Author Topic: The towns that time forgot. SmallTown, USA, struggling.  (Read 972 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
The towns that time forgot. SmallTown, USA, struggling.
« on: July 17, 2015, 02:26:59 PM »
An exceptionally good article on my tiny home town of Crowell, TX, and how it, like many other small rural communities, is struggling simply to survive.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/headlines/20150717-the-other-texas-the-boom-forgot-rural-foard-county-struggles-to-stay-afloat.ece

Brad
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 03:14:12 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: The towns that time forgot. SmallTown, USA, struggling.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 03:03:07 PM »
Many parallels with the little town I call home. Population about the same.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 04:45:19 PM »
Pretty much exactly describes the little town that is our county seat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5cPIrvnWc4
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 05:56:21 PM »
There have always been ghost towns, but I wonder if this won't level off a bit, as more people begin working from home. If there are further advances in communication and transportation, might our economy and population get less centralized? We've already seen the shipping container move manufacturing out of the city limits. Maybe it will spread to more and more rural areas.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife