Poll

Where do you stand on Time?

sum_days(past)  = sum_days(future)
sum_days(past) > sum_days(future)
sum_days(past) < sum_days(future)
Fistful broke it

Author Topic: The Time Poll  (Read 14018 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: The Time Poll
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2010, 03:02:58 PM »
oops, I mean Pi are round...  :facepalm:

Did you say there was cake?  =D
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 03:04:04 PM »
Wait, wouldn't bacon pie be square?  ;)

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2010, 03:07:09 PM »
Time is an illusion

Lunchtime doubly so.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2010, 03:20:54 PM »
i can haz time thief. :O

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2010, 03:41:58 PM »
Pi are round, cornbread are square.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2010, 05:15:53 PM »
Time always has been, and always will be, long before and long after anyone's around to measure it.
It's infinite.

Since time is a by-product of creation, resulting from the creation of finite matter and finite minds, by an infinite, eternal God; my reflex is to say that time started at creation, and will continue for eternity. But that implies a point in time before time. Oh, no, I've gone cross-eyed.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2010, 05:46:39 PM »
I believe time will cease to exist when man ceases to exist. It is nothing more than a ruler used to mark out the day, week etc... The universe is timeless, man chooses to attach a value to it. Possibly out of necessity? It is based on the rotation of the earth and it's orbit around the sun. I'd say it's pretty arrogant of man to think that the secrets to the universe are based soley on the operating sequence of his particular planet. Like the universe revolves around us, right?   ;/

Then of course there's the whole ten fingers thing.

Pi is God's way of saying, [deep Godlike voice] "Mwah haa haaa, puny humans." [/deep Godlike voice]   :lol:

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2010, 06:00:33 PM »

Pi is God's way of saying, [deep Godlike voice] "Mwah haa haaa, puny humans." [/deep Godlike voice]   :lol:

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2010, 06:06:14 PM »
Actually, you are all a figment of my imagination and I'm a bit bored with your machinations.  I think I'm about ready to have a little target practice. [ar15] [ar15]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2010, 06:06:56 PM »
It is based on the rotation of the earth and it's orbit around the sun. I'd say it's pretty arrogant of man to think that the secrets to the universe are based soley on the operating sequence of his particular planet. Like the universe revolves around us, right?   ;/

No one's saying that time is dependent upon our planet.  Are they? ??? 

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2010, 06:07:19 PM »
I believe time will cease to exist when man ceases to exist.

Except, time existed prior to man's existence.

That's proven either Biblically, or scientifically.

God created Man on the 6th day, so there were 5 days prior to that.  And an unknown essence prior to the First Day, called "in the beginning," existed.  With an unknown period for which that "beginning" stretched.  Even the words used in Genesis 1:1 to 1:3 are interesting in this regard:

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

2 Now the earth was [a] formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

This "beginning" existed prior to the first day, and God created prior to it.  Which mean that time transcends God's creation of the Universe (or at least the heavens and the earth).  The verb choices in 1:2 are interesting, as well as the notion of "now."  Day one doesn't start until 1:3 (day cannot happen until light exists, so the events of 1:1 and 1:2 happen before day 1), but we have the acceptance of a point in time ("now") as well as demarking this moment with a past tense verb.

Granted, it isn't aramaic or the direct thoughts of God and merely the English language... but I bet similar notions of time acknowledgement are present in the original copies of Genesis.

or:

Dinosaurs were around long before man was there to observe them.  As well as many other species, or even lifelessness (comets, stars, etc can all be dated).  Carbon dating allows for the existence of time flow, or radioactive decay of some sort (in the case of astral bodies).
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2010, 06:07:26 PM »
Figment Newtons.  Isaac Newtons.  Whatever...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2010, 06:13:10 PM »
Does anyone know if the church of the FSM has defined how Time began?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2010, 06:20:21 PM »
Does anyone know if the church of the FSM has defined how Time began?

Knowing them, they probably say it began with a lame attempt to mock religion.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2010, 06:23:38 PM »
Knowing them, they probably say it began with a lame attempt to mock religion.

lol.

I notice that the ground the "midgit" is standing on exists... prior to the FSM creating it.  And he isn't standing on the FSM's mountain.

Evidently, Pastafarianism acknowledges that time spans before "the beginning."

ETA:  I also realized that the church of the FSM also evidently believes in Quantum Observation of Time.

There's a midget.  But there are no normal people.  So, the FSM created a midget with the intent of it being a midget and named as a midget.  Despite the fact that the midget is not a "midget" unless there is someone else to be compared against. 

So, if Observation and comparison can happen outside of the scope of the Observer's life cycle, then Time can exist outside of the scope of human perception.

[/shovel bovine excrement] =D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 06:40:02 PM by AZRedhawk44 »
--Lysander Spooner

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2010, 08:51:29 PM »
Actually, you are all a figment of my imagination and I'm a bit bored with your machinations.  I think I'm about ready to have a little target practice. [ar15] [ar15]
i get to be the first target. :P

yeah, today was a bad day. it'll pass. in 2 hours and 10 minutes =)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2010, 08:56:34 PM »
I wish to complain that the thread title is very disappointing. It should have been written like one of those sci-fi book titles, meant to entice the reader with awe and wonder.

The Poll of Time

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2010, 09:05:50 PM »
is that like "the poly of polies?" :O

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2010, 09:35:32 PM »
i get to be the first target. :P

yeah, today was a bad day. it'll pass. in 2 hours and 10 minutes =)

It's only 8:35 here in Chicago....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2010, 09:37:44 PM »
was looking at clock sideways. :facepalm: pain meds are workin' now anyway though. =D

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2010, 09:45:26 PM »
I cannot believe that I am the first to say:

Time is CUBED.

Darn you to Heck, MillCreek!  I'm at the library and just LOL'd.  A dozen law students are now giving me the Death Stare.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2010, 09:47:30 PM »
A dozen law students are now giving me the Death Stare.

The time cube bids you ignore them. They are educated stupid and evil by dumb**s teachers to worship evil word god.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2010, 11:13:05 PM »
Time is an illusion created by our brains to make sense of different states of entropy.

The universe may simply exist in a "long now" where matter and energy are free to move, but there actually is no time.

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/jun/in-no-time

Keep in mind there is no such thing as a device that actually measures time. We have many devices that count the swings of a pendulum, the unwinding of springs as moderated by gears, the vibrations of a quartz crystal exposed to an electrical current, or the vibration of cesium atoms.

All these devices simply measure physical events that are presumed to progress in time.

Pretty much what he said. In this physical plane of existence, two material objects cannot occupy the same space simultaneously, so we create the concept we call "time" to differentiate between when Object 'A' can occupy a specific subset of the space-time continuum and when Object 'B' can occupy that particular portion of the space-time continuum.

Once we get to the angelic realms, they have no physical being, thus they can occupy the same "space" at the same "time." Once that is possible, the concept of time becomes extraneous.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2010, 11:44:26 PM »
Pretty much what he said. In this physical plane of existence, two material objects cannot occupy the same space simultaneously, so we create the concept we call "time" to differentiate between when Object 'A' can occupy a specific subset of the space-time continuum and when Object 'B' can occupy that particular portion of the space-time continuum.

Once we get to the angelic realms, they have no physical being, thus they can occupy the same "space" at the same "time." Once that is possible, the concept of time becomes extraneous.

Time also differentiates between "Hawkmoon is at the library" and "Hawkmoon is getting down at the disco." So unless angels can be in two places at once, they still observe time.

More importantly, if angels are beyond time, wouldn't that imply eternal existence? That might work OK for some belief systems, not so much for others.

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2010, 02:01:28 AM »
Time is a measure of change.  If there is no change, then how can you say there is time?  Time exists independent of man, because well, things change!  The universe expands, planets orbit stars, atoms jiggle.  NONE of this can be explored without the use of time.  Time is as critical to an understanding of physics as the spatial coordinate systems we have constructed.  Man need not observe this change for time to exist.

In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford