Author Topic: Encounters with police  (Read 2924 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Encounters with police
« on: December 14, 2006, 01:40:55 PM »
Combat-Wombat's post got me thinking about the several "encounters" I've had with police over the years. One of the posters mentioned "Terry" stops, a term I've never heard. I've always used the term "rousts."

Anyway, I've been detained on suspicion of rape (suspect description was a black male, early 20's), suspicion of burglary, suspicion of murder, and just general suspiciousness.

The last time was in 1998 or 1999. I was in California on my motorcyle, and had been down to Big Sur. I was heading up to Lake Tahoe, and decided to stop in East Sacramento to get a motel for the night.

I was cruising up and down the main drag where all the motels and restaurants are when I saw the flashing lights in my mirror.

The officer, a young guy, walked up to me as I sat on my bike. Bear in mind that my hair was neatly trimmed, I'd been wearing my helmet, and I was wearing a clean leather vest over a button-down pinstripe shirt.

"What's the problem, officer?" I asked.

"I can't read your plates."

I got off the cycle to see what he was talking about. On my plates, it reads "WIS" in the lower left corner. I have two little reflectors on the plate mounting screws. The left one cuts into the lower left corner of the W in WIS by about 1/16".

"That's Wisconsin," I said.

"I can't read it."

I started to reach into my vest pocket to get my regisration. His hand went on his gun, and before I knew it I was across the hood of the squad.

After he'd frisked me, he allowed me to stand up and show him my license, registration and insurance card.

"What are you doing in Sacramento?"

"I'm on vacation, and was looking for a motel."

"What are you doing in California?"

"I'm travelling all over the West. I just came from Big Sur, and I'm now heading to Lake Tahoe."

He took my license and registration back to the squad, after telling me not to move.

While he was running my plates, another squad arrived, and the officer positioned the car off the road. He just sat in there watching me.

The first officer got out of his squad and came back to me.

"I'm not getting a reply yet on your plate."

"It's Wisconsin," I said. I then reached into my shirt pocket to get a cigarette.

His hand went back on his gun, and I was back on the hood of the squad.

Once he let me stand up again, I said, "I was just going to have a cigarette. Is that OK?"

"No. I don't like them."

He then went back to the squad.

This was now about 45 minutes that I'd been detained.

He came back from the squad and said, "I can't find anything on your plates. You can go. But find someplace else to stay other than Sacramento."

"Fine," I replied. "Where's the nearest entrance for the interstate?"

The suspicion of murder roust was back in the early 80's. I was with my wife and a friend of mine. We were sitting in a small bar owned by my friend's father.

A coin dealer had been shot and killed in his driveway. The only description the police had was the suspect was wearing a black leather jacket.

Well, so was I that night.

The two officers had me over the bar, and were frisking me.

The other patrons of the bar were yelling at the officers, saying that I'd been there for hours. I suggested to the officers that it might be better if they took me outside.

They agreed, but my friend followed us. With his usual bravado, he stood at the door of the bar, swearing at the officers.

One officer looked at my friend and said, "you realize we can throw your friend here in jail for the night, right?"

I turned to my friend and said, "Henry, get back in the damn bar."

A few more squads came by, as various officers wanted to look at me.

I suspect the two officers knew early on they were talking to the wrong person, but needed a way to save face. Once my friend was back inside, and after every officer in the precinct had looked me over, I was free to go.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Encounters with police
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 02:06:08 PM »
I thought you were white.  Such things only happen to Blacks, right?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 02:16:14 PM »
...and bikers, and hippys, and goths (they deserve hassling though grin), etc. etc. etc.

Meanwhile, yuppie types like me (and Ted Bundy, and Michael Skakel, etc.) just slide on by...
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 02:24:57 PM »
...and bikers, and hippys, and goths

and occasionally skateboarders and cyclists. Nevermind that you go out at night precisely to avoid being bothered and cause less trouble.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 02:27:04 PM »
Go out at night?  That's suspicious right there.

Unless you are well dressed, in a nice car, in a "good" part of town.  grin
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 05:12:00 PM »
Meanwhile, yuppie types like me (and Ted Bundy, and Michael Skakel, etc.) just slide on by...
Sometimes.  Both of my most recent run ins with the police have been when I looked like a clean cut yuppie.

1. Coming home from work late (23:30ish) I ride into the development and see cop cars and flashing lights EVERYWHERE, most of 'em in front of my home and blocking the entrance to my garage.  I ride past and park about 25 yards down the street to wait.  Being summer, I take off my helmet and open up the leather to breath.  After a bit, female cop walks toward me demanding to know what I was doing there.

"Waiting for you guys to leave."

"Well you can't wait here, go home."

"THIS is my home, your cars are blocking entrance to my garage and your fellows are standing around on my lawn blocking the entrance to my house.  So I wait."

"I nee to see your license and registration."

So I produce the documents for her.  Took 'em about 30 mintues to finish up and depart.

2. Few years later, a buddy who lived in town and I are out wandering, talking and checking out the historic architecture.  Cop thinks he's beeing sneaky by driving down the road with all lights off (this was at night) even though he's back-lit by a 1000 watt sodium vapor street light.  Rolls up on us and wants to know who we are and what we are doing out.  So we tell him, which apparently puzzled him and promted him to ask if we were arts students or something.  Nope, I'm a SysAdmin who studies the play of light across surfaces and textures while my buddy is a Engineering Change Coordinator who is a history buff.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Cosmoline

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 05:15:52 PM »
The city cops around here are pretty high strung.  I learned a long time ago to give them a very wide berth unless absolutely essential, pretty much like the local bears.  This is also why I'm very reluctant to call 911 unless I have specific evidence of an actual crime and reporting it would benefit me in some way.  I remember a few years back my then-roommate decided she would go see what all the fuss was when several APD cruisers were parked half a block down.  Big mistake!  The fellow she tried to talk to drew on her.  She was lucky to get back in one piece.  When they get nervous, they're likely to treat anyone who isn't in blue as a threat. 

What makes me angry is their constant use of pretense stops for license plate issues, burned out signals, etc. as a means of screening for drugs. When I had my black S-10 I'd get pulled over on an almost bi-weekly basis.  It never ended in arrest obviously, but after the umpeenth time of having ZEE PAPERS demanded you start to view the thin blue line as a large blue mob. 

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 06:27:56 PM »
Go out at night?  That's suspicious right there.

Unless you are well dressed, in a nice car, in a "good" part of town.  grin

Isn't that the truth.  This Thanksgiving my brother and I went for a walk after dinner so I could have a few cigarettes.  It was our first time in my mom's new neighborhood, so we walked in pretty much a big, easy to remember circle, until a cop car pulled over next to us.  The first cop was polite, professional, and was happy to make small talk with us while he waited for our IDs to clear.  The second cop, however, who showed up about five minutes after we were pulled over, was a complete ahole, and repeated several times that Cumberland, Maryland, population 22,, was a dangerous place for two white kids to be out in the middle of the night (8:30.)  He also harassed my brother for not having his license on him (he did have his passport, though, which he gave to the first office), and when my brother put his hands in his pockets he frisked both of us.  He also didn't believe we didn't know the names of the streets we had walked, despite us explaining several times that it was our first time in the area and me giving him a complete description, with landmarks, of where we walked and where we turned.

I live in Philly.  I used to live in NYC.  I know what a bad area feels like, and every single street we walked down felt safer than twenty feet out my front door here.  Oh, and the crime they were investigating?  Three teenagers peed on a generator.  Any city that can send out two squad cars on Thanksgiving to investigate a public urination/vandalism charge is not, in my opinion, a dangerous city.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 06:34:17 PM »
What's with all this checking of papers for no apparent reason? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ron

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 07:13:58 PM »
What's with all this checking of papers for no apparent reason?

Whats the matter? You got something to hide?

Only guilty people don't cooperate.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 10:19:59 PM »
Stalker broke into my home threatening to kill me. Shot & wounded him. Called the po-po. Got arrested. Went to trial. Arresting cop lied. Forensics backed me up. Got acquitted.
Got pulled over 2-3 times a week for a spell. "It's late, whereya goin?" To work, graveyard shift. "Can I search your car?" No. Did the roadside suspicion of DUI drill: touch nose, walk in a straight line, etc. Passed every time. Started calling it my aerobics since it was happening so much. Reasons for being pulled over: taillight out (popped the trunk, whipped out a screwdriver & fixed it on the spot), swerved (no, actually I was pulling over to let the cop who was tailgating me with super-bright high-beams on pass), but mostly no reasons given other than they really, really wanted to search my car. Strangely, most times they never asked for any papers. Funtime stopped when I mentioned this to their supervisor.
Never any problems with the Highway Patrol & I adore county sheriffs. City cops are another matter.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 04:39:21 AM »
So, the cop who lied...what sort of discipline did he receive for lying?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 04:53:55 AM »
My worst encounter was with AZ fish and game.....
There I am, walking along a canal in the middle of nowhere, with fishing pole in hand.  T shirt and jeans, combat boots, short hair, fishing gear in a small pack over one shoulder.  Its dusk, and I'm looking for a nice spot to sit on my ass and catch catfish.  Oh, and I've got a Ruger P95 in an OWB thumbbreak holster, 2 mags on the other side, maglight, leatherman, and pliers.  I see a truck driving towards me on the canal road.  Not unusual for farm workers or other fishermen to be on the road so I didn't even bat an eye, until the truck stopped, the door opened, and I began being yelled at.  Game warden with a shotgun, screaming at me like I was walking down the road with a freshly severed head.  Its been awhile, so I don't remember the exact words, but the brandishing word was thrown about, along with all kinds of other nonsense about carrying a firearm.  I tried to protest and was told to shut up, etc etc. Next thing I know I'm disarmed, cuffed, and in the back of the Bronco.  Along comes another F&G truck.  He looks me over, and begins yelling at the other officer.  Turns out the arresting officer is an overzealous newbie who thought I was breaking the law with a gun in a holster open carry in AZ.....A few minutes later I was back to fishing.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 09:50:44 AM »
overzealous newbie who thought I was breaking the law
Asshat!  Seems to be the norm rather than the exception these days.

Greg

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 01:22:27 PM »
LadySmith, I'm sorry you had to shoot. The treatment you got from the police after that is disgusting.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 03:25:28 PM »
overzealous newbie who thought I was breaking the law
Asshat!  Seems to be the norm rather than the exception these days.
Greg

I think this is largely due to the mechanization of the police force.  When SOP, statistics and forms rule the day the paper pushing superiors view said forms as the job, the street LEOs as cogs.  No one respects cogs.  Dehumanization of the LEOs leads to lack of civility in dealing with the general public.  And in some cases valuing form simplicity (advancement by statistics ect) over truth and justice.  My two bits anyways.
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 04:58:05 PM »
Last encounter 4 yrs ago shortly after daughter had died after 22 days in CCU. Rolling South on I-77, WV Turnpike; running near speed limit, traffic relatively heavy. Black VW comes up kinda quick, then bogs down in traffic, shortly Gold & Blue appears (WVSP Crown Vic), eases past several of us and moves to right lane then right shoulder. Figured he was lookin' over the VW. Pulled up behind me and lit me up. I stopped, both hands on wheel, window down (daylight), 100 lb GSD?Lab in passenger seat. She barked once at trooper:"Hush, he's agood guy".

"Mr. F, not only is your inspection sticker expired (which I knew) you tags are also expired."

"They are? I knew the sticker was out, the tags should be current."

"They're expired."

"OK". Gave him license, registration and proof of ins. Wrote me a ticket and wished me a nice day. Later i figured while dau was in hosp out of state (4 hr drive) probably received renewal notice and threw it in pile for wife's attention while home. During first few days of hospitalization we took turns stay at hosp. SWMBO does bills (sort of). Anyway, called magistrate. "How much?" Something like $135. Troop wrote inspection expired 2 months instead on 4 so new sticker dropped that fine. Expired reg $10, court costs $125. Sent check. Couple months later got check back :"Charges dropped". No further explanation, no questions on  my part. (Never occurred to me to tell troop why license expired).  Time was when several Sheriff's Dept and Troopers knew me but it's been a while. Never figured this one out.

No complaints about any police encounters I've every had, though fully understand they're just like the rest of us; i.e.: some are jerks!

Stay safe.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2006, 12:23:59 AM »
making deliveries in san francisco late at night on a motorcycle, I was running  late and
came up on a red light, I stopped, looked carefully and went thru it.
Went into a parking lot where two cops (yup, donuts and coffee) were looking at me mildly surprised.
them: you know you went thru a red light?
me: yup
them: why?
me: well I looked carefully (pregnant pause) and I didn't see any cops! angel grin cheesy

They thought that was hilarious and told me to have a nice night.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Strings

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2006, 04:08:21 PM »
luckily, the only times I get "problem officers" is when I really can't take the time to deal with it: late for work, tired, whatever. Only once got one when I had no particular rush...

It's between 11:30pm and 1 am, middle of January. I'd just dropped off a friend who had helped me at a gunshow, my wife was asleep in the backseat, and I had JUST turned onto the main highway back into town. Saw the car pull in behind me and thought "that's a cop". Car proceeds to ride RIGHT up my tailpipe, close enough that I can't see his headlights in my rearview. Start paying so much attention to him, that i go over the white line a bit: he lights me up. Stop, get out the DL, and this conversation ensues:

Officer: Have you been drinking tonight?
Me: No
O: tired?
M: No
O: On any medications?
M: N
O: Where you headed?
M: Home
O: Do you know why I stopped you?
M: No
O: Well... you went over the white line back there. Why'd that happen?
M: I was paying a bit too much attention to the ahole that was trying to drive up my tailpipe...

He handed me back my liscense, and wished me a nice night...

Had a cycle cop in San Diego stop me in one of the red light districts. I used to wander there for an hour or two to relax: sorta "window shopping". Was walking back to my car one night, and a girl approached me. Asked me about my boots, made some small talk, asked if I was interested in some company. I told her no, she walked back the way she had come. I thought nothing of it until I got to the lot where my car was, when a cop pulls up on his bike, starts reading me the riot act for talking to this girl, and even starts writing a ticket "that I'll submit if I ever see you out here again"...

Lil' bit of background here: I had recently been jumped, major damage done to my skull, and the police had done NOTHING about it (I was never even interviewed by an officer). So this guy starting in on me was a bad idea. When he started writing the ticket, I snapped: nothing violent, just a VERY pointed lecture on how writing that ticket would be the absolute end of his career, as I'd do every last thing I could to destroy him. He even threatened me with arrest: I offered him my hands and smiled. He tore up the ticket...

I propabaly would have handled it differently today: I KNOW just how bad I could've gotten screwed there. At that point though, I was totally fed up with San Diego PD and their BS...

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2006, 05:12:27 PM »
My worst encounter was with AZ fish and game.....
There I am, walking along a canal in the middle of nowhere, with fishing pole in hand.  T shirt and jeans, combat boots, short hair, fishing gear in a small pack over one shoulder.  Its dusk, and I'm looking for a nice spot to sit on my ass and catch catfish.  Oh, and I've got a Ruger P95 in an OWB thumbbreak holster, 2 mags on the other side, maglight, leatherman, and pliers.  I see a truck driving towards me on the canal road.  Not unusual for farm workers or other fishermen to be on the road so I didn't even bat an eye, until the truck stopped, the door opened, and I began being yelled at.  Game warden with a shotgun, screaming at me like I was walking down the road with a freshly severed head...

I think your encounter is particularly interesting because, in my experience, game warden types are the least jumpy and best adjusted in the sense of dealing with people of all law enforcement officers. Sadly, the reason for that may be (again "from my experience") because they spend more of their time dealing with animals and less with humans than any other LEO's.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2006, 08:53:01 AM »
Car proceeds to ride RIGHT up my tailpipe, close enough that I can't see his headlights in my rearview. Start paying so much attention to him, that i go over the white line a bit: he lights me up.
Fishing. angry
D. R. ZINN

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2006, 10:58:55 AM »
Car proceeds to ride RIGHT up my tailpipe, close enough that I can't see his headlights in my rearview. Start paying so much attention to him, that i go over the white line a bit: he lights me up.

Fishing.

He sensed a coffee can in your back seat.  grin

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2006, 11:35:42 AM »
He sensed a coffee can in your back seat.
Thanks carebear, I now have red wine all over my monitor and keyboard.  cheesy
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2006, 11:40:50 AM »
He sensed a coffee can in your back seat.
Thanks carebear, I now have red wine all over my monitor and keyboard.  cheesy

Wine?  Good G-d man, the sun is barely over the yardarm...  grin

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2006, 12:53:05 PM »
Cop friend of mine told me how he had a buddy who used that tactic . . . until one day the guy he was tailgating slammed on the brakes hard.

And after the collission, he just lays in the car, moaning in pain, demanding an ambulance . . . department paid $$$ for a whiplash (or something) claim.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain