Author Topic: Who cooks in your house? Why?  (Read 7837 times)

Who cooks in your house? Why?
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2005, 04:17:53 PM »
I'm eating some on the toast I cooked for supper. Smiley

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2005, 04:32:54 PM »
I'm eating leftovers...

That mtnbkr's wife made...

Good God YUM!

Pork chops with cheddar potatos and onions done as a bake.

Hey Chris, tell her I can even taste the seared fingers! Cheesy
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2005, 04:55:37 PM »
Am I the only one posting to this thread that rec'd  multiple warnings about how I posted?  

Cause If I were to 'Mis-Behave' , homemade goodies would cease to arrive at my doorstep.  
Can someone define "behave" ?  Would help to know so I can define the word with the "mis" part in front...

I learned to cook at a very young age. Just how raised. Along with "chores". During the course of my life, I have always cooked. There have been times I was the only one that could or would. Other times, I shared cooking and chores.

Currently, I still cook. I do stuff like cook for mom, show up somewhere (classmates, old friends, etc.) and  have brought something with me , just pitch right in - take over, or whatever needs to be done. I make myself at home.
Folks give me that permission.

I'm  still good for goodies at my doorstep - right?  Smiley

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2005, 05:39:07 PM »
Tonight I "cooked" some BBQ ribs, courtesy of my friend Calvin "A.J." (Action Jackson) Jackson.  He's an 82 year old friend of mine with a professional pit at his house.  He had an extra slab of ribs, so I brought it home, therefore, that counts as me "cooking".

Steve, I'm off the hook, and so are you. Smiley

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2005, 05:47:56 PM »
I do, cause I'm damned good at it. She says she used to bake (but that was before the VFD went on strike). Let's just leave it at that.

Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2005, 03:20:00 AM »
I do most of the cooking, so as to spare innocent cuts of meat a horrid fate. SWMBO was bitten by the "if you don't cook the life out of it, you'll get botulism" bug, and refuses to seek treatment.  She does ok with frozen dinners, most of the time.

Bookskin

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2005, 04:28:28 PM »
We tend to share the cooking, although I usually do the more intricate stuff.

Smoke

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2005, 05:28:04 AM »
She cooks most often.

I specialize.  I cook anything that must be done outside.  Chickenfried steak.  Tacos. Breakfast.  Smoke's SOS.
A few other things.

Smoke

grampster

• friend
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2005, 07:36:46 AM »
Actually, SWMBO is one of the finest cooks on earth.  Our (her) kitchen is crammed with recipies and cook books.  She taught both my sons to cook and my eldest grandson is also excellent (age 15).  A friend of mine who owns a restaurant nearby wants him (grandson)  in the kitchen this summer.

Me sainted father always told me to never look the gift horse in the mouth.  Ain't strartin' now.  I think I'll have a glass of wine before lunch.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Kharn

• friend
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2005, 11:46:16 AM »
I live alone, thus I'm stuck with both the cooking and the cleaning duties.

Kharn

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2005, 04:18:59 PM »
I do most of the cooking, but we each have specialities that we cook. We cook mostly on weekends, as we're both too tired to put together a major food production after work. Usually it's something quick. Often we cook on weekends to make quick meals during the week.

While I was going to school a few years ago, I always cooked for the girlfriend. I would listen for her to pull into the garage, then I would shake up a margarita for her as just she walked in the door. I'd pour the drink, and let her know dinner was ready whenever she wanted it.

Cooking dinner for your girl pays better dividends than the best stock. I recommend it!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2005, 08:39:02 AM »
Starting to define roles in our household.  Wife #2 is very finicky in what she will eat, it has to come from the cow, chicken, or piggy food group.  It will be boiled, pan-fried, grilled, baked, or otherwise made to a very mundane standard.  

That sucks, because I like these food groups:

Chicken
Cornish Game Hen
Duck
Goose
Pheasant
Squab
Shrimp
Lobster
Crayfish
Sushi
Fish of all types, salt and fresh water
Lamb
Beef
Veal
Venison
Bison
Pork (especially wild piggies I thump myself)
Bratwurst
Knockwurst
Bangers (& mash)
Kippers
Pickled Herring

Not only that, but since I started traveling abroad some 20 years ago, I really dig Thai, Japanese, Philippine, Szechuan, English, Irish, German, Italian, and Moroccan styles of cooking, using foods from my list above.  

Suffice it to say, if I kill it and bring it home, I'm cleaning and preparing it before cooking it, myself.  Period.

She'll sprinkle cinnamon sugar on buttered toast and call it a meal while I'm being creative in the kitchen.

So tonight, while I'm making a wonderful Thai peanut chicken w/ rice noodles, she'll make herself and the two stepsons frozen corn dogs baked in the oven.  

I taught her to shoot.  I'll teach her to cook.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

w turner

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2005, 05:17:24 PM »
Early part of our marriage I cookd about 90% of the time due to our work schedules.  Now we split it.  usually she will start dinner, I finish when I get home because she is usually tending to our son.  

We each have our own niches when it comes to the menu.  I do most of the grilling and any slow smloking that  gets done, but she can fire the grill (and it's even a charcoal grill).

I cook more traditional southern/cajun dishes and do all the frying that gets done.  

She does more of the casseroles/quick stir-fry and crok pot dishes.

W

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2005, 05:22:07 PM »
Gewehr98, your situation sounds exactly like mine.  I'll eat and enjoy just about anything but my wife has all of 3 foods she'll eat on a regular basis.

Chris

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2005, 05:52:39 AM »
Gewehr98, your situation sounds exactly like mine.  I'll eat and enjoy just about anything but my wife has all of 3 foods she'll eat on a regular basis.
Yeah, but at least you have somebody like Mike who will come over and appreciate what you're making.  Too much of a drive for him to eat dinner here, I'm afraid...    Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2005, 06:05:28 AM »
Pssst, don't tell the wife I posted this but this morning she made us egg bacon and cheese sammiches on bagels. FIRST bite the yolk squirts all over the table, my shirt my face, etc. Second or third bite finds a nice big hunk of crunchy egg shell...

As previously posted, I do most of the cookin' round here, now you know WHY!!

shocked
Avoid cliches like the plague!

mfree

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2005, 11:56:26 AM »
Whoever wants to eat, cooks.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2005, 12:33:50 PM »
Yeah, but at least you have somebody like Mike who will come over and appreciate what you're making
Yeah, but that gets expensive.
Too much of a drive for him to eat dinner here, I'm afraid...
Don't put it past him. Tongue

Chris

P5 Guy

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2005, 05:15:46 PM »
I do, because I like to cook. And I do it well.

MaterDei

• friend
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2005, 05:27:51 PM »
Quote from: MaterDei
My 18 year old daughter is the cook.  She likes it that way and we like it too.

Problem is, she's leaving home next month, probably never to return, so we need to do something different.  I'm the better cook but I get home too late most nights.  My wife doesn't want to cook (though she is very capable).  I suspect that daughter #2 will get her duty roster changed and she will bear the burden even though she has made it very clear that she doesn't want to be the cook.

Do you really want somebody cooking that doesn't want to cook and considers it a chore?  I think not, but I'm not the one who fills out the duty roster.

Wish us luck.
Well...our daughter has left us now.  So far my darling bride is doing the cooking and doing quite well!

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2005, 03:45:39 PM »
I am the chief cook, bottle washer, and mess hall KP personnel 'round these parts.

There are few things I have had at a restaurant that I can't do equally well at home, from scratch. In a lot of cases, better. No one else around to do it and I have been cooking for myself for 32+ years.

7 year old daughter is a dab hand at PB&J but that gets old. (Although I have never, ever, turned down one of my daughter's lovingly crafted PB&J sandwiches!)
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot