Author Topic: Swollen (lug) Nuts  (Read 965 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Swollen (lug) Nuts
« on: August 07, 2023, 01:56:41 PM »
Any of you ever heard of swollen lug nuts? I'm sitting at the Costco tire center getting g a rotation, and they just called and told me that I have swollen nuts. =D

The lugs on one wheel no longer properly fit the 27mm socket. Apparently this is a Ford thing (it's my f150) and there is some kind of class action suit in the works. Costco isn't known for ripping people off so I have no reason not to believe them  anyway, I told them to give me new nuts all the way around for $32.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Swollen (lug) Nuts
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 02:01:25 PM »
Yes, I've heard of it, not sure what vehicles though.  The nuts are undersized and have a decorative sheet metal cover that brings them up to the right size.  Corrosion gets under that and swells them up so a wrench doesn't fit.  I've had to replace a few; again I don't remember what vehicle.  Probably a Ford Focus or maybe a Chevy pickup.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 02:03:59 PM »
Yes, that decorative cover is exactly what the Costco guy said!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2023, 02:23:35 PM »
So, you had them replaced all deez nuts?
Formerly sumpnz

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2023, 02:23:57 PM »
Yep. Common issue easily remedied. Had it on fords and Jeep so far.
Not just corrosion. The impact tools will deform them also.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2023, 02:34:21 PM »
Man, you are having quite the start to the month, first your insurance kicks you in the (metaphorical) nuts and now the truck is feeling all sympathetic and has actual swollen nuts!!!  :)

bob

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2023, 02:47:42 PM »
Yes, I've heard of it, not sure what vehicles though.  The nuts are undersized and have a decorative sheet metal cover that brings them up to the right size.  Corrosion gets under that and swells them up so a wrench doesn't fit.  I've had to replace a few; again I don't remember what vehicle.  Probably a Ford Focus or maybe a Chevy pickup.

This. Common thing, especially where a lot of road salt is used.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2023, 04:12:37 PM »
Put the swollen nuts in a little sack and drape it over the trailer hitch?
7-11 was a part time job.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2023, 04:19:22 PM »

My 07 Focus had those. Replaced them all with real lug nuts when several of the covers fell off.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2023, 05:07:58 PM »
Okay, so it's not just Ford. If it's this common, it sure seems dumb of them to keep using these cover designs. I suppose it's a cheap way to make the rims look a little fancier? For the people into that. I'd rather have an ugly rim with lug nuts that I can get off if I have a flat in BFE.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2023, 05:17:37 PM »
I'm just curious what kind of Chinesium lug nuts you got for $32.  When I had to replace the lug nuts on my F150, the cheapest decent quality lug nuts I could find were like $5 a piece.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2023, 06:15:35 PM »
I'm just curious what kind of Chinesium lug nuts you got for $32.  When I had to replace the lug nuts on my F150, the cheapest decent quality lug nuts I could find were like $5 a piece.

Eh, I've had a good life.  =D

I mean, 1/2" Grade 8 nuts run like a buck a piece.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2023, 06:42:32 PM »
Definitely had that on all my ford products. Changed them all out as soon as I could. Had the opposite problem on the front hubs, the nuts holding them on I got all eight off because I am just that good but I was four millimeters lower in socket selection because the corrosion had removed that much nut.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2023, 06:47:53 PM »
I wonder if I just never knew about it or had it on any of my previous Fords because of the CA climate, and just got it now because of potatoho Winters?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2023, 07:16:13 PM »
The US Army made a LOT of training films about how to avoid swollen nuts during World War II...

It apparently didn't really work.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2023, 07:51:46 PM »
It’s a Ford and Jeep thing for sure. And it’s hell getting one out of a socket when you are tool limited such as on the side of a road.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2023, 08:06:36 PM »
The US Army made a LOT of training films about how to avoid swollen nuts during World War II...

It apparently didn't really work.

That is a good point, but perhaps the sheath they told men to use to prevent the swollen nuts wasn't as permeable or installed as long as the sheaths on the auto (lug) nuts.

bob

griz

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2023, 08:43:36 PM »
Happened to my father on his Ford Fusion.  A flat on the interstate and the lug wrench that came with the car didn't fit.  Also, the VDOT service guy we called didn't have a socket to fit and he had all the standard (and oddball) sizes.  Had to tow the car.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2023, 10:23:15 PM »
I had a flat the other day and stopped to change it on the side of the interstate. A guy pulled up behind me in a Dodge Durango just as I was finishing up and said he had a flat but no jack. I helped him change his tire and noticed that the lug wrench wouldn’t fit one of his lug nuts as it was slightly swollen.  We ended up beating his lug wrench onto the nut with my lug wrench and got it changed. I hadn’t put much thought into it until reading this thread.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2023, 12:31:02 PM »
Most lug nuts have a bevel to self-center in the wheel's holes, so that the wheel doesn't get a chance to move back and forth, elongating the hole, and trashing the stud.

I think the cheapest I sell is about $2.50.

If it will fit (some alloy wheels don't have a lot of clearance) use an impact socket, and a battery powered impact gun. Or a four-way wrench, supporting the outboard end under your jack... Then step on the left side, and that will pop most loose.

Your counter guy should also be able to set  you up with all-steel nuts.
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2023, 01:52:37 PM »

Your counter guy should also be able to set  you up with all-steel nuts.

I was born with all steel nuts.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2023, 09:44:50 PM »
Man, you are having quite the start to the month, first your insurance kicks you in the (metaphorical) nuts and now the truck is feeling all sympathetic and has actual swollen nuts!!!  :)

bob

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2023, 10:19:30 PM »
I was born with all steel nuts.

Is that why they call your "Rusty"?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams