Author Topic: Ar15 question  (Read 4683 times)

zahc

• friend
Ar15 question
« on: July 29, 2013, 05:50:18 PM »
So, most AR15s have flash hiders. I understand the purpose of flash hiders. However, I don't understand their popularity. For the extra 1.5 inches of length, you could get extra velocity if you just had another 1.5 inches of actual barrel.

I have actually see people who build ultra-light ARs, when they don't want to have a SBR, they get a 14.5 inch barrel and weld a flash hider on it so the barrel length is 16". But I thought we shortened barrels so they were handy, so the idea of putting a permanent flash hider on your barrel so that you can make the real barrel shorter...it does not sense. Is it majorly bad luck to have an AR with just a normally-crowned barrel?

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Hutch

• friend
Re: Ar15 question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 05:51:42 PM »
The flash hider is cooler looking.  Can't overstate the value of cool.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 05:57:35 PM »
It's a combat gun.

As such, it's of greater defensive (or offensive) utility to have a carbine at 16" with 1.5" of flash hider to protect your night vision when engaging bugaboos in your house (or elsewhere in the dark), than to have an additional 25fps and a fireball that is visible when looking through your sights or EOTech or ACOG or whatever.

I see lots of "service rifle" AR's at High Power matches with no flash hider.  Full 20" barrel.  They seem to think the exposed/recessed crown is greater value than the flash hider, especially since the 15+ pound rifle only gets used during peak sunlight hours in the middle of the day.

Anyways, back to the 16" issue:  16" is the arbitrary magical ATF number "thou shalt not have a barrel less than."  So, go 14.5" and weld a 1.5" flash hider on it.  16", with the efficacy of the flash hider.  Maximum shortiness.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 07:03:33 PM »
So, most AR15s have flash hiders. I understand the purpose of flash hiders. However, I don't understand their popularity. For the extra 1.5 inches of length, you could get extra velocity if you just had another 1.5 inches of actual barrel.

That 1.5 inches doesn't add enough velocity benefit to overcome the dramatically increased muzzle flash.  My friend, Lisa, has a photo of her Bushmaster AR15, without a flash hider, creating a huge, donut-shaped fireball.  This was in broad daylight, which didn't affect her vision, but using that in a low light environment could cause problems.

I have actually see people who build ultra-light ARs, when they don't want to have a SBR, they get a 14.5 inch barrel and weld a flash hider on it so the barrel length is 16". But I thought we shortened barrels so they were handy, so the idea of putting a permanent flash hider on your barrel so that you can make the real barrel shorter...it does not sense. Is it majorly bad luck to have an AR with just a normally-crowned barrel?

Light rifles are good, but some states don't allow SBRs, and some owners don't want the extra cost or hassle of getting the tax stamp.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MikeB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 07:42:15 PM »
Many "Flash Hiders" act as a muzzle brake, and make it easier to keep on target with rapid fire or a happy switch.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 07:44:14 PM »
Many "Flash Hiders" act as a muzzle brake, and make it easier to keep on target with rapid fire or a happy switch.
Yup.
I have the YHM Phantom on mine, which acts as both.

I did do research into which hider... uh...  hid... the most.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 07:45:19 PM »
May not be a big issue but for a combat rifle that may get banged around a bit I thin the flash hider might also offer some protection to the muzzle.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 07:51:40 PM »
May not be a big issue but for a combat rifle that may get banged around a bit I thin the flash hider might also offer some protection to the muzzle.

I think so, too. Probably not likely a crown would be damaged, but it seems like it would help.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 09:07:15 PM »
Don't forget it's a political statement to have it as well.
I promise not to duck.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 09:12:53 PM »
I still want to get one of Bogie's "Zombie Brain Core Sampler" units for my AR...  :D
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 09:14:34 PM »
Don't forget it's a political statement to have it as well.

It's as American as the thing that goes up.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zahc

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 09:24:50 PM »
This all started because I decided it would be neat to have an ultralight AR15 "for the wife". I have seen some non-SBR builds under 5 pounds, including red-dot.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 10:25:35 PM »
FHs weigh less than barrel material.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 10:29:35 PM »
I have a new 16" unthreaded barrel setting here that has never been installed. I'm not going to pull my threaded barrel to compare weight but I don't think the difference would be much more then that of the velocity. Little to none.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zahc

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 10:37:26 PM »
So, are there any opinions as to the accuracy of "lightweight" barrel profiles? According to The Internet, the thinnest safe profile is about .56 inches in diameter, not counting the bits at the barrel nut and gas block, which have to be bigger to be compatible. Can I expect MOA accuracy out of a thin barrel like that, at least for the first couple rounds?

From what I understand, the M4A1 barrel profile is like .625 out to the gas block, and designed to fire some 500 rounds sustained full-auto before catastrophic failure, vhere the A2 is .75 inches out to the gas block, and goes over 900. Of course the M4 has a dinky 14-inch barrel, so I'm not sure how that plays in.

None of this matters for a gun that would be used to kill groundhogs and coyotes, with maybe 5 rounds fired.
--Tallpine

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 11:13:36 PM »
Buddy shot in a 3gun match last weekend, I videoed the rifle portion. Afterwards: "What the hell were you shooting? Some had no flash and some had a real fireball!" He had an ammo can of mixed Fed & PMC. I was shooting PMC w/ no noticeable flash in daylight, both of us using hider/brakes. Gotta think it was his Federals flashing.

Stay safe.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 11:16:05 PM »
the 20 inch govt profile is quite nice

"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

zahc

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 08:51:09 AM »
I was actually thinking about getting a 20-inch govt, chopping 3.5 inches off, and turning the end (past the sight block) down to match the beginning (just past the barrel nut). That would probably be as light as all the featherweight barrels, only cheaper (given that I have a lathe). I suppose it would rust, though, after I took off the coating. I would either get a different gas block or chop down the front sight post.
--Tallpine

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 11:06:13 AM »
a govt 20 AR15 with the PRI carbon fore arm is light enough

super light is building something up on a CAV arms lower

a full 30 round mag adds a pound

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=527546

Cav Arms Lower
Carbon-15 Stipper Upper
Bushmaster Super Lightweight Barrel

5 lb. 1 oz. (without magazine)
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

zahc

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 11:12:19 AM »
Does magpul make a 10-round PMAG (or 5-round, for states with retarded hunting laws)? I really like their 20-round PMAG and use them all the time. 30 is just too big.
--Tallpine

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 11:42:17 AM »
Does magpul make a 10-round PMAG (or 5-round, for states with retarded hunting laws)? I really like their 20-round PMAG and use them all the time. 30 is just too big.

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG559/PMAG
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2013, 12:00:27 PM »
Any folk build 20" bbls with the front sight assembly way out near the muzzle break to increase the sight radius?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2013, 02:25:49 PM »
bloop tubes

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 03:55:49 PM »

Unless you stick it in something really deep a flash hider is also easier to clean mud out of than a target crowned barrel.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:07:39 PM by Phantom Warrior »

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 04:38:38 PM »
So, are there any opinions as to the accuracy of "lightweight" barrel profiles? According to The Internet, the thinnest safe profile is about .56 inches in diameter, not counting the bits at the barrel nut and gas block, which have to be bigger to be compatible. Can I expect MOA accuracy out of a thin barrel like that, at least for the first couple rounds?

From what I understand, the M4A1 barrel profile is like .625 out to the gas block, and designed to fire some 500 rounds sustained full-auto before catastrophic failure, vhere the A2 is .75 inches out to the gas block, and goes over 900. Of course the M4 has a dinky 14-inch barrel, so I'm not sure how that plays in.

None of this matters for a gun that would be used to kill groundhogs and coyotes, with maybe 5 rounds fired.

Thin profiles can definitely be accurate. This one is a CAV MK2 lower, Clark carbon handguard, 16" Ko-Tonics barrel, and Weaver 1-3x20 scope. It's right at 6 lbs as pictured. The barrel is 6.8 SPC (.277), and it's .7" diameter under the handguard, .750 gas block, and .6 between the gas block and muzzle. The second pic was 3 rounds of 100gr Nosler Accubond over 30.0gr of AA2200 at 100 yards from that gun.

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?