Author Topic: DC to Vote on Gun Bill in Response to Supreme Court Ruling  (Read 7181 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
DC to Vote on Gun Bill in Response to Supreme Court Ruling
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:05:07 PM »
WASHINGTON   The District of Columbia Council planned to vote Tuesday on emergency legislation to allow handguns, but only if they are used for self-defense in the home and carry fewer than 12 rounds of ammunition.

The legislation announced Monday comes as officials try to comply with a U.S. Supreme Court ruling last month striking down the city's 32-year-old weapons ban.

The proposal, which maintains some of the city's strict gun ownership rules and adds more regulations, was immediately criticized by gun rights advocates. They threatened more legal action.

The nation's capital would still require all legal firearms  including handguns, rifles and shotguns  to be kept in the home unloaded and disassembled, or equipped with trigger locks. There would be an exception for guns used against the "reasonably perceived threat of immediate harm."

The proposed legislation also maintains the city's unusual ban of machine guns, defined as weapons that shoot at least 12 rounds without reloading. That applies to most semiautomatic firearms.

"We have crafted what I believe to be a model for the nation in terms of complying with the Supreme Court's Second Amendment decision and at the same time protecting our citizens," interim Attorney General Peter Nickles said.

The National Rifle Association strongly disagreed.

"Clearly, D.C. is doing everything they can to ignore the Supreme Court ruling," said Chris W. Cox, the NRA's chief lobbyist. He said the organization would pursue legal or legislative action to thwart the city's efforts.

The legislation also would require a ballistics test to determine if a handgun is stolen or has been used in a crime.

Police Chief Cathy Lanier will limit registration to one handgun per person for the first 90 days to make sure as many people are served as possible. And those who wish to register a handgun must pass written and vision tests.

Residents who already own handguns will be granted six months of amnesty to legally register their weapons, officials said.

The emergency legislation, which has strong support from the council, will remain in effect for 90 days. It adopts many of the regulations proposed earlier this month by D.C. Council member Phil Mendelson.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,382381,00.html

How much more of our tax dollars are going to have to go to "defend" this assinine proposal.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: DC to Vote on Gun Bill in Response to Supreme Court Ruling
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 09:06:23 PM »
Kicking and screaming, they must be dragged.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 11:04:11 PM »
And those who wish to register a handgun must pass written and vision tests.

I wonder where the bar will be set on the vision test? My spidy sense tell me pretty high.

Also my kingdom for a 12rnd revolver. Sure it'd be huge but oh so worth it.
Look, tiny text!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 03:36:29 AM »

I wonder where the bar will be set on the vision test? My spidy sense tell me pretty high.

Nahhh, it'll be an easy 10,000 question test written in a combination of Aramaic, Sanskirt, Hittite, Hieroglyphic Luwian, and Attic Greek. Time limit of 30 minutes and you must get 100% to pass.

As for the vision test you just need to be able to read the dedication plaque on the Golden Gate Bridge from Washington DC.

That'll be considered "reasonable restrictions".
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

taurusowner

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 03:42:04 AM »
Now will a whole new SC case have to come to fruition in a few years to challenge all of this?  Or can something be done quickly by the SC to stop them from avoiding complying with the ruling?  It would suck if it only took a few weeks for the antis to lawyer their way around compliance every time a ruling is made, but it takes us years to even get the case heard by the SC.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 04:22:34 AM »
The founding fathers would grab their muskets, plenty of ball and powder, and some rope.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 05:00:39 AM »
I'm of the firm belief that global warming is caused by the friction generated as the Founding fathers spin in their graves.....
Hi.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 06:37:55 AM »
All the lawyer games will accomplish is people ignoring the law.

A general climate of lawlessness may be the unconscious goal here.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 07:49:25 AM »
DC is a hopeless quagmire.

It's time for the US to pull out.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 07:54:39 AM »
"We have crafted what I believe to be a model for the nation in terms of complying with the Supreme Court's Second Amendment decision and at the same time protecting our citizens," interim Attorney General Peter Nickles said.

Death is too quick a cure for this kind of hubris.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 08:35:52 AM »

laugh  As if those two things were somehow at odds, rather than being the exact same thing.  I love this guy.  He makes me laugh.   rolleyes angry
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 10:00:03 AM »
If exercising the right to keep and bear arms requires a test, then no doubt verifying a person's literacy before allowing them to vote is permissible, too.

If there's a fee for the registration or other paperwork that DC feels is reasonable before someone can exercise that right, then it would certainly be acceptable to charge a modest sum before someone is allowed to vote - perhaps it can even be called a poll tax.

(Is it possible to make the DC mayor and city council personally responsible for all legal fees when they get spanked for their defiance of the SCOTUS' ruling?)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

taurusowner

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 02:52:15 PM »
If Rights weren't involved, a literacy and competency test before voting might not be such a bad idea....

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 05:34:49 PM »
I wonder if the vote will be in an open forum or closed to the public.

Would be nice to have 1,000 gun owners there raising a ruckus.   grin

Marvin Dao

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 05:41:33 PM »
The nation's capital would still require all legal firearms  including handguns, rifles and shotguns  to be kept in the home unloaded and disassembled, or equipped with trigger locks. There would be an exception for guns used against the "reasonably perceived threat of immediate harm."

I wonder if they're trying to piss off the Supreme Court with this one. They argued this exact thing in front of the SC and still got the law struck down.

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 05:49:24 PM »
What is the penalty for contempt of the SC?
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 06:12:46 PM »
Remember the DC Court of Appeals ruled against them before.  It may not have to go all the way to the Supremes.

The challenge to the law on the readiness and semi-auto issues may be upheld prior to it going very far at all.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

m1911owner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 08:19:25 PM »
Remember the DC Court of Appeals ruled against them before.  It may not have to go all the way to the Supremes.

Which way did the district court go on this one?  It's been so long, I've forgotten.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 09:01:28 PM »
The District Court ruled in favor of Heller.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 10:51:55 AM »
Well, the Council has passed the "emergency legislation" unanimously. Off to court we go.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

FiveBillionAcres

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 08:47:41 PM »
WTF did Peter Nickle not even read the ruling?

When do you EXPECT to have your home invaded? And how long before can you assemble your gun?

I tell you America and her people have lost their spine and venom and sit in quit fear of the police. It's sick, the people of DC need to make an angry mob and get some things done..

Then again in my perfect America we'd amputate a couple of the states and return to proper freedom. California would make a lovely independent country wouldn't it? Heck all the states would make nice countries sounds like a novel idea.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 09:27:52 PM »
Here's the really infuriating aspect.

Say someone disobeys the law and keeps a gun loaded and in their bedside table. They use it to stop someone who kicks in their door.

Then they get arrested, because they couldn't possibly have assembled the firearm in that time, and must have been breaking the law.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 12:15:36 AM »
Then again in my perfect America we'd amputate a couple of the states and return to proper freedom. California would make a lovely independent country wouldn't it? Heck all the states would make nice countries sounds like a novel idea.

We could always give California to Mexico.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2008, 12:25:20 AM »

Also my kingdom for a 12rnd revolver. Sure it'd be huge but oh so worth it.

20-round revos exist.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 12:26:18 AM »
But they would be illegal in DC right now.