Author Topic: Android? E-mail?  (Read 919 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Android? E-mail?
« on: May 25, 2019, 09:59:16 PM »
My old faithful Samsung Galaxy SIII cell phone finally cashed in. Went from holding a usable charge, with moderate use throughout the day, for a full day and evening to sucking down from 100% to 5% over the course of three or so hours with NO usage. So I took the plunge and I now have a Galaxy J3 Eclipse.

I also have a Samsung Tab S2 tablet, and I'd like to be able to run the same e-mail app on both. They both have an app pre-installed called "Email," but they have different icons and I have no warm and fuzzy intuition that they are actually the SAME "Email" app. So I'm looking for an email client app for Android. Needs to handle IMAP and be able to handle a couple or three different e-mail accounts. I'm a computer dummy, so easy is better, but capable and flexible is probably more important. But I'm looking for an e-mail client. I don't need a built-in calendar, shopping list, address book, news feed,etc.

What's everyone using? I see an app called BlueMail is at or near the top of several Top Ten lists. Is that one a good choice?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Re: Android? E-mail?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 10:06:29 PM »
Bluemail.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 10:29:46 PM »
I use gmail for that.  It's linked to my Spectrum email account; not sure if I have it set up for IMAP or POP3.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 10:58:09 PM »
GMail.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 08:42:59 AM »
Gmail. Seamless across my laptop, my desktop, and my cell phone.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 10:24:53 AM »
I have to admit that I am surprised by how many of you are willing to allow Google to handle all your e-mail. I'm not prepared to do that.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 10:26:33 AM »
I use the Outlook app. Not the best IMHO but it's simple and straight to the point.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 12:25:18 PM »
On a PC, ya can't beat Mozilla Thunderbird Mailer. I just wish it worked on the Android as well.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 12:26:30 PM »
On a PC, ya can't beat Mozilla Thunderbird Mailer. I just wish it worked on the Android as well.

Thunderbird is what I use on my PCs and ditto on the Android wish
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 03:30:42 PM »
I use Thunderbird on my PCs. I also wish it were available for Android but ... it isn't.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 07:01:47 PM »
I really don't see what makes Google so much different from any other mail server program. You're still committing your data to someone else.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 08:21:01 PM »
I really don't see what makes Google so much different from any other mail server program. You're still committing your data to someone else.

Google actually reads and understands your mail.  Have you ever noticed the suggested canned replies?  They are all trite but appropriate to the content.  Also bill and appointment reminders for things that are not on your calendar -- those come from your mail.  It is a little creepy, but does not seem sinister (yet)
"It's good, though..."

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 09:22:34 PM »
I have to admit that I am surprised by how many of you are willing to allow Google to handle all your e-mail. I'm not prepared to do that.

You're using an Android phone. They can already get pretty much anything they want from you.  =|

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 12:44:11 AM »
You're using an Android phone. They can already get pretty much anything they want from you.  =|

Only from my phone. The less I link the phone to my computer, the less the Great Google has access to.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 07:29:45 AM »
Google actually reads and understands your mail.  Have you ever noticed the suggested canned replies?  They are all trite but appropriate to the content.  Also bill and appointment reminders for things that are not on your calendar -- those come from your mail.  It is a little creepy, but does not seem sinister (yet)

Google, please tell Bob to stop being so paranoid.

Bob, stop being so paranoid. And while you're here, would you like to see some ads about antidepressants?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 12:00:52 PM »
So speaking of the Gmail (which I use) and the prg "reading" email, I was just emailing a buddy to catch up and mentioned to him that I just bought an AR and two 1911s. Right after I wrote that sentence, Gmail popped up a, "Would you like to turn "confidential mode" on?"

Probably just coincidence, but if I were into tinfoil...  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2019, 12:05:42 PM »
So speaking of the Gmail (which I use) and the prg "reading" email, I was just emailing a buddy to catch up and mentioned to him that I just bought an AR and two 1911s. Right after I wrote that sentence, Gmail popped up a, "Would you like to turn "confidential mode" on?"

With Google, Facebook, and Apple you should always have your tinfoil hat on.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2019, 01:48:30 PM »

Probably just coincidence, but if I were into tinfoil...  :laugh:

I doubt there are any coincidences where Google and privacy are concerned.

This discussion has made my decision a lot easier, but not in the way I expected. I think I'll just continue to use my phone as a phone. If I need to stay on top of e-mail while away from home base, I have a Windows tablet and I have a Verizon Jetpack mobile WiFi hotspot, so I can do my e-mail on the tablet, away from Google's prying eyes. And still be able to use Thunderbird.

Win!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2019, 08:38:47 AM »
It's cute how you think that Google doesn't have access to that information...  >:D

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 09:16:17 AM »
Yahoo Mail
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2019, 10:49:12 AM »

It just suggested it to me, as I was writing an email to my parents telling them that the pharmacy called(automatic) to tell them that they have a prescription ready.

Given that the email is going to non-google addresses, I wonder how the heck "privacy mode" would even work, given how email works.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2019, 03:01:36 PM »
Many people don't seem to realize that when you hit send the e-mail isn't going straight to the receiver.
It's more like
Your computer ----> server ----> server ----> server ----> server ----> server ----> receiver
Of course this is highly simplified.

At any point along the way your e-mail can be intercepted and read.

- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2019, 03:21:59 PM »
You guys know you can use end to end encryption on your Gmail, right?

https://flowcrypt.com/
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 03:45:46 PM by dogmush »