Author Topic: Don't Look Up  (Read 1462 times)

zahc

• friend
Don't Look Up
« on: January 04, 2022, 01:38:50 AM »
Is there a thread for this movie yet?

Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

fifth_column

• friend
Re: Don't Look Up
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2022, 08:15:39 AM »
Don't think so. Is the movie any good? I've contemplated watching it.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 08:33:51 AM »
DON'T LOOK UP | Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence | Official Trailer | Netflix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbIxYm3mKzI

Not sure what to think of it based on the trailer. 

It doesn't seem real.  The media loves tragedy and "we are all going to die" stories.  If they ignored it, lots of other people would latch on to it.  Tragedy is also an opportunity for corrupt politicians. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2022, 08:45:31 AM »
I have not seen it but a bunch of stuff popped up in my YT feed and after a quick glance at a couple it appears it's basically a "the science in settled" movie where they switched out an asteroid for climate change with the usual expected "villains" for this type of film. Also it appears they tried to make it a comedy but failed completely in that regard, the word boring seemed to get used a lot.

Again I have not seen it, the above is my impression from a quick glance of a couple of YT reviews.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 08:51:48 AM »
From the trailer it looks like veteran actors were instructed to pretend they were students in a high elementary school film class making a movie . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 08:58:10 AM »
Gee, I wonder who she is suppose to be.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 09:04:56 AM »
I have not seen it but a bunch of stuff popped up in my YT feed and after a quick glance at a couple it appears it's basically a "the science in settled" movie where they switched out an asteroid for climate change with the usual expected "villains" for this type of film. Also it appears they tried to make it a comedy but failed completely in that regard, the word boring seemed to get used a lot.

Again I have not seen it, the above is my impression from a quick glance of a couple of YT reviews.
That makes more sense as far as what I saw on the trailer. 

If an astronomer saw a new comet heading anywhere near earth, I thought there would be astronomical channels to pass it along and other observatories who would look at it and verify the observation.  They certainly wouldn't be the only ones talking about it nor would they be talking to the President.  I can't imagine the President meeting with people who just show up claiming the world is going to end. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 09:10:05 AM »
That makes more sense as far as what I saw on the trailer. 

If an astronomer saw a new comet heading anywhere near earth, I thought there would be astronomical channels to pass it along and other observatories who would look at it and verify the observation.  They certainly wouldn't be the only ones talking about it nor would they be talking to the President.  I can't imagine the President meeting with people who just show up claiming the world is going to end.

I haven't seen it, so I'm only going by the trailers and reviews that I saw. They suggested that it's mostly about making fun of "science deniers". Given some of the actors in this, I could certainly see it as an agenda driven movie.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 09:21:15 AM »
SWMBO watched it. Political jabs that could only have been more obvious if the characters shared names with their IRL targets. Failed attempts at humor that come across as obnoxious. Kinda like two hours of listening to Seth Rogan laugh. Not my cup of tea. I got about 15 minutes in before I couldn't take any more.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 10:28:40 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2022, 09:42:57 AM »
The trailer seemed a little familiar somehow - not the story itself, but the way people in the film carried on.

And then I realized where I'd seen something else with the same general type of horrible writing, terrible directing, and bad acting - Iron Sky, that ghastly movie about Moon Nazis.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2022, 09:50:35 AM »
Iron Sky was intended to be campy, or "ghastly" as you put it Hank.  Is the movie under discussion meant to be taken seriously, or is it supposed to be stupid entertainment?  I admit I haven't watched the trailer.

ETA:  Okay, I just watched the trailer.  Or part of it, anyway.  Couldn't make it through the whole thing.  That movie is a train wreck.  It's obvious they weren't sure what they were making.  And based on real events?  In whose drug addled imagination is that thing based on real events?  I think it's a thinly veiled attempt at making political points about how they (feverishly) imagined the previous administration would have handled an apocalyptic situation.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 09:51:53 AM »
The trailer seemed a little familiar somehow - not the story itself, but the way people in the film carried on.

And then I realized where I'd seen something else with the same general type of horrible writing, terrible directing, and bad acting - Iron Sky, that ghastly movie about Moon Nazis.

Iron Sky was made just for the fun of it and was never meant to be anything other than a campy and silly movie. Because of that I can forgive the above. It is and was meant to be a beer and popcorn fun group movie and nothing more.
DLU appears at first glance to have been made for no other purpose other than to ram a political message down your throat.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 10:22:47 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2022, 10:17:29 AM »
An observation on the political/message movies...

Most of the left-wing ones REALLY suck. Ghostbusters Reboot was probably the poster child...

And I don't think Hollywood really understands its audience. Remember that Hunger Games movie? HOW did they allow that to happen? That thing was  VERY anti-media... But gee, the people in flyover country liked it...

addenum:

If you don't like the message movie/fiction/whatever, and force everyone you know to watch it and agree with you, then you are stupid, and probably an evil racist capitalist who hates puppies.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 10:44:42 AM by Bogie »
Blog under construction

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2022, 10:52:43 AM »
I would bet Meryl Streep's pay alone for DLU is more than what Iron Sky's total production budget was.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 11:22:17 AM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2022, 11:23:53 AM »
I have not seen it but a bunch of stuff popped up in my YT feed

The only thing I've see about it was yesterday, when a bit from the end of the moviet popped up in my YouToob. 

Watched it.  My thought was, someone was knocking around ideas on how to do a Seveneves movie, and decided to do a whole movie about the end of the world part.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2022, 11:37:13 AM »
I hit refresh and two videos pop up.
I may have to hit refresh a couple of times but 2 or three more will show up.
Think I got on a list or something.
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2022, 11:43:02 AM »
Iron Sky was intended to be campy, or "ghastly" as you put it Hank. . . .
OK, I know, I know, it was supposed to be campy and fun - but IMHO it failed miserably, compared to other campy movies like Dean Martin's Matt Helm spy spoofs, James Coburn's Flint movies, or even some of Mel Brooks stuff. (I'm not going to mention that other movie that put Sean Connery in a red diaper.)

When I see a really bad trailer like the one for DLU, first thing that comes to mind is - how bad is the rest of this movie?

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2022, 12:24:07 PM »
Deep Impact was worse...
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2022, 12:31:32 PM »
And I actually watched The Core in a movie theater. Yeah, it was a dull week.

Looking at upcoming stuff... 355 looks to be Ghostbusters Reboot does Spy Stuff...
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2022, 12:43:12 PM »
As for Iron Sky, I have to watch it now.

I've always loved you.

https://youtu.be/ZIUKbz1cj7o
Blog under construction

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2022, 02:23:00 PM »
We watched it over the Christmas break.  Satire humor with some giggles but not really all that great.  Gotta look past the left leaning bs if you watch it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2022, 03:58:44 PM »
I enjoyed Iron Sky.  Yes, it was campy and bad, but had a little bit of real humor.  Iron Sky II went off the deep end with how ridiculous it was. 

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2022, 04:14:25 PM »
It would have been better with flying sharks and Tara Reid...
Blog under construction

zahc

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2022, 05:07:22 PM »
I'm surprised at the uniform negativity. I thought it was kind of like Idiocracy but for the internet censorship generation. The parts where they got banned for going against the media narrative, or the science getting cherry-picked, etc. were pretty relevant.

Of course the allegory of comet=AGW is absurd enough to wave away, but the absurdity of the world's response was funny and a good spoof of the apocalypse movie standard where everyone (with US in a starring role) bands together and saves the world.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2022, 07:12:12 PM »
This movie is wrong on SO many levels. I love it.
Blog under construction