Author Topic: Is it me,,,  (Read 2617 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Is it me,,,
« on: February 24, 2007, 02:18:50 PM »
or are all snowmobilers A-holes? I had a nasty run in with a couple some years ago over things like courteous driving but today I was out on the designated hunting land scouting the snow for coyote tracks. Nobody is supposed to be out there on any kind of motorized vehicle without written permission from the landowner in their pocket. So along comes big Joe snowmobiler down the fire road, I flag him down and explain how he's not supposed to be out there unless he has said piece of paper. Now mind you, I'm carrying my 870 20 ga in plain sight with one in the chamber ready to go. Well, he goes ballistic, this isn't my property, I'm tresspassing, I'm an A-hole yadda yadda  I pull out the map I show him he's definitely on hunting land, I show him my permit. I ask to see his written permission. That only gets him more agitated which obviously means, he has none, and then he gets off his machine. So at that point I tell him, "You go ahead and do what you want, but you aren't supposed to be out here." and I turned my back on him and started putting space between us. He called me a few more choice things as I walked away and spouted something about how he was going to "make one phone call" and I'll never be able to hunt there again. I hollered to him over my shoulder to be my guest and make the call and wandered back off into the brush where he couldn't follow on his machine. I'd hate to think what might have happened had I been unarmed cause I could tell this guy was looking for an opportunity to bop me one just because he thinks he's a tough guy, unfortunately for him, I ain't stupid. He didn't make ANY false moves. But I did show remarkable restraint as far as I'm concerned because when you're walking away from a guy that's screaming invectives at you and you're armed, it is awful inviting to just shut him up permanently. If there ever was a guy who "needed shootin' ", this was the one.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Is it me,,,
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 02:25:16 PM »
It not snowmobilers its A-holes who think they can do anything they want and can tresspass wherever they want.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 02:28:31 PM »
Right, this one just happened to be on a snowmobile. Sorry, I generalized.  grin

BTW, I DID manage to find one set of tracks. It's a BIG un!  shocked

cheesy

Ron

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 02:37:08 PM »

Hope you get him, my buddy knows a guy that makes em into hats.

He claims they are warmer than anything you can buy. Face in front with the tail hanging in the back.

Not recommended for quick trips to the local grocery.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 02:47:41 PM »
Kind of like the Kalashnikitty Teeshirt...  laugh

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 02:49:05 PM »
Two great pieces of clothing that go great together.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 02:49:48 PM »
A man with a dead canine on his head might cause whiplash to anyone passing buy.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 02:54:46 PM »
We just started our Fur Rendezvous this week.  Even with all the hippies moving up we'll be seeing enough dead animals around town to carpet the Smithsonian.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

280plus

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
Where's this?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 03:35:09 PM »
Same place I give as my hometown in my description.

Anchorage, AK.

The place you can see things like this.

We have a-holes on snowmachines as well.  (they are snowmachines up here, or "sleds", not snowmobiles)

Lee

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 03:38:34 PM »
I was out on the designated hunting land scouting the snow for coyote tracks. Nobody is supposed to be out there on any kind of motorized vehicle without written permission from the landowner

How does that work?  Out here, designated hunting land would imply public land.
Who designated it hunting land -and who is the landowner?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 03:43:41 PM »
Couldn't the State be the owner and designate it hunting land for non-motorized use only?

Lee

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 04:09:36 PM »
Do they give written permission? That sounds more like a something a private individual would do.  The state usually designates land for use A or B...and issues permits, stamps, tags or such.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 04:12:15 PM »
True, you'd have to read "written permission" as meaning "license" or "permit" for it to be the State.

Strings

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 04:54:06 PM »
I've seen more than one variation of slightly miniatureized tank trap made for just such people...

280plus

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007, 05:49:36 PM »
Here it is privately owned land that the owner has given the public permission to hunt on by using a daily permit. So before I go out there I have to go to the local Auto Parts store and get a permit. I can get it 2 days prior to my hunt. Because it IS private land the landowner can also give written permission to people for snow machines or ATVs but they must be registered and the written permission MUST be on their person. I've already talked to the guy I get the permit from and he says noone should be out there on anything motorized which tells me the landowner has not given anyone any written permission. The next thing for me to do is contact the landowner and ask him if he's been handing out any permission. Plus, at the end of the month I need to get his written permission anyways to do any further hunting there because the desinated season only goes from Oct 1 to Feb 28 of any given year. So he and I are going to become aquainted. I reported the whole thing to the DEP because that's what I was told to do the last time I raised questions about people being out there on ATVs. They came out but by that time, naturally, the A-hole had disappeared. We talked coyote hunting for a while though.  grin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2007, 06:30:09 PM »
Well, there was most certainly a major a-hole snowmobiler here recently...they came out of the woods, robbed a bank, and then went back into the woods with the snowmobile. I think that qualifies!
NEW HAMPTON  A man who held up a Franklin Savings Bank branch with either a rifle or a shotgun drove away on a snowmobile after the armed robbery yesterday afternoon.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?articleId=b788b247-4e3a-4fd1-a561-fa3ab0c6a477

280plus

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2007, 03:15:52 AM »
Wow,,,this world is REALLY going to hell in a handbasket...  rolleyes

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 07:07:54 AM »
Right, this one just happened to be on a snowmobile. Sorry, I generalized.  grin

cheesy

But....if you shoot it....where in the hell do you find a taxidermist to stuff a snowmobile?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 07:11:11 AM »
You know, I hadn't thought about that... cheesy

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 07:30:27 AM »
are all snowmobilers A-holes?

No, only most of them Tongue

Trouble is that a lot of them take that opportunity to drink and "drive"  There was one that head-on'ed a 10 yo boy some years back in CO Sad
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

280plus

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2007, 07:39:42 AM »
Yea, I suspected a few libations were packed into this one. He was being awful brave...

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2007, 08:12:57 AM »
There do seem to be an above average percentage of jerks who happen to have snowmobiles.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 09:26:48 AM »
Goldwing riders are no better.

Rewind back to july, and I had some dumb ass pull off the road and confront me with unfriendly words, and even go as far as say "i'll shove that gun right up your ass".  All this while I was carrying my bushmaster AR15 laid out in woodchuck gear. 

takes all kinds

280plus

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2007, 10:25:53 AM »
As luck would have it, this one screamed a lot of stuff and acted like he might jump but never once threatened me. My 870 is the youth cut, 20" barrel with a shortened stock, so it's pretty small, light and manuverable, perfect for the brush I was in. I was holding it at port arms and I'm sure he knew he wasn't going to be getting the drop on me. He definitely looked like he wanted to. When it was obvious we weren't going to be getting anywhere I backed up a couple steps and then turned and walked away. He made no move to follow, just yelled at me some more.