Author Topic: Cool barn find- chainsaw related  (Read 474 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Cool barn find- chainsaw related
« on: October 06, 2019, 01:45:53 PM »
Ok first it’s not like the pickers reality show. It was my own barn. And it’s really more like rediscovering.
Many years ago (over 25?) I bought a new stihl power saw. There was a big sale and promotion going on at the time. Along with the saw I got a gas can. Not just any gas can. A made in Germany Blitz metal can and metal detachable spout that clips over a detachable lower tool pan that seals with a rubber gasket. 3.8L or 1 gal US. Build quality is way above current expectations.
I had used it years ago and lost track of it and eventually forgot all about it. The 2 spare chains were rusty in the tool bin but there was a needle point greaser adapter and a couple files and file guide in pretty good condition. It had enough 2 cycle fuel in the tank on top that there was no internal rust. The tank looks like new inside.
The outside has significant scrapes and rust spots but no pitting. I’m currently sanding and priming and I’ll try to get some stihl decals for the side to replace the original STIHL after repainting.
It’s really pretty cool and I’ve never seen another one anywhere. I’ll have to decide if I put it back into service after refurb or just put it on a shelf in the garage.
Some days, it doesn’t take much of a project to get me excited.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: Cool barn find- chainsaw related
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 02:32:24 PM »
Further research indicates it was 1986-87 and they are quite collectible.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: Cool barn find- chainsaw related
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 08:21:17 PM »
Neat discovery.  Old tools can be cool.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.