Author Topic: She's MY candidate!  (Read 2530 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
She's MY candidate!
« on: December 20, 2007, 05:41:41 AM »
ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- Former Democratic Rep. Cynthia McKinney, who was ousted from office last year after a headline-grabbing scuffle with a Capitol Hill police officer, has decided to seek the presidency -- as a Green Party candidate.

In a video posted on the Internet on Tuesday, McKinney criticized the war in Iraq and complained about Democrats and Republicans, saying both parties are beholden to corrupt corporate interests. She called the Green Party "my new political home."

McKinney, 52, registered to vote in California after a group called Run! Cynthia! Run! began drafting her as the Green Party's candidate there. Since then, she had made campaign appearances in Texas, Oklahoma, Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

"The Democrats do not speak for us," she said. "The Democrats are no different than their Republican counterparts."

McKinney served six terms representing a suburban Atlanta district but was defeated in 2006 by DeKalb County Commissioner Hank Johnson. She had been the first black woman elected to Congress from Georgia.

One of her final acts in Congress was to introduce a bill to impeach President Bush, saying he misled Congress into approving the war in Iraq and violated the law by secretly spying on citizens. She once claimed Bush had been warned of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

McKinney is one of at least seven Green Party candidates for president. The party will select its presidential nominee at its July 10 convention in Chicago.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: She's MY candidate!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 05:53:40 AM »
If she even gets a minute of real press time.. it will be entertaining at the least.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 05:55:45 AM »
I hope the Green Party runs a serious candidate, capable of drawing a significant number of votes from uberliberals.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 06:15:18 AM »
I really support Kimberly McFriendly for President  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 06:17:18 AM »
She'd go crazy and have a screeching slap attack against Ahmadinejad and Chavez?

Could work, who knows?  cheesy

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 07:20:43 AM »
It's actually a little scary to me that there are people out there who WANT her to be President.

And I'm planning to vote for (Oops, I almost said his name.) a lower tier candidate on the Republican side who is frequently laughed at.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

griz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 08:05:48 AM »
When I read she was going to run in California my first thought was now we know what the striking comedy writers are doing.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.