Author Topic: %^#*^ Ford Key  (Read 675 times)

castle key

• friend
%^#*^ Ford Key
« on: September 07, 2019, 03:33:28 PM »
My clapped out but new to me dump runner 2004 Ford F150 seems to be a reasonably decent truck, but I have a stuck key problem.

The spare tire hoist thingy is accessed by a hole next to the rear plate that is key opened. The ignition key fit in fine. The lock didn't turn really easily, but with a bit of jiggling, it popped off. Clearly all of the gunk and gack from the road gums up those works.

The removed lock now works great and turns easily, but the key will not come out of the lock, no matter position or amount of finessing I give it.

Any thoughts on getting the key out of the lock? I have given it a graphite bath, but it feels as if it needs some sort of position change or release being pushed. My google searches are not giving me the info.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: %^#*^ Ford Key
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 04:01:16 PM »
Tap it lightly with something medium-heavy and non-marring a couple dozen times. Handle of a screwdriver or small hammet works pretty well. Enough to give it a solid jolt without the risk of breaking anything. Loosens all the crud and lets things move around a bit.

If that doesnt work, hose the living snot out of it with some type of non-chlorinated zero residue cleaner. That, plus the tappy-tap, should free it up.

Once it's dry, a few pufs of graphite powder to keep it working smoothly without attracting dust.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 06:16:21 PM »
I had that issue with  a lock once.  What worked was pushing the cylinder into the case of the lock with one finger while pulling on the key.  Pull on the key, while pushing on the cylinder.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 06:30:05 PM »
Detcord?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 07:49:01 PM »
Some locks have to be locked to remove the key.  Have you tried that?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 10:25:05 PM »
Know anyone with an ultrasonic cleaner?  Separated from the truck, it sounds like a good candidate for that.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 02:27:56 AM »
One of the tumbler pins is locked up.  Those locks are kind of notorious for not working.  Mi 04 F150 came to me with that thing in the glove compartment, ad I haven't reinstalled it.

Since you have it out, there should be a clip on back that's removal will allow disassembly of the whole lock cylinder.  Or use a bigger hammer.

There's no trick or release or anything (at least not on mine).