Author Topic: Moms are a powerful political force: Target bans guns in stores  (Read 4163 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/07/02/target-no-guns-policy/12014451/

From the article:

"Like Chipotle, Starbucks, Facebook, Jack in the Box, Sonic, and Chili's, Target recognized that moms are a powerful customer base and political force – and you can respect the 2nd Amendment and the safety of customers at the same time."

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

onions!

• friend
  • Space for rent.
Re: Moms are a powerful political force: Target bans guns in stores
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 10:56:58 AM »
I don't really see the point.
"But starting today we will also respectfully request that guests not bring firearms to Target – even in communities where it is permitted by law."
Not a ban.
Just mollifying some antis.
Riding the fence.
jeff w

I like onions!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 11:36:24 AM »
In the event I shop at Target, I will respectfully refuse to honor the request. =)
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 12:28:25 PM »
Hopefully the gun community will acknowledge the lack of "banning" by keeping their pie holes shut and not flaunt Targets attempt to please all parties.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 02:24:03 PM »
In the event I shop at Target, I will respectfully refuse to honor the request. =)

I think the year started in "198" the last time I was in a Target.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 02:32:14 PM »
I will be curious to see if the Target near me goes as far as to put up the sign on the door that invalidates my HCP.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 03:50:34 PM »
If they are smart, they will do nothing to back the statement up.  Just let it stand.  The "anti-s" will puff up and think they did something, but effectively, it won't matter a whole lot.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 04:02:52 PM »

As far as I know, they have to ask you to leave.

We don't have no-gun zones aside from statutory ones like court rooms (not court house, but I don't fight them on it), schools (maybe, sorta) and airport security zones. You can get hit with trespassing if they ask you to leave and you don't. Technically, you could get arrested by the police for trespassing on the sign alone, I suppose, but I've never heard of it happening. I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on the interwebz.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 06:01:04 PM »
Thread title fail. Really egregious thread title fail, that looks like it was written by a Mom Demanding Action. Can we please have that changed, please?

Another non-victory for the pro-violence moms. There is no ban, and the "moms" get enough lip service to make them go away.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 06:04:21 PM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 06:11:22 PM »
Thread title fail. Really egregious thread title fail, that looks like it was written by a Mom Demanding Action. Can we please have that changed, please?

Another non-victory for the pro-violence moms. There is no ban, and the "moms" get enough lip service to make them go away.

Why do you hate moms?  Especially moms demanding action!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 06:33:23 PM »
Why do you hate moms?  Especially moms demanding action!

We'd better quit talking about moms demanding action, or jamis will have to go to his bunk.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2014, 07:44:37 PM »
The spokesman for Target issued a "clarification." In her own words it is "not a ban", they "will not be posting signs" and "no one will be asked to leave."

They just wanted MDA off their backs by tossing them a bone. They like all the other non-banners realize where the political will -and- customer money is.

Still, they made the request and I will continue to not shop there anyway. ;)
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 07:55:50 PM »
There should really be something like a Moms for guns or a Moms for defense of their children or something like that.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 09:14:20 PM »
There should really be something like a Moms for guns or a Moms for defense of their children or something like that.

I think there are multiple social medium* pages to that effect, but I don't know how active they are. Of course, in terms of numbers, MDA is pretty sluggish. Their effectiveness (such it is) consists of supportive news media, and Bloombert money.

*Medium, because it's all on the internet. That's only one of the dang mediases.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 11:29:52 PM »
I think the year started in "198" the last time I was in a Target.

2006 =(

But, in my defense, the wife was in the hospital after her heart attack and it was the closest place that I had a reasonable expectation of being able to find a Backgammon board.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 08:39:22 AM »
Maybe it's just the part of the world where I live, but Target by me is far better than Wal Mart, Meijer, and similar places for things like DVDs, toys, and cheap clothing items.  I'd much rather shop at the local Target than I would the local Wal Mart, which exemplifies "People of Wal Mart" better than the web site photos.  As for their "request," since it's not a ban, and they aren't going to post the restriction signs, who cares?  The fact that they aren't going to post and ban CCW means I don't have to change my carry habits at all.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 09:33:16 AM »
Maybe it's just the part of the world where I live, but Target by me is far better than Wal Mart, Meijer, and similar places for things like DVDs, toys, and cheap clothing items.  I'd much rather shop at the local Target than I would the local Wal Mart, which exemplifies "People of Wal Mart" better than the web site photos.  As for their "request," since it's not a ban, and they aren't going to post the restriction signs, who cares?  The fact that they aren't going to post and ban CCW means I don't have to change my carry habits at all.

I agree.  Target has a much better shopping environment than Walmart.  I go to the Target 10 miles away even though Walmart is only 2 miles away.

Even if Target does "ban" guns in their stores, I subscribe to the theory that out of sight is out of mind.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
I agree.  Target has a much better shopping environment than Walmart.  I go to the Target 10 miles away even though Walmart is only 2 miles away.

Even if Target does "ban" guns in their stores, I subscribe to the theory that out of sight is out of mind.
Depends most on where the walmart is located.  If in decent suburbia it will be decent.  In the hood or on the hood border it will get ugly.

Not as many targets in the hood but they can also get the skeevy element.
But target deliberately uh targets a slightly more affluent customer base.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 11:19:05 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/MomsWithGunsDemandAction

http://www.momsdemandaction.org/

http://www.moms-with-guns-demand-action.org/

I'm sure there are more, this was just from a quick search . . . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Depends most on where the walmart is located.  If in decent suburbia it will be decent.  In the hood or on the hood border it will get ugly.

Not as many targets in the hood but they can also get the skeevy element.
But target deliberately uh targets a slightly more affluent customer base.

All of the Walmarts I have been to in the last 10 years have been in nice neighborhoods.  The one closest to me is a recently-built store, but it still gets the same clientele every other Walmart does.  I stopped in last week just to get one item, instead of driving all the way to Target.  I passed two obviously high/drunk young people on a bench near the entrance and I overheard three more talking about how they couldn't go home because they were too high to drive.  I have seen some scuzzy people in Target, but Walmart always has more of the scuzzy element.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 04:15:23 PM »

Target disagrees with topic title.

http://www.columbian.com/news/2014/jul/02/target-asks-customers-not-to-bring-guns-to-its-sto/

Molly Snyder, a Target spokeswoman, said the retailer will not post signs at its stores asking people not to bring guns inside. "It is not a ban," she said. "There is no prohibition."

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 06:01:41 PM »
I prefer Target, myself. Bums me out that they paid any positive attention to the psycho moms, but they aren't posting their stores.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 06:22:30 PM »
The spokesman for Target issued a "clarification." In her own words it is "not a ban", they "will not be posting signs" and "no one will be asked to leave."

They just wanted MDA off their backs by tossing them a bone. They like all the other non-banners realize where the political will -and- customer money is.

Still, they made the request and I will continue to not shop there anyway. ;)

Do you have a link, I'd like to read that.

Oops, never mind I saw it posted later.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2014, 02:00:27 AM »
Didn't they used to have their logo on paper bags. I seem to remember using them for targets some decades ago. Got two per bag.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2014, 10:42:43 AM »
In other words, the open-rifle-carry types will probably get chased off, and it's otherwise just lip service.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”