Main Forums > The Roundtable

Funny (and also very informative) speaker review

<< < (2/3) > >>

Ron:
Old speakers!

My Klipsch Forte's I purchased in '88 are down in the family room as I type. Picked them up at a decent price as they were being replaced by the Forte II's.

Since I've got rid of the TV I've also retired the matching center channel (Klipsch Academy) along with the two bookshelf rear speakers.

The subwoofer is still hooked up though. I mostly listen to classical music these days and at a much lower volume. The subwoofer allows a little bottom end oomf when listening at lower volumes.

230RN:
double posting

Ron:
The Forte is a pretty traditional style speaker with a 12" woofer and 12" passive radiator in the back. The mid and tweeter are horns.

It isn't one of the corner horn speakers with the folded woofer enclosure.

Brad Johnson:

--- Quote from: RocketMan on November 30, 2020, 12:55:14 PM ---Optimus Mach II speakers.  I remember those from my days working for Radio Shack in college.

--- End quote ---

How do you think I could afford them? Here's to you, employee discounts! Got my first surround receiver when it "accidently" got put in the back room until old enough to be disco'd. IIRC it was the STAV 3200. it was also the last thing I purchased before I resigned (fled, actually). That was way back when "surround sound" was simple stereo with front channels duplicated to the rear speakers. Nothing compared to today's systems but orders of magnitude better than its mono predecessor. Then Dolby Surround came along and flipped everything on its ear. Pro Logic blew minds.

At one point I had four Machs, stacked two each as flanking towers for the HT system in the old house. Minimus 7s as surrounds. A thousand watts driving four 15" subs is brutally effective, though I freely admit my concern then was more quantity than quality.

Ex wife took two of the Machs, along with Minimus 11s we had for an office system. Don't miss her a bit. The Machs and Mins, on the other hand...

Brad

Kingcreek:
Don’t have tv or home entertainment center but still have a decent Rotel sound system and paradigm speakers I bought 23 years ago. If my hearing was better I might need better but it’s ok for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version