Author Topic: SCOTUS Okays Cross on Public Land  (Read 903 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
SCOTUS Okays Cross on Public Land
« on: June 20, 2019, 10:44:45 PM »
And the liberal atheists are going bonkers.

https://apnews.com/6157d29563584c35a2adf6a004f89117

As usual, they can't (or won't) even bother to accurately report what the Constitution says. From the article:

And the court concluded that the nearly 100-year-old memorial’s presence on a grassy highway median doesn’t violate the Constitution’s prohibition on the government favoring one religion over others.

An earlier article, written before the decision was released, said the same thing:

https://wtop.com/supreme-court/2019/02/supreme-court-considers-fate-of-cross-shaped-war-memorial/slide/1/

The cross’s challengers include three area residents and the District of Columbia-based American Humanist Association, a group that includes atheists and agnostics. They argue that the cross’s location on public land violates the First Amendment’s establishment clause, which prohibits the government from favoring one religion over others.

Is that what the First Amendment says? That's not the way I remember it. Lemme see ... Oh, yeah:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I ain't a lawyer, but it seems to me that allowing members of a particular religion to erect a memorial on public land is a very different thing from the government declaring that henceforth [___] is THE religion of the land. Not only that, if one is intellectually honest (which, of course, liberals and politicians aren't), the strict language of the First Amendment says nothing about the government "favoring" one religion over another; it only prohibits the government from establishing a religion [as the official religion of the nation].
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: SCOTUS Okays Cross on Public Land
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 04:27:50 AM »
I was going WTF while reading the plaintiff's stuff.

I was wondering if there were an earlier case which defined it as "favoring."

Glad you brought that up, Hawkmoon.

Another case of "control the language, control the issue."

Clever bastards.

Terry,23RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 05:46:39 AM »
Any bets on the monument lasting the weekend unscathed?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 06:05:10 AM »
A 7-2 decision.  Funny how the atheists and agnostics never sue over these religious symbols erected and maintainedby the US Government.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 08:12:52 AM »
A 7-2 decision.

The 2 were Ginsburg and Sotomayor.
I wonder how these two would have voted if it was a crescent moon?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 09:03:47 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 08:17:11 AM »
These groups have failed with money, the pledge of allegiance, opening prayers in legislative sessions (but have won in some cases to prevent prayer in local legislative meetings such as town councils) and in having Christmas derecognized as a government holiday.

I don't think they'd be crass enough to start trying to get religious symbols removed from gravestones in government cemeteries. Those quite obviously denote the religion of the individual buried there. But with these people, you never know.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 08:51:37 AM »
leftists, and other people who have never read the constitution, tend to think that the words 'separation of church and state' are actually in the document. Those that have read it in passing seem to think that the words "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereo" is synonymous to "courts are to be used to remove all public displays of religeon(1)."

(1)Except secular humanism- worshiping human achievement above all else is A-OK.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 09:02:36 AM »
A 7-2 decision.  Funny how the atheists and agnostics never sue over these religious symbols erected and maintainedby the US Government.

Similar to why SJWs won't assault a biker for their MAGA hat while having no problem doing so to a teenage girl.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 06:52:02 PM »
Similar to why SJWs won't assault a biker for their MAGA hat while having no problem doing so to a teenage girl.

Yep, cowards rarely choose to fight someone who can and will fight back.  Go after Arljngton and other national cemeteries, see how many stand in the way.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark