Author Topic: The Tricks Of Priceline, Expedia, et al  (Read 600 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
The Tricks Of Priceline, Expedia, et al
« on: March 26, 2016, 02:52:45 PM »
I've been using Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com and some other online services since I moved here to AL. It's interesting how they can mislead and play games and get away with it.

I booked my trip to Sicily in April back in October. When I was on the line with the salesman, he asked if I wanted their "Cancel For Any Reason" insurance for $75. My trip being out six months, I said "sure".

Well, it's not exactly "cancel for any reason", and it's not exactly insurance.  When I read the fine print, I found that, in order to get a full refund of the cost of the trip, you have to be dead, in the hospital, or so ill that there's no way in the world you could take the trip. You have to give your doctor forms to fill out. Expedia does make good on their promise, though, by refunding their $200 fee. Even if you have a legitimate reason for cancelling, it's my understanding that the insurance company will fight you.

If you just need to cancel, it's up to the airline whether to keep all of your money, give you some portion in credit for other flights, or let you postpone the trip one year. My guess is that most would keep your money.

Priceline has their "name your own price" feature. I never used it before because I always had a certain hotel I wanted to stay in. The last couple of times, though, I used it and was surprised. I'd bid $50 on a 3.5 star hotel in a specific area and get something like a Marriott

This morning I was examining the receipt I have for my latest hotel booking. They had the $100 on there for the amount I bid, but then there was $37 in taxes and fees. I pulled some Priceline hotel receipts from months back, and there were no fees. Just $9 or $10 for taxes. So they got an extra $27 in fees that offset my low bid.

Tricky.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: The Tricks Of Priceline, Expedia, et al
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 03:04:43 PM »
Taxes and fees are location-dependent. Some state and local tax/fees are rediculously exhorbitant. Others, not so much.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 03:55:54 PM »
Atlanta, same area for all of the hotels.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 05:28:05 PM »
Even if you have a legitimate reason for cancelling, it's my understanding that the insurance company will fight you.

From Terry's Rules Of Thumb*, ROT #327:

"Insurance companies are in the busines of collecting premiums.  They are not in the business of paying claims."

I'm sure you've heard me say that before.  Amusingly, a local attorney who is semi-famous for fighting insurance companies in car accidents has been using similar phraseology in his TV ads lately.  I like to think he's a shooter and reads my crap on APS.  :rofl:

I just like to think that and feel all warm and fuzzy inside every once in a while, even though the premise is obvious to anyone who thinks about it.  I always have to laugh when I hear "You're in good hands with <name of insurance company.>"  Yeah, around your neck.

Terry, 230RN

* A book I started writing at age 70.  Full title: "Terry's Rules Of Thumb for Life and Whatever Else Ails You." ;/
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 05:46:38 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.