Author Topic: One of the best reviews of Way of the Gun I've read.  (Read 1191 times)

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
One of the best reviews of Way of the Gun I've read.
« on: December 17, 2005, 11:10:55 AM »
Not so much "gun related" as philosophical, thus here not THR.

The internet is amazing.  I was just trying to confirm a movie quote and I find a neat essay.

Check it out.

http://www.h2so4.net/politics/frontiernow.html

"The Frontier, Now

Is there any place left in this world for the outsider or the misfit? On anarchy, sovereignty, and why The Way of the Gun is a utopian tale, if you let yourself look at it sideways."
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 11:36:31 AM »
I love that movie. My favorite film, actually. I love everything about it. From the soundtrack to the guns, it's incredible.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 12:02:16 PM »
I didn't care much for the plot or style of the movie, but it is probably the best gun handling/fighting I have seen in any movie.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 12:31:13 PM »
The review reminds in a way of the Kittredge essay "Silver Bullets".  Talks about the concept of the wilderness and living lives based on autonomy above all.  

There's more going on philosophically to the characters in WotG than just a caper with good gunplay.  They adjust their actions in ways contrary to their desired life and they have to deal with the consequences.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 08:45:51 PM »
...what Longbaugh has really learned about Sarno is that he is broke, in trouble, and that his daughter is carrying the baby of a rich, powerful and corrupt man in order to earn a million dollars to save him in his old age.
So that was Sarno's daughter?? Did anyone else realize this? Am I the only one who didn't? Is he right?

Warren

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 09:04:42 PM »
Umm, it is right there in the movie.

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 09:54:32 PM »
Quote from: DJJ
...what Longbaugh has really learned about Sarno is that he is broke, in trouble, and that his daughter is carrying the baby of a rich, powerful and corrupt man in order to earn a million dollars to save him in his old age.
So that was Sarno's daughter?? Did anyone else realize this? Am I the only one who didn't? Is he right?
That is correct. When Sarno shows opens his wallet and shows something to Benicio Del Toro's caracter he is showing him a picture of her.

It isnt made completely obvious in the film, I didnt figure it out at first either. The movie makes a lot more sense once you understand it though.