Author Topic: Why Is That Cop's Finger in Your Butt?  (Read 3056 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Why Is That Cop's Finger in Your Butt?
« on: May 11, 2015, 12:46:03 PM »
http://reason.com/archives/2015/05/11/why-is-that-cops-finger-in-your-butt

Last month the Texas House of Representatives unanimously approved a bill that requires police officers to obtain a warrant before probing the anuses and vaginas of motorists during traffic stops. The fact that the bill was deemed necessary speaks volumes about the way the war on drugs has eroded our Fourth Amendment rights and encouraged cops to inflict outrageous indignities on people they suspect of violating pharmacological taboos.

Halla-freaking-luia.  Senate still needs to vote in it.

According to DPS, searches like these are contrary to department policy, but apparently not all troopers got the memo. So you can begin to understand the motivation behind the bill that the Texas House passed last week, which was sponsored by Rep. Harold Dutton Jr. (D-Houston) and still needs approval from the state Senate. Dutton's bill says "a peace officer may not conduct a body cavity search of a person during a traffic stop unless the officer first obtains a search warrant pursuant to this chapter authorizing the body cavity search."

You might think Dutton's bill is redundant, since we already have a Fourth Amendment, which prohibits "unreasonable searches." If these highly invasive, weakly justified searches do not qualify as unreasonable, what would?
But while the courts probably would conclude that the searches described by these five women were unconstitutional, it is not hard to see how an overzealous drug warrior might think otherwise.

The U.S. Supreme Court has upheld routine strip searches of arrestees, even people accused of minor offenses such as marijuana possession or failure to wear a seat belt. In those cases the searches, aimed at finding weapons or contraband, took place in jail prior to confinement. But in 2003 the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals ruled that the Fourth Amendment allows warrantless inspection of body cavities in other settings as a "search incident to arrest."

The Supreme Court also has indicated that warrantless body cavity searches are permissible near the border as part of the government's drug interdiction efforts.

There would be no need if we immediately transported them back to their country of origin. Let them crap out the contraband back in their dunghill home country.

In 2009 the Court ruled that public school officials went too far when they looked in the underwear of an eighth-grader suspected of bringing ibuprofen to school. But that decision left open the possibility that a strip search might be constitutional in a case involving a drug scarier than Advil if there was reason to believe a student had hidden it under her clothing.

Tar + Feathers + Educrat.  ASAP.

Burrows' bill goes further than Dutton's by requiring a warrant for a body cavity search of anyone detained (but not arrested) by police, whether during a traffic stop or in another context. It also requires that body cavity searches be conducted "in a private, sanitary place…in accordance with medically recognized, hygienic practices"; forces law enforcement agencies to pay medical costs associated with searches regardless of the results; and makes evidence obtained in violation of the new rules inadmissible in court. Sadly, the concern that people forced to undergo such searches will be stuck with the resulting medical bill, even when no contraband turns up, is no more fanciful than the concern that traffic cops will commit sexual assault in the name of enforcing our drug laws.

Nothing I can see to disagree with Burrow's bill, either.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Why Is That Cop's Finger in Your Butt?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 12:58:12 PM »

While it don't think it should be done to every judge, I think every decision made by SCOTUS should be done to SCOTUS. Private property can be bought for pennies on the dollar for private gain? Nice house, Your Honor, here's a check for $50k. Thumbs up on warrantless probing? Go get the gloves.

Seriously, the Bill of Rights is not that complex and simple human decency should cover everything else.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 01:09:21 PM »
Wonder how many have gone unreported?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 04:21:24 PM »
What the haitch-eee-double hockey sticks are non-medical persons doing making intrusive probes of body organs?  Is  that not practicing medicine without a license?  Are there any police agencies that do not have a policy prohibiting that activity and requiring the suspect be taken to a doctor so they can repeatedly be probulated?

Strip/squat/cough is about as intrusive on privacy as I'm willing to go, but it better be in a manner and place that does not expose the person to public view (and that includes cops who are not directly involved in the exercise).

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 06:38:41 PM »
While it don't think it should be done to every judge, I think every decision made by SCOTUS should be done to SCOTUS. Private property can be bought for pennies on the dollar for private gain? Nice house, Your Honor, here's a check for $50k. Thumbs up on warrantless probing? Go get the gloves.

Seriously, the Bill of Rights is not that complex and simple human decency should cover everything else.

Rev, let me personally thank you for not requiring this of everyone who wears a robe for work.   :lol:
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 06:43:34 PM »
Rev, let me personally thank you for not requiring this of everyone who wears a robe for work.   :lol:
Why?

"As punishment I hereby order that you be banished to Tahiti, to live out your days in sandals on white sandy beaches, receiving a monthly stipend in lieu of prison costs."
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 07:06:43 PM »
I am kind of amazed that this was even a thing to need a law about.  :O

I thought the butt/hoo hoo search didn't happen until you had been taken to the jailhouse.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 07:24:06 PM »

Overwhelming bulk of judges are fairly low level, and while they do have plenty of discretion (less than some believe, but a lot), at the end of the day, they can be overruled by multiple different levels. Ideally that should keep them generally in check.

Plus, with respect, but if you went off the walls bonkers and ruled that submission to the Flying Spaghetti Monster was mandatory, it's not going to be enforceable outside of a limited area. 99.9% of what you do is applicable only to the people in front of you. Only when you get to the federal circuit court do judges have the chance and power to screw over the entire country.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 07:26:54 PM »

I thought the butt/hoo hoo search didn't happen until you had been taken to the jailhouse.

Stay out of Texas and New Mexico.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 07:55:24 PM »
I never heard of this, but anything that strengthens 4th amendment protections ought to be a good thing. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

roo_ster

• friend
Re: Re: Why Is That Cop's Finger in Your Butt?
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 08:08:47 PM »

The final fingering outrage was a female cop on the side of the road probing both poop chute and love tunnel of two gals suspected of hiding wacky tobaccy.  The female cop wore the same gloves for all of this.  Iirc it was on video.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Re: Why Is That Cop's Finger in Your Butt?
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 08:28:28 PM »
The final fingering outrage was a female cop on the side of the road probing both poop chute and love tunnel of two gals suspected of hiding wacky tobaccy.  The female cop wore the same gloves for all of this.  Iirc it was on video.

:O

Please tell me the cop and the department was sued big time.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

roo_ster

• friend
Re: Re: Re: Why Is That Cop's Finger in Your Butt?
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 10:15:19 PM »
Female fingering trooper was fired then reinstated.  Texas dps was sued.  Not sure the outcome.  The gals got a ticket for marijuana paraphenalia.

I was right.  It was all on dash cam video to immortalize the womens roadside humiliation.

Are we not all glad for sovereign immunity?
:O

Please tell me the cop and the department was sued big time.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 06:40:00 AM »
In one case there was a settlement I believe of about $180,000.  It is mentioned in the link.

The one female that got the anal probe instead of the other one, was because she was on her cycle. [barf]
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!