Author Topic: Why sane people shouldn't go to crazy places  (Read 6446 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Why sane people shouldn't go to crazy places
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2015, 08:30:11 AM »
What about female Pennsylvania residents who accidentally cross into New Jersey with a gun in the glove box (and a PA carry permit)?

Oh, wait -- I forgot we were discussing foreign countries. Never mind -- just another case like the Marine in Mexico.

Eh, difference is, I'd argue what she did was not illegal under the Second Amendment and that NJ's law is invalid.  ;)

I do respect the concept of sovereignty for countries. It's in no way hypocrisy to say a country has good or bad laws, but it's the height of stupidity to pretend they can't enforce said laws because reasons.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2015, 10:30:41 AM »

Do you really approve of Mexico arresting a U.S. Marine for accidently crossing into Mexico with his issue M4 and being stuck in a hell-hole Mexican grey bar hotel?

He had his privately owned firearms in his car.  If he had his issued M4 in his POV, he'd be in a world of *expletive deleted*it on both sides of the border.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2015, 11:23:47 AM »
I do respect the concept of sovereignty for countries. It's in no way hypocrisy to say a country has good or bad laws, but it's the height of stupidity to pretend they can't enforce said laws because reasons.

I agree completely.

It's also the height of stupidity to be (apparently) running a gin mill in a country that is known for anot allowing consumption of alcoholic beverages. Especially if you've lived and worked there for 25 years.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2015, 01:00:29 PM »

He had his privately owned firearms in his car.  If he had his issued M4 in his POV, he'd be in a world of *expletive deleted*it on both sides of the border.

No, he was carrying his M4 and accidently crossed the border without realizing it.  IIRC he even disassembled the M4 hoping the Mexican authorities would take it into account but they didn't.
The incident you refer to is a different, and in fact, a more recent one.
Both, however, are illustrative enough of the dogmatic application of harsh Mexican laws to innocent Americans who accidently run afoul of them.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »

No, he was carrying his M4 and accidently crossed the border without realizing it.  IIRC he even disassembled the M4 hoping the Mexican authorities would take it into account but they didn't.
The incident you refer to is a different, and in fact, a more recent one.
Both, however, are illustrative enough of the dogmatic application of harsh Mexican laws to innocent Americans who accidently run afoul of them.

I'm calling BS on this one too.  Got a link?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2015, 06:34:35 PM »
Not after  ______many years. Look, if you don't want to believe me, that's fine.  Either way I'm not going to become embroiled in a Internet squabble.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2015, 06:56:28 PM »
Look.  The Marine knew he was headed into Mexico and that there was no turnaround before he crossed the border.  But he chose to continue moving forward instead of stopping, walking back to the USBP/CBP station, explaining his dilemma and seeing if there was anything that could be done.

Cause a traffic jam and maybe have your car dinged or keep going forward?

While in the midst of the situation it is often difficult to consider all possibilities, the most difficult one apparently being to stop right where you are and try to think your way through the situation.

It's a teaching moment.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
I WAS NOT TALKING ABOUT THAT INCIDENT.

:facepalm:

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2015, 07:22:41 PM »
Inside voice please.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2015, 08:07:39 PM »
Not after  ______many years. Look, if you don't want to believe me, that's fine.  Either way I'm not going to become embroiled in a Internet squabble.

I'm not interested in a squabble, but I'm mildly curious. Was it this guy, or someone else?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/05/02/marine-mexico-guns-jail/8636079/
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2015, 09:36:03 PM »
I'm not interested in a squabble, but I'm mildly curious. Was it this guy, or someone else?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/05/02/marine-mexico-guns-jail/8636079/

Honestly the same thing as Fistful.  Honest curiosity.  Short of taking my rifle and booking it off base instead of turning it in to the armory immediately a FX,  I can't see how that would be possible.

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

TommyGunn

• friend

Honestly the same thing as Fistful.  Honest curiosity.  Short of taking my rifle and booking it off base instead of turning it in to the armory immediately a FX,  I can't see how that would be possible.

OK, I am going to (ONE LAST TIME AND I WILL USE WHATEVER "VOICE" I DANG WELL CHOOSE) try to clear up one thinmg.

I am aware of the case of the marine who had his own firearm(s) in his vehicle and got messed up at an intersection leading into Mexico  and turned himself in, and wound up in a prison, to be released later.
I was NOT refering to that incident.
I was refering to an incident even further back.  I do not recall how he wound up with his service rifle but I think he was on duty and possibly on some type of military exercise (which might 'splain the presence of his issue M-4, as opposed to say, a Bushmaster he bought at a local Academy Sports.  
Somehow he becomes separated from his squad/platoon/unit/USMC/Boy scouts/girl scouts (what-the-hell-ever he was)  and wound up on the wrong side of the U.S. Mexico border.... a dim memory suggests Texas/Mexico ...but I could be wrong.  THIS guy was NOT driving a car.  Or a SUV.  Or even a tobogan.
Or even a little red wagon.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2015, 11:59:21 PM »
Possibly this guy?  http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/12/18/pal-jailed-marine-jon-hammar-recounts-pal-last-day-freedom-in-mexico/

The fellow Marine who was with Jon Hammar when Mexican customs officials arrested him for carrying an illegal shotgun said his friend made every effort to follow the law, but got bad information from officials on both sides of the border.

Ian McDonough, 27, told FoxNews.com that four U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents told Hammar before he crossed into Mexico that as long as the required permit, which he completed, was submitted and he declared the gun to Mexican authorities, there would be no problem in bringing the vintage shotgun across the border.

"Jon was told to fill out a form with his name and the specs of the rifle and show it to the customs agent on the Mexican side," said McDonough, who was traveling with Hammar in an RV to Costa Rica, where they planned to hunt and surf. "I don't know what they expected Jon to do after they gave him the registration form and sent him on his way."

As they made their way into Mexico in a vintage Winnebago after stopping at U.S. Customs in Brownsville, Texas, Hammar and McDonough were met by a Mexican official who told them to proceed over the bridge and into Mexico where they would meet a customs agent.

McDonough said Hammar readily told the Mexican customs officials he had the shotgun to declare and showed them the form he was given on the U.S. side.

"They told us to go into a building to fill out some forms," McDonough said, thinking they were probably going to have to pay a small fine.

But things quickly turned sour.

"I told Jon, ‘I think we are going to get arrested,’" McDonough said.

The two Americans were told to get in a truck with police, who took them on a 30-minute drive through Matamoros to the city jail.

It almost sounds like he was given the forms needed for his return to the US to prove the gun was not being imported.

He asked cops what the laws were and what he should do instead of doing his own research/getting competent legal advice.  I know most people are not as well versed/informed as the typical APSer on firearms issues but still he bears a whole lot of the responsibility.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• friend
OK, I am going to (ONE LAST TIME AND I WILL USE WHATEVER "VOICE" I DANG WELL CHOOSE) try to clear up one thinmg.

I am aware of the case of the marine who had his own firearm(s) in his vehicle and got messed up at an intersection leading into Mexico  and turned himself in, and wound up in a prison, to be released later.
I was NOT refering to that incident.

It is NOT that important.

The better approach, with a bunch of know-it-alls like us, is to casually say something like, "Oh, you assumed I meant Tahmooressi? Mercy me, I thought for sure you'd know that I was talking about so-and-so. You do remember him, don't you? Bless your heart."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2015, 09:49:40 AM »
...and I was picking, not to damned serious, with the "inside voice" comment. Looking back, I'm wondering if ya should consider cutting back on caffeine though.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

TommyGunn

• friend

It is NOT that important.

Now, I'd never have guessed that considering the response to my first post.....but hey, I'm willing to forgive and forget. :angel:

The better approach, with a bunch of know-it-alls like us, is to casually say something like, "Oh, you assumed I meant Tahmooressi? Mercy me, I thought for sure you'd know that I was talking about so-and-so. You do remember him, don't you? Bless your heart."

Didn't I do that like, twice...or was it thrice?  Silly me.

...and I was picking, not to damned serious, with the "inside voice" comment. Looking back, I'm wondering if ya should consider cutting back on caffeine though.

TTtthere's Nothing wrong withhhh my
caffiene levelzes!!!! :laugh:  

OK, ok, I'll knock it off.
~~For now~~

But, PLEASE...if I say I "don't mean that incident," next time, trust me, I mean it.  If I futz up I will admit it. :angel:

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2015, 08:22:35 PM »
All this reconciliation and I don't even get to use this:

No harm no foul.  Didn't mean to be condescending for my part either.  I do hate the propagation of stupid urban legends as fact though.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2015, 08:27:20 PM »
So which incident did you mean Tommy?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2015, 08:33:51 PM »

[inserts earplugs]

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2015, 08:35:25 PM »

Funny AND obvious trolling.  It's like the Groundhog Day effect,  running right back to where we started.

[inserts earplugs]

bring any extra?

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2015, 05:51:40 AM »
Funny AND obvious trolling.  It's like the Groundhog Day effect,  running right back to where we started.

bring any extra?

Note:  Posting things about politics you disagree with isn't trolling. 

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2015, 11:40:06 AM »

The one I was talking about. :P :P

Seriously, at this point even Inspecter Lestrade ought to be able to figure it out.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2015, 11:43:58 AM »
I tried several iterations on google and couldn't find it. 

I did find this, though.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/11/01/mexico.border/
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2015, 02:43:38 PM »
Note:  Posting things about politics you disagree with isn't trolling. 

If you have a better term for re instigating an argument I'm all ears.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2015, 05:41:09 PM »
Did we ever figure out who the Marine that disassembled his issued M4 and wandered into Mexico was and when?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.