Author Topic: Move over pedobear...  (Read 3155 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Move over pedobear...
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 05:24:35 PM »
Second person is suing for 5 million dollars. Is that normal for an instance of "he touched me wrong when I was a kid"? I would have thought that some sort of criminal charges would be pursued for instances of that instead.

The person who suffered the tort can only sue for damages.  Is $5M an appopriate amount for a wrecked psyche and the embarassment of forever having people point at you and say "Elmo tickled you!"?  That's why they have juries.

How long is the statue of limitations for the supposed crime?  If it is outside of the limits then I would think that civil is the way to go.

The prosecutor can decide to file charges or not file charges regardless of any civil suit.  Looks like the statute of limitations for minors is three years from when they turn 18. http://www.statuteoflimitations.net/new_york_statute_of_limitations.htm **

Would anybody like to speculate why a criminal complaint was not made between the darte of the last act and the petitioner's 21st birthday?  Honest, nobody's going to laugh at you.  Really, no.

stay safe.

** And yet Virginia has no statute of limitations for any felony.  Differences of opinion, I guess.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 06:15:59 PM »
The person who suffered the tort can only sue for damages.  Is $5M an appopriate amount for a wrecked psyche and the embarassment of forever having people point at you and say "Elmo tickled you!"?  That's why they have juries.

The prosecutor can decide to file charges or not file charges regardless of any civil suit.  Looks like the statute of limitations for minors is three years from when they turn 18. http://www.statuteoflimitations.net/new_york_statute_of_limitations.htm **

Would anybody like to speculate why a criminal complaint was not made between the darte of the last act and the petitioner's 21st birthday?  Honest, nobody's going to laugh at you.  Really, no.

stay safe.

** And yet Virginia has no statute of limitations for any felony.  Differences of opinion, I guess.

Wasn't implying someone who was molested and is messed up from it shouldn't sue, I was just curious if waiting X years and then suing is how it normally plays out in instances where it isn't a false accusation (that the first one recanted and stated that he was an adult when he had sex with Mr. Clash is an interesting dichotomy, it says to me that yes, Clash likes young guy, but also that he might have made sure he was keeping just this side of legal).

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 10:56:28 PM »
There is no apparent "normal" - just look at how long some victims of pedo-priests kept quiet.  Look at how long some of Sandusky's victims remained silent (and probably would still be silent).

Just admitting that one had been involved in what the rest of society considers to be an abnormal relationship can be traumatizing - thus people tend to avoid doing so.  A large percentage of those who do bring it out in the open do so only after some other psychological "crisis" that weakens the dams erected to keep all that inside.  I am very interested in learning what was behind both of these "outings".  It's not something that just comes up around the dinner table or even while having a few beers with the guys - "Oh, by the way, I was in a sexual relationship with an older man when I was x-teen and living in __."  It's more likely to be an explosive response to an emotional hurt that is often not even related to the perpetrator (break-up with current significant other, family finally figures out you are gay, etc.)

How do you arrive at "keeping just this side of legal"?  Both were between 15 and 16 at the time of the alleged incidents.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 10:58:50 PM »
There is no apparent "normal" - just look at how long some victims of pedo-priests kept quiet.  Look at how long some of Sandusky's victims remained silent (and probably would still be silent).

Just admitting that one had been involved in what the rest of society considers to be an abnormal relationship can be traumatizing - thus people tend to avoid doing so.  A large percentage of those who do bring it out in the open do so only after some other psychological "crisis" that weakens the dams erected to keep all that inside.  I am very interested in learning what was behind both of these "outings".  It's not something that just comes up around the dinner table or even while having a few beers with the guys - "Oh, by the way, I was in a sexual relationship with an older man when I was x-teen and living in __."  It's more likely to be an explosive response to an emotional hurt that is often not even related to the perpetrator (break-up with current significant other, family finally figures out you are gay, etc.)

How do you arrive at "keeping just this side of legal"?  Both were between 15 and 16 at the time of the alleged incidents.

stay safe.

Not all states in the Union put the age of consent at 18.