Author Topic: The Indispensable Sex + The SECDEF Lied  (Read 4935 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
The Indispensable Sex + The SECDEF Lied
« on: February 11, 2016, 11:32:50 AM »
Read them on Martin van Creveld's home page.

MVC is one hell of an historian, with plenty of books under his belt.  Some of which are wonderfully good and insightful.  Why is he not more well-known?  Mostly because he does not flatter those in power who repeatedly screw the pooch, year in and year out. 

I have read his recent stuff on the cheap via Kindle and much of his older stuff not yet available on Kindle via Abebooks. 

Of the two most remarkable books I have read by him, one was on logistics, the other on the impossible quest of equality (of any sort at any time).

Anyways, here are bits from those two articles.  One by MVC, one by Bill Lind

The Indispensible Sex
Martin Van Creveld

Last week a female Israeli soldier, Hadar (meaning, roughly, “Splendor,” or “Glory,”) Cohen, was killed in the course of duty. Two months into the Israel Defense Force, just two days after she had completed her basic training and taken the military oath of allegiance, she found herself standing guard at Old Jerusalem’s Damascus Gate. With her were another female soldier and some male comrades. Three terrorists (some would call them Palestinian freedom fighters) armed with knives, submachine guns which they concealed under their coats emerged. One terrorist stabbed and was able to wound the other female soldier before Hadar gunned him down, probably saving her comrade’s life. Thereupon a second terrorist turned on her and stabbed her to death before he and the third terrorist present were “wasted”—this is standard language—by her fellow soldiers. She was nineteen years old.

...she volunteered to do a man’s job; i.e was trained to become what both the IDF and the media call a lohemet, meaning either “fighter” or “warrior.”

But do not allow yourself to be misled. The term does not mean she went through anything like a full infantryman’s course. No Israeli woman does, and of those who tried to do so on a more or less experimental basis many have been injured, some of them very badly. All it means is that she was taught how to use her weapon, apparently a shortened version of the M-16 rifle (the real thing would have been too long for her to operate efficiently), and put into a bulletproof vest. So equipped, she was made to stand guard at what is currently one of the most dangerous spots in Israel; dangerous in the sense that, over the last few weeks, it has been the scene of several more or less similar attacks.

There is a lot more.  MVC's argument is from practicality/indispensability.

The SECDEF Lied
Bill Lind

In announcing that all positions in the U.S. armed forces would be opened to women, Secretary of Defense Ashton B. Carter lied. According to the December 4 New York Times, he said,

They’ll [women] be able to serve as Army Rangers and Green Berets, Navy SEALS, Marine Corps infantry, Air Force parajumpers, and everything else that was previously open only to men.

That statement is false. Women will not be able to do those things. Their bodies are not designed to do many of the tasks those positions entail. So long as realistic standards are maintained for those specialties, women will not be able even to qualify for them much less perform adequately in them. Men and women are different, physically and mentally, and their traditional social roles reflect their inherent differences.

Had the Truth Fairy landed on the SECDEF’s tongue as he was about to make his announcement, he would have said,

We are opening all positions in the armed forces to women. Women will not be able to do many of the duties entailed especially in the combat arms. We–the Obama administration–don’t care about that. Our ideology of cultural Marxism demands we pretend men and women are interchangeable. We will do whatever is necessary to maintain that illusion. In this case, if women cannot meet the standards, we will change the standards. If not enough women make it into the combat arms, we will establish quotas.

If, in combat, women cannot perform the mission, that’s not our problem. If it means lost engagements and unnecessary American casualties, what is that to us? Our ideology comes first. Get with the party’s program–or else.

Here again we see the slide of state armed forces into history’s wastebasket. Playthings of a political establishment that knows nothing of war, they exist for every purpose except fighting.

More at the linky.

Bill Lind is also no slouch.  Read up on his 4th Gen / four generations of modern war for a different take on our current crisis.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: The Indispensable Sex + The SECDEF Lied
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 12:50:17 PM »
Good info. Will have to check them out! Thanks!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 03:52:35 PM »
Thanks Roo. I'll be reading.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 04:13:22 PM »
That statement is false. Women will not be able to do those things. Their bodies are not designed to do many of the tasks those positions entail. So long as realistic standards are maintained for those specialties, women will not be able even to qualify for them much less perform adequately in them. Men and women are different, physically and mentally, and their traditional social roles reflect their inherent differences.

Kendra Pacelli is fictional.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 04:23:02 PM »
Kendra Pacelli is fictional.

Williamson is a realist, if a bit of an ass, and you will of course remember that everyone, but especially women, is stimmed up to *here* in those novels if they are in a combat assignment.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 04:32:49 PM »
Can I just point out one *little* flaw in the OP?

The M16/AR15 is not a big rifle. The reason she had a carbine version cannot be because the regular size was too big for her.
I mean, seriously, that's just stupid.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 04:38:24 PM »

The M16/AR15 is not a big rifle. The reason she had a carbine version cannot be because the regular size was too big for her.

I didn't read that as her being incapable, but it being unsuitable for the task as a guard. (Too long to operate efficiently.)

It is poor wording on his part, whichever is his intended meaning.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 04:51:16 PM »

There was a poster on THR by the name of J Shirley. He said he had trouble firing the M16 when wearing body armor, due to his short stature. He preferred the adjustable stock on the M-4. Perhaps that's what's at play.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 04:56:12 PM »

A2 buttstocks are actually pretty long- they are about the right length for a 50th percentile 1st world male who is around 5'9-5'10".
As far as weight?
My son (13) is about 5'3and 130lbs- which makes him just slightly smaller than the 50th percetile woman in the developed world (5'4" 135-140lb), but he is much strongeras the weight distribution is less fat and a lot more muscle. He complains that a relatively stripped down (VFG, red dot sight) carbine is 'heavy'....

Also anecdotally, I've taken a lot of women shooting, and they've all commented on how heavy a carbine was...

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 04:57:16 PM »

There was a poster on THR by the name of J Shirley. He said he had trouble firing the M16 when wearing body armor, due to his short stature. He preferred the adjustable stock on the M-4. Perhaps that's what's at play.

There are also a lot of medium to short men who shoot competitively who use an A1 buttstock because its shorter.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 05:28:48 PM »
A1 and a2 buttstocks too big for my wife.  M4gery to bbl heavy.  Will build her a "super lightweight" witha pencil bbl 6pos stock and lightweight handguards in the 6lb range. 

The first article caused me to think of the admomition not to throw pearls before swine.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 06:24:56 PM »

The M16 is a meter long,  it's definitely not short.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 06:40:08 PM »

I can attest to that.  The A2 stock sucks for a guy like me with stubby arms and a flak jacket.  Had a hell of a time adjusting the first time they made us qualify wearing one.  I run A1 length on my rifle builds now (or adjustable).  My favorite is a Stag that started has a heavy barrel rifle with an A2 stock. Sent the upper into ADCO to reprofile to a light weight and stuck the A1 stock on it.  Handles great now.  The balance is perfect.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 06:42:20 PM »
I'm 5'11' with long arms, and even I have issues with an M16A2 and body armor. Unless you are prone you end up having to hunch your head and neck forward awkwardly to get lined up behind the rear sight.  Yet another reason the US Army has put at least an Aimpoint on damn near everything.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 07:17:13 PM »

Not a flaw. Many soldiers, many women included, cannot properly fire an M16 while wearing body armor.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 07:39:25 PM »

I'm not sure if I hate my gender, the opposite one or am just completely underwhelmed by the weird perception in the gun world that plastic rifles in 5.56 could possibly be considered heavy...  ???

I consider my old Dissipator with a solid stock to be a flipping wiffle bat.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 08:33:13 PM »

I'm not sure if I hate my gender, the opposite one or am just completely underwhelmed by the weird perception in the gun world that plastic rifles in 5.56 could possibly be considered heavy...  ???

I consider my old Dissipator with a solid stock to be a flipping wiffle bat.

It may have to do with the length of time it is to be carried. I can't speak to the young Israeli gal's experience, but I found M16A2's to get heavy after a few miles at low ready.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 08:37:02 PM »

I'm not sure if I hate my gender, the opposite one or am just completely underwhelmed by the weird perception in the gun world that plastic rifles in 5.56 could possibly be considered heavy...  ???

It's a perception fostered by a generation that didn't train with an M1 Garand or an M14.

Some people think an M16 recoils, too ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 09:13:47 PM »

It may have to do with the length of time it is to be carried. I can't speak to the young Israeli gal's experience, but I found M16A2's to get heavy after a few miles at low ready.

Fistful, anything can feel heavy if you hold it a certain way for long enough.

That does not mean the M16 is a heavy rifle.

Hell, during the show apocalypse last month, I had to hike with two new pillows down my driveway (it's a long driveway) and the pillows were heavy by the time I got to the house.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 09:38:30 PM »
Fistful, anything can feel heavy if you hold it a certain way for long enough.

That does not mean the M16 is a heavy rifle.

I didn't say it's a heavy rifle. If I remember correctly, the A2 is about 8-1/2 pounds, which makes it about on par with a scoped bolt-rifle. I'm just saying that you might not notice how much heavier it is than something else, if you're not carrying it for a while. I don't know what your experience is. Maybe you've never carried one farther than from the car to the shooting bench. I don't know.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2016, 10:00:53 PM »
Its not the weight that makes an m4 carbine necessary, it's the length of the stock (with body armor)
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2016, 10:09:26 PM »

I didn't say it's a heavy rifle. If I remember correctly, the A2 is about 8-1/2 pounds, which makes it about on par with a scoped bolt-rifle. I'm just saying that you might not notice how much heavier it is than something else, if you're not carrying it for a while. I don't know what your experience is. Maybe you've never carried one farther than from the car to the shooting bench. I don't know.

Or I've just spent most of my time shooting heavier rifles.  ;/

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2016, 10:28:27 PM »
Or I've just spent most of my time shooting heavier rifles.  ;/

Or never actually carried one in the same context as the rest of us are talking about.  But hey,  girl power! ;/

Fitz called it with regards to running an M16 while wearing armor.  It's just awkward if you don't have gorilla arms.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2016, 11:01:40 PM »
Or never actually carried one in the same context as the rest of us are talking about.  But hey,  girl power! ;/

Fitz called it with regards to running an M16 while wearing armor.  It's just awkward if you don't have gorilla arms.

That would be me.  6'1", but I need 37" sleeves in my dress shirts.  The A1 stock worked for me, with and without armor. 

As for weight, when I was at West Point in the 80s, we used M-14 rifles for parades, but also for road marches and such, but used M-16s for marksmanship and tactical training.  The 14s made the 16s seem really light.  They were A1s.

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2016, 11:34:21 PM »
Or I've just spent most of my time shooting heavier rifles.  ;/

I was talking about carrying the rifle.