very nice with cbee rounds [popcorn] i think that price is good, you might want to ask on rimfirecentral there are people there in better shape to to watch prices. ;)
oh and cz announced some new guns that sound nice, might want to look at them first. :facepalm:

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 11:28:02 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 11:28:45 PM »
one more thing to think about is the UL(ultralux) if you can deal with the barrel length it is very nice with cbee rounds [popcorn] i think that price is good, you might want to ask on rimfirecentral there are people there in better shape to to watch prices. ;)
oh and cz announced some new guns that sound nice, might want to look at them first. :facepalm:

Eh.  I'm not going to be a guinea pig on the 455.  If they were cheaper I might.  In a couple years when the lower cost shops (Buds, Wholesale Hunter, Whittakers) have them and they've been throroughly shaken down by other people, then maybe.

The UL doesn't tickle me for some reason.  The regular Lux though is something that I eventually do want to buy.  
Formerly sumpnz

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 01:04:31 PM »
I have the 452 Trainer rifle.

I was looking for a rifle with good iron sights and a rifle to closely replicate the feel and accuracy of my Winchester 69 .22 rifle.

I found it in the CZ 452.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 01:22:16 PM »
I have a CZ 527 in 7.62 x 39. I love that little gun...  :'(
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 03:10:52 PM »
My plain jane 452 is second on my "Would only sell to fund medical emergencies, after selling blood couldn't cover the fees" list. I paid around $250 used in immaculate shape, but that was about 4 years ago.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 03:28:30 PM by Balog »
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 03:27:33 PM »
a 452 17hrm trainer is on my covet list
http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-special-military-training-rifle/
Anything CZ is on my covet list.  They have many many things on that website I really really want.
Blargh.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 05:47:06 PM »
My bro has a 452 - great little gun.

I have a CZ 527 in 7.62 x 39. I love that little gun...  :'(

I've been wanting one of those since they came out.
For entertainment purposes only.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 06:38:50 PM »
I love mine, but you knew that already. Holds the 10 ring at 100 yds no problem and that was with the Wolf ammo.  ;)

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 06:46:32 PM »
How much are mags for the 527? I <3 those lil things.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 06:51:41 PM »
I have to say I don't recall I'm afraid, I've had it a few years now. I don't remember them being overly expensive.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 07:15:48 PM »
Getting back to the rimfire models, I loved that one could safely dry fire them without damaging the firing pin. A significant advantage, in my mind.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 07:49:57 PM »
Getting back to the rimfire models
Yes sorry, just paying homage to my gun. You all know how it is.  =D

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 08:44:57 PM »
Getting back to the rimfire models

So, should I hold out for a 453, or should I snatch up this 452 while I have the chance?
Formerly sumpnz

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 09:16:51 PM »
I dunno about the varmint model, never handled one. If the weight and balance are right I'd snatch it up, myself. Guess it also depends on what you're using it for however...

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 09:31:31 PM »
I dunno about the varmint model, never handled one. If the weight and balance are right I'd snatch it up, myself. Guess it also depends on what you're using it for however...

I don't care quite so much about the difference between an American and a Varmint as the difference between a 452 and a 453.  The only real difference between the models is the 452 has a decent, adjustable single stage trigger.  The 453 has the same single-set trigger that my 550's have.  That set-trigger also has the effect, even in un-set mode, of increasing the length of pull (1/4"-1/2").

My main purpose in buying the rimfire is to have a gun that I can shoot high volumes of ammo through without bruising my shoulder or my wallet.  Basically marksmanship practice.  It might get used for small game hunting, but that's very secondary.  Anyway, the closer it is to my hunting rifles the better.  Hence why I originally wanted a 453.  But then the folks at RFC suggested that unless most of my hunting involved using the set-trigger option (so far it's about 40% that I used or should have used the set-trigger option) that I'd be just as well off with a 452, and could save, if I buy this used one that's available, $225 in the process.

I like the idea of saving the money, but also like the idea of getting a 453 while SWMBO is still OK with it.  Not to say I couldn't sell the 452 in a few years and get a 453 to replace it though.
Formerly sumpnz

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 01:07:33 AM »
Also, forgot to mention this.
Uncle has a .17HMR Anschutz that is totally sweet.  I was popping everything I wanted at 100 yards with it.
Holy crap.
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 10:42:17 PM »
Well, I'm going to go ahead and get that 452.  Now I'll just need to get going on ordering the scope, cleaning rod, ammo, etc. 
Formerly sumpnz

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 10:46:47 PM »
Don't order a coated .22 rod. The CZs are often tight in the bore and can cause binding.

Do get yourself a bore guide and either a .20 or .17 caliber rod. I use a .17 cal rod with an adaptor for the threads for the .22 cleaning implements. And don't order from Eric Brooks...

Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 12:03:32 AM »
I was looking a Dewey .20cal rod.  All the folks at RFC say the CZ's bores are too tight for most .22 rods to fit.
Formerly sumpnz

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 02:14:20 AM »
Or do what I do and get a boresnake then forget to ever use it. :lol:

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 10:33:17 AM »
On the (very) rare occasion I clean my 452, I just use a .22 boresnake. Seems to work well.

Beautiful rifles; mine has a crack in the stock from a few years back though... I had done some trigger mods I'd gotten from RimfireCentral.com, and wanted to test it to make sure it didn't fire from a little jolt afterwards. Note: Smacking the butt on a thin carpet floor with thin padding over concrete is not conducive to the health and safety of your firearm.

Also had the end of the barrel drilled and tapped to take iron sights. The holes ended up being too shallow to really hold a sight, so now I just have two ugly drilled holes in the end of the barrel. Learned a bit about how and what mods I'll do or have done, depending on the firearm.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 10:36:37 AM by Marnoot »

sanglant

• friend
rambling agian, sorry
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 05:45:39 PM »
I was looking a Dewey .20cal rod.  All the folks at RFC say the CZ's bores are too tight for most .22 rods to fit.
it's kinda cool if you have a microgroove(just marlin i think) looking down the barrels(take the bolts out i can't stand looking the other way [tinfoil]) the actually looks smaller. [popcorn] but the marlin(mine at least :angel:) seems to(i'm to lazy to set up to check :angel:) stabilize the agula sss rounds. ???

edit: seems like this isn't a good comparison(whoa i spelled that right the first time :O)
They also mentioned "...a bore of greater than standard size..." in their discussion of how Microgroove rifling did not engrave (distort) a bullet jacket as deeply as conventional rifling.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 05:50:25 PM by sanglant »

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 05:46:40 PM »
I should get a couple .22 bore snakes...will keep me from having to disassemble the more annoying ones to clean from the chamber first.