Author Topic: Ipod Touch WiFi connectivity problems  (Read 1888 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Ipod Touch WiFi connectivity problems
« on: November 16, 2010, 10:53:45 AM »
I have an Ipod Touch that I use extensively as a handheld computer.  It fills this function quite well.  Until recently that is.  A couple months ago, I started having problems with some of my apps while at home (W00T.com app, Facebook, Safari for example) when the wifi signal wasn't very strong.  Those apps work fine elsewhere, including at the office.  At the same time I can't get those apps to connect, other apps work just fine (my VZ Fios DVR app, corporate email client, etc).  They'll all work if I'm close to the router, but not upstairs.  My other wireless computers work fine all over the house. 

I suspected a problem with the device, but deleting and recreating the wireless profile doesn't help, nor does resetting the device.  I only have this problem at home.  As stated above, none of my other wireless devices (two laptops and a Wii) have issues.

Any thoughts?

Chris

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Re: Ipod Touch WiFi connectivity problems
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 11:44:34 AM »
Maybe there's some interference that's crept in and preventing the smaller iPod from getting a good signal?

I'd grab a program that can chart out all the WiFi networks in an area.  See if a neighbor perhaps put up a new AP on the same channel you run on.

Or just blindly switch channels and see if that fixes things.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 11:51:56 AM »
I occasionally have to reboot my AP to restore good service to my iPod Touch,
but the number of APs on my culdesac are filling the outdoor spectrum and my lower powered devices drop connections.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 11:53:33 AM »
I've rebooted the AP with no improvement.  We do have a ton of APs visible from my house.  I had considered that possibility but wasn't sure if it was the issue or not.  That makes as much sense as anything.  I may try changing channels...

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 03:46:41 PM »
how old is your router? they seem to just up and die around 5 years in. =|

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 04:04:10 PM »
All but one wifi network visible to my Touch is on Channels 1 or 11.  I tried 6 (doesn't overlap with 1 or 11), no change.  In fact, some of the apps I'm having trouble with barely work when I'm about 2ft from the router.  It's hit or miss.  This is very frustrating because I used to be able to hit my router from my driveway or backyard.  I don't have problems with my other wireless devices, nor do I have a problem with this Touch and other networks (I was able to stream a Netflix movie from the parking lot outside my office).  It's just the combination of my home network and this Touch that don't seem to work well.

Sanglant, this router is about 1.5 years old.  Other than my iTouch problems, it functions quite well.

Chris

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 04:16:08 PM »
Some devices don't get along well with some routers using some encryption protocols. Try changing that around, if you're using WPA, try WPA2, vice versa, if WPA or WPA2, try AES instead of TKIP, vice versa. If WPA/2, try WEP. Try no encryption just long enough to see if that "fixes" the iPod.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 04:18:41 PM »
Not a bad idea except this worked just fine before suddenly becoming a problem.  I haven't made any changes on the router Wifi config since before getting the iTouch

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 04:48:06 PM »
Maybe there's some interference that's crept in and preventing the smaller iPod from getting a good signal?

I'd grab a program that can chart out all the WiFi networks in an area.  See if a neighbor perhaps put up a new AP on the same channel you run on.

Or just blindly switch channels and see if that fixes things.
Can you suggest a free one. Any that work on iPhone?
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 05:08:37 PM »
apple black listed all the wifi stumblers for the iphone & touch last April

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 05:19:46 PM »
Wifitrack tells you what networks are nearby and what channel they're on.  I'm pretty sure I downloaded it after April, so maybe it's still allowed.

Chris

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 08:56:29 PM »
any chance your antennas are lose at the router? any new CFL bulbs? new faraday cage? :laugh: my PS3 controllers wreak havoc with my 802.11 setup. i just swapped in a power line link it's much nicer for stuff that not moving. OGM! the price jumped from 25 each to 100! =| so much for that idea. there are some cheaper, try a search. but i haven't tried any of them to say they work.

some ideas some neat toys to find whats wrong.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 09:04:22 PM »
Antenna isn't loose.
Some new CFLs, but no more than what we had when it worked fine.  Plus, it doesn't work at night with the lights off.

There isn't any significant difference in the house that I can identify.

Chris

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 09:34:21 PM »
hmm, you might try cold booting the whole network. unplug everything, then plug in modem wait 10 min, then plug in router wait till it's finished, then everything else. i have to do that about twice a year. ???

only other thing i can think of is, have you moved the router closer to a wall etc..

solar flares? [tinfoil]

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1398
Disable 40MHz in the 2.4GHz settings on the Wi-Fi router. Mac computers, iPhone, and iPod touch do not support this mode. Disabling it may reduce interference issues.

any chance you have this turned on?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 09:50:41 PM »
I've already tried rebooting the router (combo unit, no modem).  10 minutes is excessive, especially considering there aren't any problems with the other connected devices.

I'm not sure what that 40mhz option refers to.  I've never heard of it, nor do I see that option in my router's config.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 10:14:32 PM »
I reset the Ipod's networking system (which means I'll have to reconfigure every network this thing connects to).  Still no improvement.  I get connected to my wireless network just fine.  Email, web, VZ FIOS manager, Good for Enterprise (corporate mobile email client), all work fine.  Facebook, Netflix, WootWatch, and a few others don't.

I don't get it.  If it was all wireless apps, it would make sense, but some working and not others don't give me any clues at all.

Chris