Author Topic: Would Jesus wash Osama bin Laden's feet?  (Read 2833 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Would Jesus wash Osama bin Laden's feet?
« on: April 10, 2011, 11:33:11 AM »
http://www.revelife.com/695683765/jesus-christ-washing-osama-bin-ladens-feet/

This is from about four years ago, but I don't think we ever discussed it here. A lot of people were offended by some posters in a mall, in which Jesus washes the feet of various world leaders, including Osama bin Laden. It seems that most of the offended self-identified as Christians, (supposedly). Given that Jesus washed the feet of Judas Iscariot, I don't see what the uproar is all about.

One blogger said that "My Jesus would use nunchucks on Osama bin Laden. Or maybe rip his still beating heart out, Temple of Doom style." I understand that sentiment, but I think he misses the whole point of the artwork, and maybe even the Biblical account that is in view. I really doubt that the artist was trying to say that Christ wanted bin Laden's feet to be fresh and clean, so he could more comfortably plot death and destruction. I think it had something to do with Christ's love and forgiveness being open to all.

The one thing I'm not sure I'm on board with is the idea of putting OBL on a level with more legitimate world leaders. Or Kofi Annan, either.

The passage in which Christ washes stinky feet may be found here.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:37:38 AM by The artist formerly known as fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Would Jesus wash Osama bin Laden's feet?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 11:37:35 AM »
My Jesus would use his Vulcan mind control on Chuck Norris, and Chuck would turn OBL into a rumpled meat-sack full of splintered bone.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 01:01:39 PM »
In the interest of full disclosure, I'm not a Christian, but I have studied various and sundry flavors of chistianity's teachings.

My answer would be "Yes."

Unfortunately, many take
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another
to mean "love" in the sense of being pleased by, enjoying, or being fond of.  I do not believe that was the meaning implied, but rather something along the lines of "respect" or "honor."

I believe that if one accepts the descriptions of Jesus' worldview one must accept that he would respect every person regardless of that person's faults and failures.  Just as Jesus "respected" Judas' failure to be faithful (something that Jesus "knew" was necessary in order for Jesus to be able to fulfill his assigned role) Jesus "respected," for example, Simon Peter's request to have his hands and face washed as well as his feet.  Had he not "respected" - in this case think "allowed" - the request to be made, it would not have been possible to differentiate for the desciples the act of washing the feet (the purging of recent and temporary sins) and washing the entire body (the purging of all sin).

Yes, this goes to a view that Jesus only purged/purges only recent and temporary sins.  It also contains the view that there is another, different agent that will purge all sin.  Anybody that does not like that view is challenged to then explain why a trinity as opposed to a singularity.

stay safe.

* edited to correct spelling.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 01:20:18 PM »
One blogger said that "My Jesus would use nunchucks on Osama bin Laden. Or maybe rip his still beating heart out, Temple of Doom style." I understand that sentiment, but I think he misses the whole point of the artwork, and maybe even the Biblical account that is in view. I really doubt that the artist was trying to say that Christ wanted bin Laden's feet to be fresh and clean, so he could more comfortably plot death and destruction. I think it had something to do with Christ's love and forgiveness being open to all.

Respectfully speaking, I've met few Christians that read the Bible cover to cover.  Of the few that I've met that did, only a very few did so more than once.  Most seem to focus on specific lines instead of entire books/sections.  I don't get it, but it appears fairly common to do so?

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 01:25:46 PM »
Would Jesus wash Osama bin Laden's feet?
No, Jesus washed the feet of his Apostles, who were his followers and believed in him.

Bin Laden would not be a believer of Jesus, so he would not wash his feet.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 02:03:30 PM »
Respectfully speaking, I've met few Christians that read the Bible cover to cover.  Of the few that I've met that did, only a very few did so more than once.  Most seem to focus on specific lines instead of entire books/sections.  I don't get it, but it appears fairly common to do so?

I suspect so.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 02:11:59 PM »
Jesus said "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's" but was not much for honoring and tending to the worldly needs & vanities of the powerful.  Also, verse one of the passage hints at the purpose, "Now before the Feast of the Passover, Jesus knowing that His hour had come that He would depart out of this world to the Father, having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the end."

IOW, on the eve before he washed away their sins with his blood, he symbolically washed the grime from their feet.

Check out verses 7 & 8, where Jesus makes it plain:
"Jesus answered and said to him, "What I do you do not realize now, but you will understand hereafter."  Peter [!] said to Him, "Never shall You wash my feet!" Jesus answered him, "If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me."

So, no, OBL as an outspoken unbeliever gets to meet God with his sins on his soul and grime on his feet.  If OBL has a change of heart and comes to believe Jesus is is savior, then alrighty with the Almighty making OBL's feet clean & whitey.

To sum up, those responsible for the image are clueless as to the meaning of the passage.  I am reminded of the scene in A Fish Called Wanda where JL Curtis dresses down the K Klein character about his total misapprehension of the philosophical and religious works he has read.

Wanda: But you think you're an intellectual, don't you, ape?
    Otto: [superior smile] Apes don't read philosophy.
    Wanda: Yes they do, Otto, they just don't understand it! Let me correct you on a few things; Aristotle was not Belgian! The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself!" And the London Underground is not a political movement! Those are all mistakes. I looked them up.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 02:40:42 PM »
No, Jesus washed the feet of his Apostles, who were his followers and believed in him.

Bin Laden would not be a believer of Jesus, so he would not wash his feet.

I respectfully disagree.

Jhn 13:12  So when He had washed their feet, and taken His garments and reclined at the table again, He said to them, "Do you know what I have done to you?

Jhn 13:13    "You call Me Teacher and Lord; and you are right, for so I am.

Jhn 13:14    "If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet.

Jhn 13:15    "For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you.

Jhn 13:16    "Truly, truly, I say to you, a slave is not greater than his master, nor is one who is sent greater than the one who sent him.

Jesus said he washed the feet of the disciples as an example. He told them to go out and do the same thing -- in other words, he delegated.

I don't think Jesus himself would have washed the feet of any world leaders, because world leaders were/are not His disciples and would not understand the significance of the act. But I believe that Jesus would not object to one or more of the disciples washing the feet of world leaders, and I think He would also go along with washing Bin Laden's feet.

That would be to signify forgiveness. It would be the equivalent of turning the other cheek.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 02:42:30 PM »
To sum up, those responsible for the image are clueless as to the meaning of the passage.

Agreed 100 percent.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 08:19:51 PM »
Not sure about the circumstance where Christ would be found in a position to wash ObL's feet.

The whole feet washing is/was a cultural thing and the lessons being taught need to be understood in that context.

Having said that, Christ is resurrected, Christians are here, Christians are charged with emulated His love and service. So the question is really would you as a professed follower of Christ wash ObL's feet if called upon to do so?

I suspect most of us who profess Christ as our Lord and savior would probably, just as Peter did in the garden, draw our swords and strike to kill.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 09:39:53 PM »
Of course he would................ as a pretext to break his toes.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 10:11:14 PM »
My toenails need clipping. 
Any of you dopes up to the task?
7-11 was a part time job.