Author Topic: Move over pedobear...  (Read 3156 times)

brimic

• friends
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Move over pedobear...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 03:47:21 PM »
Elmo is kind of a bear, isn't he?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 04:37:51 PM »
-----comment marginally unsuitable for public visibility----

Quote from: some guy on Freerepublic
"Bugger Me Elmo"
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 04:40:29 PM »
So you are saying there is a liklihood that "Cuddle Me Elmo" will not be hitting the shelves as the newest animated toy?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 04:51:04 PM »
So you are saying there is a liklihood that "Cuddle Me Elmo" will not be hitting the shelves as the newest animated toy?

stay safe.

It's actually "I've got free candy Elmo"
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 05:21:45 PM »

It's actually "I've got free candy Elmo"

with optional van play set

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 07:11:39 PM »
with optional van play set
Parked down by the river.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Phyphor

• friend
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 09:30:08 PM »
I will gladly recant today for 1 million dollars
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 03:58:13 AM »
Aww, and I was all ready to market my "Don't touch me there" Elmo for Christmas. Pure winning, local radio plays at work, ads currently running for Sesame St. Live. Part of the voiceover is "find out what happens when Elmo gets his furry paws on Abby's wand." Oh, if we could just switch that around a wee bit.  :rofl:
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 09:24:04 AM »
If you accuse somebody of something like that and then recant, are there no consequences? Accusations like that can destroy someone's life, even if later disproven.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 09:34:01 AM »
If you accuse somebody of something like that and then recant, are there no consequences? Accusations like that can destroy someone's life, even if later disproven.

What kind of consequences?  The accuser/recanter is a kid in his "early 20's".  I suppose you could lock him up for a few years, if you could prove that libel/slander are criminal, as opposed to civil, torts.  Saddling him with a crushing judgement will only encourage him to not become a self-supporting member of society who pays taxes.  I suppose he couldbe made to stand on a corner with a sign saying something about it being wrong to tell lies, but unless the sign indicated he is being made to stand there because he told a lie I don't think many people are going to notice, let alone care.  Thanks to the debtors laws we can't send him to the factory to churn out "Hug Me Elmo" dolls

You got any ideas?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 10:26:33 AM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 02:35:01 PM »

You got any ideas?

It's not easy, but there has to be something.  I've watched something like this screw somebody up badly. A friend of mine was only peripherally involved in such a case . He was questioned in regard to a child molestation case - he wasn't a suspect and had no knowledge of what had been happening, but he knew the people involved. Just the fact that he was associated with it at all caused people to treat him differently. The lady he had been dating, who happened to have an 8 year old daughter, dropped him like a rock and wouldn't even return his calls.

Screwing up someone else's life - and possibly their livelihood - over false accusations should come with some sort of consequences.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 04:29:18 PM »
It's not easy, but there has to be something.  ....

Screwing up someone else's life - and possibly their livelihood - over false accusations should come with some sort of consequences.

Well, there's always the stocks and the whipping post.

Just need to be careful in case the object of the exercise is into stuff like that, in which case wearing a suit of alternating pink & black horizontal stripes, and making long stretches of roadway litter-free, might be the best you could do.

stay safe.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 10:11:58 PM »

I think the term you are looking for is slander.
Look, tiny text!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 08:18:16 AM »
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 08:24:25 AM »
Something's not passing the smell test....
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 09:10:45 AM »
Something's not passing the smell test....

Waddyamean?  This thing stunk from the very beginning.

Oh!  You mean that smell test.

So does this mean that Elmo will be pushing Ossifer Friendly to file charges of making a false police report?  What about perjury charges for the false false statements.  (No, there is no typo there.)

[popcorn]

stay safe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 10:14:52 AM »
What kind of consequences?  The accuser/recanter is a kid in his "early 20's".  I suppose you could lock him up for a few years, if you could prove that libel/slander are criminal, as opposed to civil, torts.  Saddling him with a crushing judgement will only encourage him to not become a self-supporting member of society who pays taxes.  I suppose he couldbe made to stand on a corner with a sign saying something about it being wrong to tell lies, but unless the sign indicated he is being made to stand there because he told a lie I don't think many people are going to notice, let alone care.  Thanks to the debtors laws we can't send him to the factory to churn out "Hug Me Elmo" dolls

You got any ideas?

stay safe.

Beatings.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 10:24:49 AM »
Beatings.

If minor offenses were dealt with by things like canings and pillorying, we would save a great deal of incarceration costs.

In fact, maybe make it an option: take XXX time in jail or XXX time in the pillory or XXX number of strikes with a cane.

We could even make it so you don't miss any time from work: XXX number of weekends in the stocks.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 03:52:42 PM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2012/11/20/kevin-clash-quits-elmo-gig/1716901/

Second accuser comes forward. Elmo resigns.

Second person is suing for 5 million dollars. Is that normal for an instance of "he touched me wrong when I was a kid"? I would have thought that some sort of criminal charges would be pursued for instances of that instead.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 03:56:51 PM »
Second person is suing for 5 million dollars. Is that normal for an instance of "he touched me wrong when I was a kid"? I would have thought that some sort of criminal charges would be pursued for instances of that instead.

How long is the statue of limitations for the supposed crime?  If it is outside of the limits then I would think that civil is the way to go.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 03:59:14 PM »
Elmo love Sandusky's cell!
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.