Author Topic: Why You Need to Reinforce Your Doors  (Read 376 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Why You Need to Reinforce Your Doors
« on: August 20, 2021, 07:20:43 PM »
It was pleasant to see these scum running away, but man, did they get through the door fast. The homeowner must have either heard them, or maybe his camera notified him, otherwise if this happens to you and you don't have a gun right damn there, you could be in trouble.

I use EZ Armor on my doors, but could still do more. I have become a little lax given the low crime area I live in. I had a driveway alarm, but critters kept setting it off so I turned it off. I should really look at a motion activated camera pointing at the doors though.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/phoenix-homeowner-fires-multiple-shots-at-four-armed-robbers-home-security-footage-shows
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Why You Need to Reinforce Your Doors
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 07:27:20 PM »
Phoenix, home invasion @ 0400. That's about as a random event as the sun coming up in the east I would bet.

bob

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 08:19:19 PM »
I've got large screws about 4" in all the way around the frame. Frame is wood, but has had some angle added. Lock area has already been reinforced.

Door is the same one that came with the house - still has marks from the "master key" when police went after the former tenant. They didn't get in the front - had to go to the side door. Which is now MUCH heavier, and probably harder to get into than the front.

I'm thinking of putting a piece of piece of diamondplate on the front.
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2021, 09:09:37 PM »
Senior Citizen's Apartment, second floor, and since it's not my property, I can't do much although it's a pretty low risk all around.

I did replace the deadbolt lock plate screws with longer ones, and made a bar for the back door to wedge it against the kitchen cabinets.

Hatch to the attic has tin cans arranged to clatter if someone opens the hatch from the attic side.  Looks like hell, but I looked around the place specifically for soft points.

Kind of a mental excercise, thinking like a crook.

All windows have wooden bars in the tracks to limit opening. 

Overkill perhaps, but life experience has taught me that paranoia is a survival trait.  Thinking like a crook, doncha know.

OP said, "The homeowner must have either heard them, or maybe his camera notified him, otherwise if this happens to you and you don't have a gun right damn there, you could be in trouble."

Guns? Why... I don't keep guns. Why should I need guns?  After all, this isn't the Wild West anymore, and violence never solved anything.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 09:24:35 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 10:50:35 PM »
I really need to board my front window... On the inside, after I do some curtains to make it look "normal."
Blog under construction

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2021, 02:47:39 AM »
Commercial steel doors and jambs are a good step between cheapo doors and serious (safe type) doors.
 Maybe $1000 or so. A LOT less expensive if there is a used building supply place around.
I am guessing at the price, last ones I bought new was around 1500 for a double door set maybe five years ago.
 Just for the door, no labor.

They can be painted or veneered to look like a fancy wood door.