Author Topic: Neither Rain nor Heat, nor Gloom of Night...  (Read 550 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Neither Rain nor Heat, nor Gloom of Night...
« on: September 05, 2019, 09:25:33 AM »
"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds"

Well, maybe rain. Also maybe heat. Also I don't work nights. Also I'm tired from walking riding around in my mail truck with the steering wheel on the right so I don't have to get out and walk.

USPS is changing job description so that letter carriers would only be carrying letters and not working in the office for half their day. Lawsuit ensues because of "physical suffering from pain and exhaustion." :)

https://www.govexec.com/workforce/2019/09/letter-carriers-sue-usps-over-push-radically-refashion-their-jobs/159605/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Neither Rain nor Heat, nor Gloom of Night...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 10:56:36 AM »
Postmaster General Ford Lincoln Mercury disapproves.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 04:16:35 PM »
Something needs to change.

In the past two weeks I have had two packages go walkabout. In both instances, the USPS tracking showed that the packages had been delivered, but I didn't have them. It eventually turned out that they were delivered ... to the right street number, on the wrong street. It took four days for one of them to be retrieved and delivered to me, and a full week for the other one.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 05:04:41 PM »

In the past two weeks I have had two packages go walkabout. In both instances, the USPS tracking showed that the packages had been delivered, but I didn't have them. It eventually turned out that they were delivered ... to the right street number, on the wrong street. It took four days for one of them to be retrieved and delivered to me, and a full week for the other one.
That happens to me occasionally.  It also happens with my mail.  The man with the same house number on the next street over has my phone number. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 05:18:58 PM »

That's only partially the post office's fault. They get the blame for the wrong address. Used to happen to my folks all the time when I was a kid - there was a "377" two streets over and we always got the mail switched.

For the delay getting the package back, USPS has to be able to get it back from the people they delivered it to. If it's taking four days, it means the neighbor has been holding it that long.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 06:12:53 PM »
We have mailboxes at the curb.  For a couple of weeks, we didn't get any mail, and we were expecting mail.  Finally got a post card saying mail could not be delivered at our box.  Called local Post Office, and were told by supervisor that we would not get mail delivered so long as there was a car parked within 25 feet of the mailbox, either side. We point out that (1) it's a legal parking spot, which they dispute and (2) it's not our vehicle. Supervisor meets us at box with a local cop. Cope says it's a legal spot, and the truck parked there is legal. Supervisor says too bad, not his problem, no delivery. When I ask about the postcard, and how it got in our box. Supervisor says the letter carrier put in. I ask how. Says she walked up and put it in. I ask why they can't do that with the mail, he says she's not allowed.   :facepalm:
We asked neighbor to not park there from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., which was fine and worked out, unless someone else grabs the spot...  Supervisor said we need to petition the city to make it an illegal parking area. Cop laughed and wished us luck.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 06:29:42 PM »
I actually had that same kinda thing when I moved here. Official notices, but placed in the mailbox by the carrier. They apparently carry them around like a cop's ticket book.

Notice #1 was that I had to move my trash can. I had in in the exact spot the previous owners put it for trash day, but I got the notice that it was too hard  for the carrier to pull up to the mailbox (I have a rural box on the road), so now I put the trashcan on the other side of my driveway on trash day.

Notice #2 was that I had too many potholes in my 1/4 mile driveway for when packages were delivered and they would no longer deliver packages until I fixed it. Admittedly, the previous owners had the driveway looking like a 4x4 trail, but it was expensive and a lot of work (I graded it myself) at an inopportune time. I did get a nice thank you letter after  I did it. :)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 07:07:14 PM »
I had the SAME letter mis-delivered to my home THREE times. Right house number wrong street. (And the addressee's street name did NOT resemble mine at all - not even close.)

The FIRST time, I simply wrote on the envelope "DELIVERED TO WRONG ADDRESS"

The SECOND time, I wrote on the envelope "DELIVERED TO WRONG ADDRESS - TWICE NOW. NOTE STREET NAME."

The THIRD time, I waved down the letter carrier on her way back down my street and explained what was going on. She laughed and said she'd take care of it. Didn't get the same letter again.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 07:31:40 PM »
UPS is not free from fault either.
I had a package from a little business in Kansas that I like to buy from occasionally. It required an "adult over 21" signature.
My wife was home all day, she was keeping the dogs in the house because we expected the UPS delivery.
She went out to check the mail and there was a UPS tag on the front door. We'll try again tomorrow. The dogs were in the front room by the door and never alerted.
The dogs go ape-*expletive deleted*it when someone knocks on the door.
The UPS guy must be a *expletive deleted*ing Ninja.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams