Author Topic: The Three Peroids of Survivalist Literature  (Read 819 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
The Three Peroids of Survivalist Literature
« on: July 04, 2011, 02:49:36 PM »
for your consideration

http://jasonswalters.blogspot.com/

I don't believe I've ever read an article or a book analyzing survivalist fiction as a distinct sub-genre with it's own literary qualities, artistic goals, and objective merits. Of course it's easy to see why. The sort of people who enjoy performing that kind of abstract literary zoology tend to also be urbane, liberal academics, who either instinctively dislike the entire idea of the genre, or find the sorts of people who read and write such books to be so inherently repulsive as to be unmentionable. Hence the lack of McFarland publications entitled things like "Preparedness Or Paranoia? A guide to the work of James Wesley Rawles" or "Boston T. Party: a guide to the fiction and non-fiction of Kenneth W. Royce."
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The Three Peroids of Survivalist Literature
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 05:18:18 PM »
What a thoroughgoing failure. He totally ignores what is arguably the most likely type of TEOTWAWKI event, and its literature. I guess he's gone along with the crowd that wants to bury its head in the sand, and ignore the frightening (but all too real) possibility of zombie outbreak.  :mad:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 07:02:28 PM »
It's an interesting post.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 07:09:52 PM »
Gunsmith, is this your blog?

I ask, because of this:   http://jasonswalters.blogspot.com/2011/03/flattering-review.html

...But if you’ve spent time in the desert you’ll almost believe these things could be real. The author knows whereof he writes. He has a ranch in the Black Rock desert and he sent me
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 08:54:39 PM »
The classification fails, given that the medical TEOTWAWKI is lumped in with environmental. Jack London's Scarlet Plague was published in 1905.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 10:26:06 PM »
On the contrary, a book on the topic exists:

http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/nuclear/index.htm
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 11:03:27 PM »
Gunsmith, is this your blog?

I ask, because of this:   http://jasonswalters.blogspot.com/2011/03/flattering-review.html

...But if you’ve spent time in the desert you’ll almost believe these things could be real. The author knows whereof he writes. He has a ranch in the Black Rock desert and he sent me

Nope, not me but I live on his ranch! in my various I've referred to Mr Ranch owner, that's Jason. ... I'm merely a serf with a gun.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 01:40:17 AM »
What's a peroid? I note it's spelled that way in the actual blog post as well as here.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.