Main Forums > The Roundtable

New car questions

(1/7) > >>

Hawkmoon:
This is a general question, covering everything from the least expensive econo-boxes to top tier luxury cars, pickups, and SUVs:

How many new cars today come with a security system standard from the factory? Of those that do, how many systems include an engine immobilizer function?

Do all new GM vehicles  have On-Star?

Yes, I should know ... but I haven't paid any attention to new vehicles since I ordered my 2000 Jeep Cherokee in the fall of 1999. Didn't need to, because the Cherokee is still serving me well.

Brad Johnson:
Most vehicles I can think of come with some type of rudimentary anti-theft system as part of their base package. Sophistication goes up as higher level option packages are selected.

It's almost by default any more since keyswitch assemblies no longer simply provide a connection from battery to starter solenoid. Everything runs through the engine management system, even starter motor run commands. All the key does is tick a microswitch which tells the computer you want the engine started. The computer engages a whole host runtime and accessory system checks, including things like "Is the key actually inserted or present in the vehicle?" before the actual starter motor is engaged.

Brad

MechAg94:
I guess it was a dealer add-on, but I got a lo-jack system put in also.  I think the Onstar stuff does that also.

Ben:

--- Quote from: Brad Johnson on August 12, 2020, 09:26:46 AM --- All the key does is

--- End quote ---

Is anything still coming with keys? Even base model loaners I've had when my vehicles are serviced have push button start. Same with rentals I've used over the past couple of years.

WLJ:

--- Quote from: Hawkmoon on August 11, 2020, 11:10:22 PM ---This is a general question, covering everything from the least expensive econo-boxes to top tier luxury cars, pickups, and SUVs:

How many new cars today come with a security system standard from the factory? Of those that do, how many systems include an engine immobilizer function?

Do all new GM vehicles  have On-Star?

Yes, I should know ... but I haven't paid any attention to new vehicles since I ordered my 2000 Jeep Cherokee in the fall of 1999. Didn't need to, because the Cherokee is still serving me well.

--- End quote ---

Both the 2003 and the 2007 Focuses (Foci?) sitting in my driveway have this feature so it's not exactly a new one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version