Main Forums > The Roundtable

New car questions

<< < (3/7) > >>

230RN:

--- Quote from: Ben on August 12, 2020, 11:30:46 AM ---Is anything still coming with keys? Even base model loaners I've had when my vehicles are serviced have push button start. Same with rentals I've used over the past couple of years.

--- End quote ---

Chuckle, chuckle.  Lost an "extra" key for '97 Subie, decided to replace it. (Without an "extra" key you don't have an "extra" key, right?)

Went to Subie dealer. decided to get two JIC (Just In Case).  Handed them my registration, they checked the pattern from the VIN, and ten minutes later I walked out with two "extras."

Eight bucks apiece.  Apiece, mind you.

Theft?  A '97 Subaru with > 230K on it?

Chuckle, chuckle.

I'm not signing this one so nobody can say I'm virtue signaling.

RoadKingLarry:
I used to get flyers from car dealers with "fake keys" stuck to them as some kind of promo deal.
Abut half of them would work in what ever it was I was driving at the time, I think it was my '97 Dodge truck, some would just open the door, a few would work in the ignition. I also had a few that would open the doors on my '00 Astro work van.
 :facepalm:

Nick1911:

--- Quote from: Brad Johnson on August 12, 2020, 09:26:46 AM ---Most vehicles I can think of come with some type of rudimentary anti-theft system as part of their base package. Sophistication goes up as higher level option packages are selected.

It's almost by default any more since keyswitch assemblies no longer simply provide a connection from battery to starter solenoid. Everything runs through the engine management system, even starter motor run commands. All the key does is tick a microswitch which tells the computer you want the engine started. The computer engages a whole host runtime and accessory system checks, including things like "Is the key actually inserted or present in the vehicle?" before the actual starter motor is engaged.

--- End quote ---

Brad said it well.  That is a good answer to the fairly generic question posed.

Is there a specific car you'd like to know more about Hawkmoon; or is this more of a general knowledge kind of thing?

Hawkmoon:

--- Quote from: Nick1911 on August 12, 2020, 11:34:41 PM ---Brad said it well.  That is a good answer to the fairly generic question posed.

Is there a specific car you'd like to know more about Hawkmoon; or is this more of a general knowledge kind of thing?

--- End quote ---

I'm looking for a general sense of where the auto industry is vis-a-vis security systems.

I learned something completely unexpected today: Volkswagen uses OnStar, and has been doing so since around 2003. I had no idea that GM had licensed OnStar outside of their own corporate empire.

Boomhauer:
We put telematics on just about every piece of construction equipment these days. It’s installed from the factory in most cases but we also have kits we can add our version to other brands or retrofit older equipment. Tracks location, hours, usage (I.e. working or idling and profiles of such) and fault codes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version