Author Topic: Students Sue University of CA for Parity  (Read 2262 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Students Sue University of CA for Parity
« on: December 16, 2005, 05:49:25 AM »
Interesting article.

------------------------------

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20051214-115702-9460r.htm

Students sue for tuition parity with California illegals
By Joyce Howard Price
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Published December 15, 2005
Advertisement
Students from 19 states yesterday filed a class-action lawsuit seeking hundreds of millions of dollars from California officials for charging them significantly more than illegal aliens pay to attend state-run colleges.
    The 42 plaintiffs say California state lawmakers and the University of California board of regents knowingly violated a federal law enacted in 1996 that says any state that offers discounted in-state tuition to its illegal aliens must provide the same lower rates to all U.S. citizens.
    California has a "unique" statute barring discrimination on the basis of geographic origin, said lead attorney Michael J. Brady.
    Some students in the University of California system could be eligible for as much as $300,000 in total damages, he said.
    The plaintiffs' attorneys say the lawsuit was filed in a state court in Yolo County on behalf of about 60,000 U.S. citizens who have paid out-of-state tuition to attend public higher-education institutions in California since 2002.
    Mr. Brady said out-of-state students are paying $20,000 more than illegal aliens per year to attend schools in the University of California system. In the California state university system, the difference is $11,000 per year.
    "And in the community college system in California, which has a total of 1.5 million students, the tuition differential is $6,000 a year," he said.
    Mr. Brady and fellow counsel Kris W. Kobach, a law professor at the University of Missouri at Kansas City, announced their litigation at a press conference in Sacramento.
    California and Kansas are among eight states that have laws granting lower in-state tuition rates to illegal aliens who qualify as in-state residents.
    Critics say those state laws violate a federal statute, which took effect in 1998, that says any state that offers discounted in-state tuition rates at public colleges to illegals living in the state must provide the same lower rates to all U.S. citizens who attend. The legislation was sponsored by Rep. Lamar Smith, Texas Republican, and Sen. Alan K. Simpson, Wyoming Republican.
    Mr. Brady said California officials knew their tuition law that took effect in 2002 was unfair and illegal.
    "Former Governor Gray Davis initially vetoed it, saying it violated federal law and that it would cost California $65 million [in damages]," Mr. Brady said. "He sent it back to the state Legislature with that warning, but they re-enacted the same law," which Mr. Davis eventually signed.
    Mr. Brady said administrators of the University of California system also recognized that the state law was invalid, and they refused to implement it unless they were "given immunity." As a result, he said, California lawmakers enacted an "immunity statute," which says that if the state tuition law is declared illegal or unconstitutional, schools in the University of California system would not be held liable for retroactive tuition differences.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 07:13:26 AM »
I hope they win, the students that is. California trying to appease the illegals?

Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

50 Shooter

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 07:46:10 AM »
I love it, they do it anyway and vote themselves an immunity clause! What a friggin JOKE!

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 08:05:02 AM »
What a joke. For some reason this reminds me of that quote, by Claire Wolfe I think, "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."  God speed the latter.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 08:17:40 AM »
For some reason this reminds me of that quote, by Virginia Wolfe I think, "America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."
That would be Claire Wolfe. http://www.clairewolfe.com/  I don't think Virginia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Woolf would have said such.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 08:38:11 AM »
Hehe, indeed. Thanks for the correction.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 08:50:11 AM »
At any rate, I'm not afraid of Ms. Wolfe.  Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2005, 10:27:27 AM »
While the satte can vote itself all the immunity it wants, that's just in a state court.  The feds are hardball, not softball...

Smiley, Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2005, 07:02:06 PM »
I find myself missing the temperate climate and beaches less and less.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Ukraine Train

• friend
    • http://ukrainetrain21.tripod.com
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 07:21:11 PM »
We had a similar, though much smaller scale thing at my school. Kettering is a small private school in MI. Tuition is $20k US per year. To attract students from Canada they're letting them pay $20k CAN per year. That's like $4.37 in US money.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2005, 05:03:03 AM »
To attract students from Canada they're letting them pay $20k CAN per year. That's like $4.37 in US money.
Cheesy
I guess I'm a crotchety old bastard, but to my way of thinking it should be:

State residents pay the least.
Out of state students pay a bit more.
Foreign students pay more yet.
Illegal students......What the hell? How did they get to attend anyway if they're illegal?!?!?!

As a former UC student for both undergrad and grad school, and especially as a US taxpayer,  it torques me off that I paid my own way through school (as it should be) sans loans (nothing wrong with loans) or any other assistance while now, people here illegally get the killer deal on higher education. Were I to attempt to attend a foreign university while in that country illegally, what would the result be (besides me being thrown in one of their prisons for illegal entry)?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2005, 06:40:02 AM »
State residents pay the least.
Out of state students pay a bit more.
Foreign students pay more yet.
I think you might enjoy knowing that legal foreign students often get away with paying the lowest tuition of all. If they have any kind of *special* status they can get so many grants and financial aid they can even get their living expenses covered. I go to school with a number of "international students" who dont even have to work for living, let alone to pay tuition.

This isnt always the case however. My best friend is a girl from Bosnia. She immigrated here the old-fashioned way. She filled out the paper work and moved into a crowded apartment with a number of relatives. She started working when she was 14 and has supported herself ever since. Like all people who have a measure of personal responsibility she doesnt qualify for *any* financial aid at all. Had she decided that it was the job of the U.S. government to take care of her she would have had a free ride. Instead she actually has a thing called "pride" and in today's academic world having any measure of self-motivation is a death sentance.

A couple of years ago I came to the startling realization that both of us would actually have more disposable income if we quite our jobs and start doing drugs. If she could manage to have a couple of crack babies she could actually afford a new car. According to the IRS we are both technically "middle class".

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2005, 09:26:41 PM »
"Critics say those state laws violate a federal statute, which took effect in 1998, that says any state that offers discounted in-state tuition rates at public colleges to illegals living in the state must provide the same lower rates to all U.S. citizens who attend."
Umm, we actually have Federal law that acknowledges illegal people attending College? WTF?
I hope these students win and win big.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2005, 09:53:19 PM »
Umm, we actually have Federal law that acknowledges illegal people attending College?
Good point. Thats like making a law that says; "Known fugitives from justice shall not be given any tuition discounts."