Author Topic: The Train in Spain kills and mainly causes Pain  (Read 1632 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
The Train in Spain kills and mainly causes Pain
« on: July 25, 2013, 01:35:52 PM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2377113/Spain-train-crash-video-At-78-people-killed-140-injured-Santiago-Compostela-derailment.html

But it's name is not Blaine.

Driver has facebook posts of taking the train to 200 km/h and bragging about it.  Oops.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: The Train in Spain kills and mainly causes Pain
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 01:39:08 PM »
"The train in Spain..." At least I'm not the only one who immediately thought of that.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 12:48:07 PM »
I remember one elevated train operator who used to take one sharp curve in Brooklyn as fast as he could, which would have dumped the train onto the street below.  I swear once or twice the pickup arm would leave the third rail since the lights would blink out.

I used to like to ride in the first car of the El and look out the front door window and the first time I saw that curve come up at that speed, I damn near shat in my pants.  The train gave a big lurch as it hit the curve.  I still have a Technicolor movie of that in my mind.

Figured out another route to get home, using the subway instead of the El.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 01:27:28 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 01:02:20 PM »

Say, wouldn't that have been 125 kilometers-per-hour instead of MPH?

Terry, 230RN

There's a pic in the linked article of a speedometer at 200km/h.  At 0.62 miles per kilometer, that's about 125mph.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 01:30:42 PM »
^ Yeah, thanks, I saw that later and edited my post before I saw yours.

I also wanted to add a remark about nobody in the company seeing his Facebook page bragging about speeding.  Jeeze, ya think in this day and age (at least here in the "free" US), the employer would have been looking at his Facebook posts and inquired about this operator's speeding.

And speaking of "my" train's third rail pickup leaving the power rail, I later noticed the flash above the cars as their overhead pickups left the wires.  At least I think that's what it was.

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_rail
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 01:45:56 PM by 230RN »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 01:53:21 PM »
Driver has facebook posts of taking the train to 200 km/h and bragging about it.  Oops.

The train is SUPPOSED to go that fast (and faster). It's like a pilot showing the airspeed indicator and bragging about 500 MPH in a 747.

The only issue is that it wasn't supposed to go that fast on that curve, not in general. Someone screwed up, but the Facebook posts aren't an indicator of that.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 02:36:20 PM »
In one of his facebook posts the engineer had words to the effect of "Look how fast I go - if I go faster I get fired!" which suggests that time he was going as fast as permitted - but not faster.

Clearly that wasn't the case this time, as it appears he was going more than double the speed limit.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 04:26:45 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/10204017/Spain-train-crash-Driver-said-afterwards-he-wanted-to-die.html

According to the British press, the driver told rescuers that he messed up and wanted to die.

If true, it sounds like human error is the cause of this crash, which would be not too surprising as that is the cause of most crashes.

Still, we don't know why or how he thinks he messed up. (I'm still willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until more evidence comes in.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 05:40:40 PM »
From last night's CNN article on the whole Spanish high-speed train story, it appears that the new high-speed rails were laid in old roadbed, and to save money they didn't increase the diameter of each turn radius to allow for faster turns.

So these express trains were speed-restricted in turns, only able to go fast in the straightaways, and forced to slow down when turning. 

They were forced by two things:  posted railroad orders, and the laws of physics.

It appears our intrepid engineer thought he could break both rules.  Better luck next time!
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 07:59:58 PM »
^ Yeah, thanks, I saw that later and edited my post before I saw yours.

I also wanted to add a remark about nobody in the company seeing his Facebook page bragging about speeding.  Jeeze, ya think in this day and age (at least here in the "free" US), the employer would have been looking at his Facebook posts and inquired about this operator's speeding.

And speaking of "my" train's third rail pickup leaving the power rail, I later noticed the flash above the cars as their overhead pickups left the wires.  At least I think that's what it was.

Terry, 230RN

REF:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_rail

I have two facebook accounts, one for employers to see ( and my mom ) and the other where I say whatever I want.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 10:51:24 PM »
From last night's CNN article on the whole Spanish high-speed train story, it appears that the new high-speed rails were laid in old roadbed, and to save money they didn't increase the diameter of each turn radius to allow for faster turns.

So these express trains were speed-restricted in turns, only able to go fast in the straightaways, and forced to slow down when turning. 

They were forced by two things:  posted railroad orders, and the laws of physics.

It appears our intrepid engineer thought he could break both rules.  Better luck next time!

My bet is that he was texting and didn't pay attention to where he was and how fast he was going. He was reportedly going 190 km/hr, which is about 120 mph. The speed limit was 80 km/hr, which is about 50 mph. The crash was either 2-1/2 km from the station in that town, or 2-1/2 miles. Even if it was miles, I don't think you can pull a train down from 120 mph to a stop in 2-1/2 miles. Certainly not in 2-1/2 kilometers.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 12:12:32 PM »
I'm wondering if he didn't put on the brakes as his lead car rounded the curve and he realized he was too fast.  Seems to me it would take a while for the brake-on signal to get to the rest of the train and the remaining "pushing" from the rearmost cars  made the train buckle in the middle, throwing it off the tracks in mid-curve.

I dunno much about electric-trainey-things, but it seems possible that something like that could have happened.  Would explain why the middle cars went off the rails first.

Jes' wondering.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:18:34 PM by 230RN »

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 12:17:43 PM »
I'm wondering if he didn't put on the brakes as his lead car rounded the curve.  Seems to me it would take a while for the brake-on signal to get to the rest of the train and the remaining "pushing" from the rearmost cars didn't make the train buckle in the middle, throwing it off the tracks in mid-curve.

I dunno much about electric-trainey-things, but it seems possible that something like that could have happened.  Would explain why the middle cars went off the rails first.

Jes' wondering.

Terry, 230RN

Like a dumb brachiosaurus?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LFQun4HQj8#t=1m55s

(1 minute 55 seconds in)
--Lysander Spooner

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 12:24:31 PM »
^  Yeah, sorta.  (I edited my post for clarity in the interim.)

Dumb thing shouldn't have played in traffic.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 05:56:24 PM »
nevermind
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:01:32 PM by Viking »
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila