Author Topic: COVID19 predictions  (Read 43427 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: COVID19 predictions
« Reply #325 on: May 05, 2020, 03:58:24 PM »
I still at least 2 million people in the US are going to die from Covid-19 or Covid-19 related illnesses because enough people aren't STF home and feel the need to mingle in larger groups.

I'm still sticking with this, and were going to have at least 3 waves of it. Mostly because most people can't economically sit this out for much longer, including myself. I may be in the 2 million dead, already have a weak heart from congenital heart disease.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #326 on: May 05, 2020, 05:47:47 PM »
Why do you think the 2nd and 3rd waves will be 10 times worse than the current one?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #327 on: May 05, 2020, 05:54:42 PM »
Why do you think the 2nd and 3rd waves will be 10 times worse than the current one?

... because more people wouldn't take it as serious because they don't personally know anyone with symptoms or died from it. Crazy number of people who still call it a hoax. This wave isn't over with yet either, at least not where I live, peak keeps getting pushed down the road.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #328 on: May 05, 2020, 05:54:58 PM »
I'm still sticking with this, and were going to have at least 3 waves of it. Mostly because most people can't economically sit this out for much longer, including myself. I may be in the 2 million dead, already have a weak heart from congenital heart disease.

Why would you think that?  SARS and MERS are in the same family of viruses, and they made only one pass.  The computer models predicting their effects on this country were also wildly out of whack, just like they have been with COVID-19.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #329 on: May 05, 2020, 06:00:58 PM »
Why would you think that?  SARS and MERS are in the same family of viruses, and they made only one pass.  The computer models predicting their effects on this country were also wildly out of whack, just like they have been with COVID-19.

SARS didn't spread this fast and it was controlled pretty fast globally. MERS was pretty much contained to the middle east and controlled there, IIRC.

This one has been a fustercluck from the start, no where near the control of SARS spread. 

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #330 on: May 05, 2020, 08:26:20 PM »
Crazy number of people who still call it a hoax.

Do you have any cites on that? The only poll I've seen is from mid-March. It was 13%.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #331 on: May 05, 2020, 09:00:05 PM »
Do you have any cites on that? The only poll I've seen is from mid-March. It was 13%.

Personal observation on Facebook postings. 13% would even result in a lot of deaths if you look at the US population and 2-3% of them died.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #332 on: May 05, 2020, 09:55:22 PM »
Personal observation on Facebook postings. 13% would even result in a lot of deaths if you look at the US population and 2-3% of them died.

Are the hoaxers sneaking into Covid wards and licking the patients?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #333 on: May 05, 2020, 10:13:14 PM »
But we are not anywhere near 2-3%.  We still are not quite sure just how many people were actually exposed.  I think we need to be careful making assumptions about that.  It leads politicians to make hasty decisions and abuse emergency powers. 

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #334 on: May 05, 2020, 10:35:11 PM »

Are the hoaxers sneaking into Covid wards and licking the patients?

More like all the infected in the packing plants shopping at Mao-Mart or xyz grocery store, touching things, then hoaxers shop their too, touch the same surfaces and their own mucus membranes, then catch the Covid, then a % of them die.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #335 on: May 05, 2020, 10:38:12 PM »
But we are not anywhere near 2-3%.  We still are not quite sure just how many people were actually exposed.  I think we need to be careful making assumptions about that.  It leads politicians to make hasty decisions and abuse emergency powers. 

We're between 2 and 3% fatality of known infected as of today in my state.

Uranus is a gas giant.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #336 on: May 05, 2020, 10:45:55 PM »

Easy way to keep the confirmed cases down and CFR up is to not test very many. IA has only tested 60K so far. Same problem here in WI.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #337 on: May 05, 2020, 10:53:36 PM »

Known infected....there's the rub. Recently a gentleman dropped his motorcycle on himself and broke a rib or four and had to be admitted. He tested positive for COVID 19, absolutely asymptomatic. He would have never been tested if not for the motorcycle accident. Just how many people like him or out there we will never know but I believe it is not an insignificant number. BTW, he was older than me so he is no spring chicken.

bob

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #338 on: May 05, 2020, 11:22:54 PM »
More like all the infected in the packing plants shopping at Mao-Mart or xyz grocery store, touching things, then hoaxers shop their too, touch the same surfaces and their own mucus membranes, then catch the Covid, then a % of them die.

I guess that would be realistic, if non-hoaxers were really that much more cautious than hoaxers. I'm not so sure.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #339 on: May 05, 2020, 11:36:51 PM »
I think it's a hoax (the disease is real, but we are being lied to about it on all fronts)  *and* I am being very cautious in case it's not.  I'm also getting pissed about all the lies.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #340 on: May 05, 2020, 11:39:20 PM »
I guess that would be realistic, if non-hoaxers were really that much more cautious than hoaxers. I'm not so sure.

Well I use paper towels on bathroom doors and have hand sanitizer in my rides, never did that before mid march, ever, even in really sketchy places.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #341 on: May 05, 2020, 11:42:07 PM »
Easy way to keep the confirmed cases down and CFR up is to not test very many. IA has only tested 60K so far. Same problem here in WI.

Our problem is running the tests, only have so much daily capacity at the hygenic lab

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #342 on: May 06, 2020, 07:46:37 AM »
According to bullshit numbers as has been pointed out repeatedly.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 08:14:20 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #343 on: May 06, 2020, 07:50:23 AM »
Our problem is running the tests, only have so much daily capacity at the hygenic lab
Yes, that's the problem everywhere.  The US has run under 8 million tests (almost twice as many as Russia - the next closest, country for which I've seen test counts) - and many people who get tested are tested multiple times.  Regardless, at best under 3% of the US population have undergone testing.

Which, as you know, proves MechAg94's point.  If you don't know the denominator, you don't know the rate.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #344 on: May 06, 2020, 08:33:50 AM »
Briggs, a statistician and blogger I read regularly, turned up on a local radio show I turn on during my morning commute.

The whole segment is good but Briggs starts at the six minute mark.

Myself, I've been balancing Briggs with Taleb to help me navigate the current landscape regarding the numbers.

As time goes by Briggs has been pretty much in alignment with reality,it's not as bad as the hype. Taleb deals with robustness to Black Swan events and was in favor of the extreme overreaction. Taleb also is part of a hedge fund that made billions recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=124&v=OpWHhZszhbs&feature=emb_logo

https://wmbriggs.com/
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #345 on: May 06, 2020, 09:59:03 AM »
If you know that is a problem, then you know that the total "known cases" are a flawed number.  Why do you keep using statistics using that number? 

IMO, overestimating the problem is just as bad as underestimating the problem.  If you want to make sure there is a second or third wave, keep overestimating the death rates.  You will just make people distrustful to the point they won't believe anything about this disease. 

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #346 on: May 06, 2020, 12:41:55 PM »

For comparison:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2031325/One-seven-believe-American-Government-staged-9-11-attacks-conspiracy.html

A survey, which interviewed 1,000 people in the UK and the same number in the U.S., found that 14 per cent of Britons 15 per cent of Americans think the [Bush] administration was involved in the tragedy.

According to these links, 29% of us believe "they" are withholding a cure for Covid-19, and the same percentage believe in Bigfoot. Wonder if it's the same people?

https://www.salina.com/zz/news/20200424/nearly-one-third-of-americans-believe-coronavirus-vaccine-exists-and-is-being-withheld-survey-finds

https://www.salina.com/zz/news/20200424/nearly-one-third-of-americans-believe-coronavirus-vaccine-exists-and-is-being-withheld-survey-finds
Nearly one-third of Americans believe a vaccine already exists to prevent coronavirus infection but is being withheld from the public, while nearly half believe the COVID-19 virus was created in a lab.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #347 on: May 06, 2020, 12:54:09 PM »
If you know that is a problem, then you know that the total "known cases" are a flawed number.  Why do you keep using statistics using that number?  

IMO, overestimating the problem is just as bad as underestimating the problem.  If you want to make sure there is a second or third wave, keep overestimating the death rates.  You will just make people distrustful to the point they won't believe anything about this disease.  

Still a representative sample of those infected, most stats work that way, it's not possible to sample an entire population.

To me the packing plants and other places that have low paid employees working side by side as essential employees is similar to the liberty boats in the 1918-1920 Spanish Flu Pandemic and it came in multiple waves.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #348 on: May 06, 2020, 12:59:41 PM »
Yes, that's the problem everywhere.  The US has run under 8 million tests (almost twice as many as Russia - the next closest, country for which I've seen test counts) - and many people who get tested are tested multiple times.  Regardless, at best under 3% of the US population have undergone testing.

Which, as you know, proves MechAg94's point.  If you don't know the denominator, you don't know the rate.

Do you ever know the true denominator on such a large population?

Uranus is a gas giant.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #349 on: May 06, 2020, 01:03:49 PM »
Do you ever know the true denominator on such a large population?
Not without random-sample antibody testing, no.  Which we are not yet doing in significant enough numbers.  They typically retrospectively estimate it after the fact, but not in the moment.

Still a representative sample of those infected
No, it is is not.

They are not testing a random sample of people.  If they were that would be different.  They are testing people with sufficiently serious symptoms to warrant it, and people with exposure to people with serious symptoms.  Even then those tests are being rationed.