Author Topic: Who cooks in your house? Why?  (Read 7838 times)

Chris

Who cooks in your house? Why?
« on: November 17, 2005, 04:49:22 AM »
I cook about 95% of the meals in our house.  SWMBO is capable, but doesn't enjoy cooking, and simply finds my cooking better than hers.  I started cooking as a single male, because I got tired of eating out, or eating Hamburger Helper.  So, one late January, on a cold Saturday, bored, I turned on Food TV and started watching.  And watched more and more.  And bought the tools, and the ingrediants.  And started impressing the ladies with home cooked meals.  It carried over to married life.  Some of the guys call our home situation backwards, as I cook, and the wife pays the bills (she's got a finance and accounting background).

So, are we really that unusual?  Who cooks in your homes?  How did it end up that way?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 05:14:07 AM »
We both cook.  During the week, my wife does most of the cooking since she's at home, but we share cooking duties on the weekend.  

Both of us enjoy cooking.

Chris

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 05:35:52 AM »
We share the cooking.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 05:52:58 AM »
We share cooking and washing dishes.  I pay the bills because I just got stuck with it I guess and I am somewhat more organized...

Greg

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 06:29:50 AM »
Me.

Because my dogs won't.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

client32

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 07:05:09 AM »
She does.  We don't break out of stereotypical roles. Wink

Actually, it is because she is at home.

My brother does the cooking in his house, and that is because if she doesn't set the kitchen on fire, her meals are not edible.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 07:44:18 AM »
I do because her idea of a gourmet meal comes out of a lean cuisine carton...  shocked
Avoid cliches like the plague!

onions!

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 08:15:06 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Me.

Because my dogs won't.
Me too.

No thumbs.

matis

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 08:20:10 AM »
My lady and I share 50-50.

She cooks and I eat.

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 08:40:40 AM »
SWMBO has charge of all the above ground interior regions of the palace in the Duchy of Grampster, other than the carriage house.  The grounds and nether regions of the Hold are the responsibility of The Grampster.  The tool crib is also under control of SWMBO.  They are clearly marked "Male Critters: Hands Off".

The art form of being Archduke is in the training of SWMBO in the notion that the male is incapable of any activity involving the use of hands, other than producing luchre and writing checks.  (foreplay is acceptable as well)  Fire is to be avoided at all costs.  As fire is useful in cooking, it is out of bounds for the canny Archduke of the Duchy of Grampster.  The Duchess SWMBO is removed from the Hold on Tuesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays where she is attended to by servants in nearby Roadhouses in exchange for supervision of the Hold's kitchen on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

There are limits, however, that do get imposed.  When the whinny voice of the aging Archduke requests the deliverance of certain liquid forms, the general response is "Whataryacrippled".  Silent slinking to the ice box follows.

Chapter II at a later date.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 08:58:51 AM »
There are limits, however, that do get imposed.  When the whinny voice of the aging Archduke requests the deliverance of certain liquid forms, the general response is "Whataryacrippled".  Silent slinking to the ice box follows.
HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

And you thought YOU were the captain of the ship.... cheesy

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 08:59:20 AM »
Dammit Mike, you beat me to it.

Swmbo and I live in different towns, I seem to do most of the cooking between us because I have more energy to whip up something other than a cold bowl of cereal. She can cook ok, much better at baking cookies and cakes, but I kick ass in the kitchen and can make a tasty meal out of just about anything and deer burger.

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 09:38:23 AM »
My 18 year old daughter is the cook.  She likes it that way and we like it too.

Problem is, she's leaving home next month, probably never to return, so we need to do something different.  I'm the better cook but I get home too late most nights.  My wife doesn't want to cook (though she is very capable).  I suspect that daughter #2 will get her duty roster changed and she will bear the burden even though she has made it very clear that she doesn't want to be the cook.

Do you really want somebody cooking that doesn't want to cook and considers it a chore?  I think not, but I'm not the one who fills out the duty roster.

Wish us luck.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005, 10:54:59 AM »
Sandy does the cooking here, unless we do Chinese, then I do some of it.  I've cooked in a few restaurants in my younger days, so I can, but Sandy enjoys cooking.  I do my part during canning season though.

Steve, no smart remarks about my tomato soup, either. Cheesy

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 11:01:36 AM »
The chef is the cook.  And not a very good one at that.

Can't wait for Chili day and Omlete Bar day.  Because that is about all that is good.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2005, 12:12:56 PM »
I do. I'd like to share cooking with a woman; unfortunately, I keep meeting women who can't or won't cook, or think opening a can of something counts as cooking.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2005, 12:17:25 PM »
People's choice awards?

This may be the funniest thing I've ever read.  

"SWMBO has charge of all the above ground interior regions of the palace in the Duchy of Grampster, other than the carriage house.  The grounds and nether regions of the Hold are the responsibility of The Grampster.  The tool crib is also under control of SWMBO.  They are clearly marked "Male Critters: Hands Off".

The art form of being Archduke is in the training of SWMBO in the notion that the male is incapable of any activity involving the use of hands, other than producing luchre and writing checks.  (foreplay is acceptable as well)  Fire is to be avoided at all costs.  As fire is useful in cooking, it is out of bounds for the canny Archduke of the Duchy of Grampster.  The Duchess SWMBO is removed from the Hold on Tuesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays where she is attended to by servants in nearby Roadhouses in exchange for supervision of the Hold's kitchen on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

Chapter II at a later date."

Thanks Grampster.  We want Ch 2 soon!

Fig

SWMBO and the pizza joints do all the cooking.  My son is a better cook than both daughters.  No worries, he's girl crazy, too.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2005, 12:30:32 PM »
My wife works second shift, so we both just eat frozen stuff. On her days off, she cooks meals that don't require a lot of time: roast and potatoes, spaghetti, meatloaf, fish, etc.

On Saturday nights, I'll often cook meals that take a few hours to prepare. I do this in part for fun, but also because I know she really enjoys the meals. Much better than restaurant food.

Grampster, the last time I asked my wife to get me a beer from the fridge was in 1977. When she did, she found an engagement ring in there.

kudu

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2005, 12:59:53 PM »
I do 90% of the cooking, and SWMBO does the dishes and most of the cleaning.  She is a good cook but doesn't really like to cook, where I enjoy cooking.  I play Mr.Mom every evening anyhow, as she works a 2nd shift job.  Just the other day I made a big batch of cookies, with the kids help of course.  

Being raised on a farm, my parents made sure all three of us kids knew how to cook, sew and other things that anyone can find useful.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2005, 01:47:01 PM »
So Dick,
When did she find the engagement ring?  1997.  Heh.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2005, 02:27:55 PM »
I do.  I am the househusband hereabouts, since I retired a year ago.  And she still works, so she gets catered to in that regard.  Luckily she likes my cooking, and she washes the dishes to make things even.

lpl/nc

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2005, 03:33:00 PM »
I have to say that both my wife and I are excellent cooks, but I am better at making desserts.  We split cooking fairly evenly, but now that the kids are teenagers and often out and about, some nights it is not worth it to do something elaborate for just two people.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2005, 04:00:34 PM »
Me.

The last time I let the cats plan the weeks menu, it was nothing but raw fish and chocolate shakes.  While I like Sushi and chocolate, having it every day get rather dull and as an omnivore I need roughage in my diet. Cheesy
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2005, 04:01:29 PM »
What is this cooking thing of which you speak? Smiley

I can cook but I don't usually enjoy it; it's something that needs to be done rather than a hobby.

I like making jam.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2005, 04:09:19 PM »
I like making jam.
What a coincidence, I like eating jam...

Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!