Author Topic: On Safety Razors and Old School Shaving  (Read 2425 times)

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
On Safety Razors and Old School Shaving
« on: April 16, 2014, 11:30:27 AM »
I know I'm not the first to make the change, nor the first to post on it here, but I've made the move to safety razors and away from modern, multi-blade razors.

I did a great deal of reading and read all the warnings about how you can cut yourself more and that you have to be careful of ingrown hairs and whathaveyou.

Read about technique, watched some videos and finally just made the plunge.

My wife bought me the starting elements for Valentine's day:

Safety Razor

Shaving Cream

Shaving Brush

Nothing extremely high end, I'd call most of them middle of the road. (The shaving cream was a bit of an indulgence as I think it's a little more expensive than soap. I can't really compare because I don't know how long it will last, but given that I use so little every shave, it's at least a year's supply. Possibly two.)

First time I tried it, I'm pretty sure I didn't get the shaving cream quite right. I ended up with at least a half-dozen nicks and cuts. I tried shaving with the grain twice and against it once. My face was a little razor-burned.

After a week, I had no nicks or cuts and had decided the best method (for me) is one pass with the grain and two against. After two months, my shave is now closer than what I had with the modern style razors. My face has never had an issue with ingrown hairs and I'm happy to see that it a safety razor doesn't change that. (After reading many horror stories of people saying how dangerous it is to shave against the grain, I'm happy not to have whatever problems they face.)

I now cut and nick myself far less (as in I think I nicked myself once in the past month) and I'm getting less razor burn than with modern razors as well. My guess is that I am far more willing to toss a 5¢ razor blade when it gets slightly used than I am a $3 razor blade.

I can get at least 3 shaves out of each blade. As my beard is not particularly heavy, that's enough for a week. (I generally need to shave every 2.5-3 days). Previously, I'd try to get a month of shaving out of a blade. (Generally, I'd fail, but I'd try).

So, I'll be spending $2.60 a year on razor blades versus $36.00. In one year, I'll have more than recouped the costs of the safety razor (ignoring even the cost of a modern razor) in blade savings alone. In a year and 2 months, the safety razor and brush are covered. All while getting a better shave.

Of course, TANSTAAFL, and I am spending an extra 5 or so minutes when I shave. I'm willing to trade those 13 hours a year (yes, 5 minutes three times a week adds up to 13 hours a year.... makes you stop and think about every 5 minutes you use, huh?) for a better, closer shave and decreased equipment costs.

Importantly, my wife seriously approves of the results. So, if you're considering making the switch to a safety razor, I'm by no means an expert, but I'm more than happy to recommend it from my experience.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: On Safety Razors and Old School Shaving
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 11:42:17 AM »
Congratulations!

My one recommendation for you is to order one of the "sampler" packs of blades from West Coast Shaving or similar to find the blade you like, then go to Amazon or wherever and buy the bulk pack, and you'll be set on blades for the next five or so years. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 12:01:44 PM »
I have thought about this often, but the reading I have done concerns me that this will be a particularly quick and efficient way to slice my head into ribbons.  I shave from the neck up (except goatee and eyebrows) every morning, and my head has a lot of lumps, bumps and random divots that can cause cuts.  After years of experimentation with different brands, I now use these (http://www.walmart.com/ip/10532855?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227017994561&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=35600467836&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=51051854316&veh=sem) and change them out every two weeks.  This razor causes the least number of lacerations to my scalp.  This is one reason why we use white towels in the bathroom, since I can bleach the bloodstains out of them.

But I still wonder about the safety razors.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 01:26:59 PM »
I have a pretty aggressive beard and I've gone through several iterations on this problem.  I too, have been thinking of changing to the old "safety razor" of my Pop's day.  

I'd also like to get one of those stropping machines to go along with it:

I found out that I could restore my disposable cartridge blades by stropping them on a newspaper, see attached.  Without quantitative analysis, I could swear that sometimes they come out better than from the factory, despite the fact that only one side of the blade is being honed.

The best electric razor I ever used is the Braun Series 3, especially after a little use polishes the foil.  As a matter of fact, it turns out that despite the intial expense and the cost ($30+) of extra foils, this is about the cheapest shaving method I ever used.  The only problem is that it has a little trouble with anything more than a two-day growth.  And it recharges very quickly.  None of those 8-hour charges needed for most cordless razors.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 01:35:19 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 04:45:40 PM »
Arko shave soap.  $20 for 15 sticks.  I mashed three sticks into a cheap sealable plastic tub, so I can carry it without a mess.  I doubt I'll go through that in a year.  Feather blades for the safety razor, Shark half blades ($8 per 100) in one of these when I have time to do the job right.

For portability, those $0.97 "natural bristle" paintbrushes at Wally World will work up a fine lather, while being much flatter than a shaving brush.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 05:01:48 PM »
I use the same razor and initially used Merkur blades.  However, I switched to Feather blades and never looked back.  They are much sharper.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 05:48:08 PM »
I have 2 safety razors; a fat handled Gillette made in the 1930's or 40's, and a Schick Krona twist-to-open from the 1970's.  The Schick works best with Wilkinson Sword blades from Walmart, and it lives in the shower for a quick once-over with the grain when I've gone a few days w/o shaving.  Then I touch up with the electric razor that lives in my truck.  Blades last a long time for that.

The Gillette gets used when I want to do it right, with a hot towel, brush, and all that.  I think the brand of blade I'm using with it are Astra.  They are a well-regarded brand and were ridiculously cheap; something like $9 for 100 with free shipping.  I was going to buy an assortment of Personna medical blades, Feathers, BIC, and some Russian Gillettes, but could not pass up a deal like that on the Astras and I got lucky with them.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 05:56:24 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 05:54:34 PM »
Double-edge razors are not old fashioned. They are a modern alternative to straight razors.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 08:38:36 PM »
Old-fashioned shaving brushes, while cool and nostalgic, are harbors for all kinds of nasty bacteria.  Use a good quality aerosol shaving cream and toss the brush.

The old-time guys grew beards, not because it was cool but because taking a shave in the old days could kill you.

Russ

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 11:28:08 PM »
Somewhere I have my first very own razor I got when I was 16. It was an injector, a big deal at the time. I cut myself at least once a week for years, but got a close shave.

When multi-blade razors came out, I switched. I've noticed over the years the shaves have been worse and worse, which I attribute to liability concerns. I can take 15 minutes to shave my face and neck in every possible direction, but it's still not close.

I'll have to hunt that old thing down.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 11:45:28 PM »
I'm a big fan of the safety razor trend.  Switched over about two years ago.  Took a brief hiatus for a bit when my Parker head broke, so I went back to disposable junky ones for a bit, but now I've got a Merkur razor that I use Derby blades that I got from Amazon for $10 per 100 blades.

I just shave in the shower with water.  Works.  No burn.  Easy to clean the safety razor out because I can pull it apart in the shower and wash it out.  Recently learned that if I just flip the razor over after a week I can get another week out of it.

That $10 of razors might actually last me 4 years now.

Not sure why people fear getting cut by them.  I don't, and I use them south of the border too.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 02:35:38 AM »
... $10 of razors might actually last me 4 years now.

Not sure why people fear getting cut by them.  I don't, and I use them south of the border too.

Down Mexico way?
"It's good, though..."

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 11:46:34 AM »
You know, I've been thinking about doing this for a long time.

In part because of reading your experiences, and in part because I'm on my last expensive Mach3 blade (A razor I only use because the Navy mailed me one when I was a teen), I've taken the plunge.  =)

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2014, 11:59:16 AM »
Old-fashioned shaving brushes, while cool and nostalgic, are harbors for all kinds of nasty bacteria.  Use a good quality aerosol shaving cream and toss the brush.

And this is better than the pretty-much-impossible-to-clean multiblade razors, how?  Plus I suspect 99% of the problem back then came from barbers using one brush for who knows how many customers before even giving it a good rinse.  Not so much of an issue when I'm the only one that ever re-lathers with it.

I tend to deep clean the brush 2-3 times a month anyway, by stirring up some boiling water with it.  Getting the leftover soap out makes for a better lather. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 12:10:57 PM »
You know, I've been thinking about doing this for a long time.

In part because of reading your experiences, and in part because I'm on my last expensive Mach3 blade (A razor I only use because the Navy mailed me one when I was a teen), I've taken the plunge.  =)

This thread actually got me to do some quick math, and since I switched back to a safety razor and straight razor, the savings over multi-blade cartridges, even when purchased in the Costco bulk packs, paid for the safety razor and accessories a long time ago, and has nearly paid for the straight razor stuff. Doing an "every other day" shave, my current DE blade supply that I have maybe 20 bucks invested in, will probably last another 15 years. And of course the straight razor will last more days than I have left on this Earth. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 12:17:50 PM »
This thread actually got me to do some quick math, and since I switched back to a safety razor and straight razor, the savings over multi-blade cartridges, even when purchased in the Costco bulk packs, paid for the safety razor and accessories a long time ago, and has nearly paid for the straight razor stuff. Doing an "every other day" shave, my current DE blade supply that I have maybe 20 bucks invested in, will probably last another 15 years. And of course the straight razor will last more days than I have left on this Earth.

I do love a good straight razor, but the advantage of the "barber style" using disposable blades is that almost all the maintenance (particularly the parts where you're most likely to ruin either a finger or the rather delicate edge of the razor) is eliminated.  The blades are about the same price as DE safety razor blades overall, (or exactly the same price if you're buying DEs and breaking them in half yourself) and all that's really left to do is clean it out every now and then so shave soap scum doesn't build up inside the slot.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 12:25:38 PM »
I do love a good straight razor, but the advantage of the "barber style" using disposable blades is that almost all the maintenance (particularly the parts where you're most likely to ruin either a finger or the rather delicate edge of the razor) is eliminated.  The blades are about the same price as DE safety razor blades overall, (or exactly the same price if you're buying DEs and breaking them in half yourself) and all that's really left to do is clean it out every now and then so shave soap scum doesn't build up inside the slot.

I tried one of the replaceable blade straight razors when I first experimented with straight razors, because I didn't want to invest in a $100 item for a whim that I might not like. I hated it and never got a good shave. Some posts on a shaving forum convinced me to take a chance and bite the bullet on a standard straight razor, and there was simply a world of difference. A smoother shave than I can get with even the safety razor, and my face didn’t look like I was an extra in "The Walking Dead" when I was done.

I know a lot of professional barbers use the replaceable blades, but that style simply never worked with me. I only have to stone sharpen a couple of times a year, so there's really not all that much maintenance.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 12:26:11 PM »
This thread actually got me to do some quick math, and since I switched back to a safety razor and straight razor, the savings over multi-blade cartridges, even when purchased in the Costco bulk packs, paid for the safety razor and accessories a long time ago, and has nearly paid for the straight razor stuff. Doing an "every other day" shave, my current DE blade supply that I have maybe 20 bucks invested in, will probably last another 15 years. And of course the straight razor will last more days than I have left on this Earth. :)

I think it will take me some time to recover the cost, but that's mostly a function of me continuing to use disposable cartridges long past when they cut well.  I suppose then, I'll still be getting value in the form of a better shave.

Question: Is it possible to shave one's head with a safety razor?  Just curious -- I usually don't bother shaving my head, instead leaving the fuzz of an unguarded peanut (excellent trimmer, btw).

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2014, 12:31:25 PM »
I think it will take me some time to recover the cost, but that's mostly a function of me continuing to use disposable cartridges long past when they cut well.  I suppose then, I'll still be getting value in the form of a better shave.

Question: Is it possible to shave one's head with a safety razor?  Just curious -- I usually don't bother shaving my head, instead leaving the fuzz of an unguarded peanut (excellent trimmer, btw).

No idea on the safety razor for the head. Back when I shaved my head, I used a Headblade. But thanks for the tip on that Peanut! I currently buzzcut my head, but have been using a heavy ass professional barber's clipper for it because I never found a lightweight trimmer that would do a good, close buzzcut. That Peanut seems to get some good reviews. I might have to give it a shot.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2014, 12:56:49 PM »
I know a lot of professional barbers use the replaceable blades, but that style simply never worked with me. I only have to stone sharpen a couple of times a year, so there's really not all that much maintenance.

Spring for a few barbershop shaves, and ask which blades each uses.  The quality of the blade has everything to do with the performance of any style of straight or safety razor.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 01:01:44 PM »
Spring for a few barbershop shaves, and ask which blades each uses.  The quality of the blade has everything to do with the performance of any style of straight or safety razor.

A barber using a shavette will replace the blade after every customer -- so he doesn't care if they stay sharp, just that they are sharp enough and cheap. 
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 01:14:16 PM »
I think someone here should take one for the team and try headshaving with a safety razor and report back. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 01:14:43 PM »

Too late - I'm all in on the permanent blade (though a barbershop shave would be nice one of these days - I've never had one). :)

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2014, 02:31:11 PM »
Too late - I'm all in on the permanent blade (though a barbershop shave would be nice one of these days - I've never had one).

Shavette is still nice to have for travel; no need for a strop, and $10 or less to replace it if something happens to it.  Plus it's just handy to have a half dozen or so of those little half blades in the shaving kit next to a couple grams of styptic powder in case you need to cut a splinter out, lance a blister, slice your penis off before diving off a balcony or something similar.

Tip for using any blades that don't include a safe disposal option: use an old water or soda bottle as a sharps container.  DE blades will have to be folded in half to fit through the neck, or you could just cut a slot in the side and duct tape over it when the bottle is full.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2014, 02:59:05 PM »
I have a Weishi safety razor as an extra that I keep in my dop kit and use for travel. For work travel I generally just don't have the time to shave with a straight razor, and 90% of the time I'm on pleasure travel, I just don't bother shaving. :)