Author Topic: COVID19 predictions  (Read 43415 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: COVID19 predictions
« Reply #350 on: May 06, 2020, 01:09:52 PM »
Not without random-sample antibody testing, no.  Which we are not yet doing in significant enough numbers.  They typically retrospectively estimate it after the fact, but not in the moment.
No, it is is not.

So you're modeling without antibody tests?

They are not testing a random sample of people.  If they were that would be different.  They are testing people with sufficiently serious symptoms to warrant it, and people with exposure to people with serious symptoms.  Even then those tests are being rationed.

They are in Iowa at the packing plants, they are testing everyone in the plant, symptoms or not.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #351 on: May 06, 2020, 01:46:36 PM »
So you're modeling without antibody tests?
Sorry, which of my models are you referring to?

I've seen some results of early antibody testing.  Sweden is doing quite a few and I think we had results from an early test in New York posted here.  Those (severely underpowered as of now) tests implied a massively higher infection rate than other tests show.  According to those antibody tests I think Stockholm was nearing 30% historical infection last week and they were thinking that they'd have herd immunity for that city relatively soon.  Still, I think it is too early to use such early results for anything important.
They are in Iowa at the packing plants, they are testing everyone in the plant, symptoms or not.
Cool.  So what are the results of that random sample testing compared to the death rates within that cohort?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #352 on: May 06, 2020, 02:02:52 PM »
According to these links, 29% of us believe "they" are withholding a cure for Covid-19, and the same percentage believe in Bigfoot. Wonder if it's the same people?

So you're saying Bigfoot has the cure. Interesting.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #353 on: May 06, 2020, 02:28:05 PM »
Sorry, which of my models are you referring to?

I've seen some results of early antibody testing.  Sweden is doing quite a few and I think we had results from an early test in New York posted here.  Those (severely underpowered as of now) tests implied a massively higher infection rate than other tests show.  According to those antibody tests I think Stockholm was nearing 30% historical infection last week and they were thinking that they'd have herd immunity for that city relatively soon.  Still, I think it is too early to use such early results for anything important.
I was making a joke that you were modeling.

Cool.  So what are the results of that random sample testing compared to the death rates within that cohort?

First round of wide scale testing started on April 20 IIRC correctly, 250 National Guard Solders were sent to packing plants in Iowa that had at least a 10% absentee of employees from illness. Most of these plants were shut down and now are opening back up with limited production.

Numbers were released recently (yesterday) from the testing results. News has said that all employees in these plants have been tested. Iowa hasn't peaked yet either. Iowa isn't releasing death numbers from these plants but they will for the counties the plants are located in with some age/sex demographics.

Perry, IA pork kill 58% of employees tested were positive (730 workers positive)
Waterloo, IA pork kill 17% of employees tested (444 workers positive)
Columbus Junction, IA pork kill 26% of employees tested (221 workers positive)
Tama, IA Beef kill 39% of employees tested (258 workers positive)

Perry isn't far from Des Moines, so those workers are probably shopping in Iowa's largest metro area.
Waterloo, IA is in a group of towns of a couple hundred thousand people.

Other two towns are somewhat rural, but people still travel to bigger cities for wal-mart and such.

Also a wind blade turbine plant in Newton, IA is our latest outbreak in Iowa, those job pay a lot more than packing plants. 17% of employees tested (131 workers positive)

Road construction and roofing jobs will be starting up soon, so some of the workers at the packing plants will be going to those jobs, spreading disease to other groups of people.

Uranus is a gas giant.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #354 on: May 06, 2020, 03:01:35 PM »
Road construction and roofing jobs will be starting up soon, so some of the workers at the packing plants will be going to those jobs, spreading disease to other groups of people.

Good. Let's get some healthy, strong people working outdoors in the sun to be exposed to this virus. Seems a very low cost (in terms of lives lost) way to move towards herd immunity.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #355 on: May 06, 2020, 03:04:36 PM »
Road construction never stopped around here.

My buddy is on a high-rise construction project in downtown Chicago. He is working more hours as the project is getting done faster.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #356 on: May 06, 2020, 03:09:37 PM »
I was making a joke that you were modeling.

First round of wide scale testing started on April 20 IIRC correctly, 250 National Guard Solders were sent to packing plants in Iowa that had at least a 10% absentee of employees from illness. Most of these plants were shut down and now are opening back up with limited production.

Numbers were released recently (yesterday) from the testing results. News has said that all employees in these plants have been tested. Iowa hasn't peaked yet either. Iowa isn't releasing death numbers from these plants but they will for the counties the plants are located in with some age/sex demographics.

Perry, IA pork kill 58% of employees tested were positive (730 workers positive)
Waterloo, IA pork kill 17% of employees tested (444 workers positive)
Columbus Junction, IA pork kill 26% of employees tested (221 workers positive)
Tama, IA Beef kill 39% of employees tested (258 workers positive)

Perry isn't far from Des Moines, so those workers are probably shopping in Iowa's largest metro area.
Waterloo, IA is in a group of towns of a couple hundred thousand people.

Other two towns are somewhat rural, but people still travel to bigger cities for wal-mart and such.

Also a wind blade turbine plant in Newton, IA is our latest outbreak in Iowa, those job pay a lot more than packing plants. 17% of employees tested (131 workers positive)

It would be interesting to see the demographics of those infected.

Sorry if I missed it, any fatalities unofficially reported? Once again demographics as well as comorbitities are as important as reported numbers to get an accurate view.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #357 on: May 06, 2020, 03:14:24 PM »
Good. Let's get some healthy, strong people working outdoors in the sun to be exposed to this virus. Seems a very low cost (in terms of lives lost) way to move towards herd immunity.

More like spread the infection to other communities and pick up the infection from other communities, they got to eat and sleep somewhere. Not like every town has a asphalt paving crew that services a small area. Sun doesn't shine inside your body or the portable toilets.

Uranus is a gas giant.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #358 on: May 06, 2020, 03:18:11 PM »
Incidentally, THIS is what we should have done:

From the quote, he said they were willing to take a risk and NOT shut down the entire economy.

That's a far cry from, "Let's kill off Grandma!" It's a measured risk that can be rationally disagreed about. Those elderly can much more easily, with much smaller disruptions, self-quarantine. Few of them have jobs and have to go out.

If they're really concerned, the state/city/county/neighbors/etc... can provide delivery services to the at risk population and allow them to self-quarantine more easily.

Back then we were expecting a two week shutdown, so shutting everything down seemed acceptable. Hard, but acceptable.

We're coming up on TWO MONTHS now. The vulnerable should have locked themselves away (with support from neighbors/friends/family/government to provide food/rent/etc... at a MUCH lower cost than our current spending) and most people should have gone to work as normal with extra care about not touching faces and possibly wearing masks. (Which, at that time we were told "WON'T WORK ANYWAY!")

Hindsight is 20/20, but no one is apparently even applying it to today. They are all acting like we have no idea what this virus will do when it is daily proving that it is not the plague that it was predicted to be.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #359 on: May 06, 2020, 03:19:05 PM »
It would be interesting to see the demographics of those infected.

Sorry if I missed it, any fatalities unofficially reported? Once again demographics as well as comorbitities are as important as reported numbers to get an accurate view.

Iowa does have a running Covid-19 death count that is updated every morning, so it is at least 24 hours old and it is only what is reported by health care workers to public health, could have a lot of deaths that were Covid, but unknown because they didn't test the person, like pneumonia caused by Covid-19, etc. Just like people don't die from AIDS/HIV is something else they die from because their immune system was compromised by HIV/AIDS, hence death from complications due to HIV/AIDS. They don't break it down to exact age or preexisting conditions, just age ranges, sex and county of death. When this is all over with, you know there is going to be a gazillion medical journal articles on this, this pandemic is only a couple months old.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #360 on: May 06, 2020, 03:25:50 PM »
I thought we were all supposed to be dead by now... ???
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #361 on: May 06, 2020, 03:29:46 PM »
I thought we were all supposed to be dead by now... ???

No just 2-3% of those who got infected.

Uranus is a gas giant.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #362 on: May 06, 2020, 03:44:06 PM »
So for this group we've got infection numbers but not death numbers.  We know the denominator but not the numerator.  No better.

The point stands.  At the moment (and hopefully this will change) the death rates aren't based on good info.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #363 on: May 06, 2020, 03:46:08 PM »
As long as the subject of Covid hoaxers was raised, what does that even mean that people think it's a hoax? Unless people are actually suggesting the disease not exist, and the victims are all crisis actors, the "hoax" talk is just smearing people for being "deniers." Which there's been way too much of the past decade, thank you very much.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #364 on: May 06, 2020, 03:50:34 PM »
No just 2-3% of those who got infected.

What? Unless you believe the number of cases we have confirmed represents half of the actual cases (when we have strong evidence that a LOT of asymptomatic people have or have had the virus), there's no way you can think the death rate is 2-3%

That's worse than the Spanish Flu.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #365 on: May 06, 2020, 03:52:13 PM »
What? Unless you believe the number of cases we have confirmed represents half of the actual cases (when we have strong evidence that a LOT of asymptomatic people have or have had the virus), there's no way you can think the death rate is 2-3%

I repeated what was said when this pandemic first started.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #367 on: May 06, 2020, 03:54:36 PM »
So for this group we've got infection numbers but not death numbers.  We know the denominator but not the numerator.  No better.

The point stands.  At the moment (and hopefully this will change) the death rates aren't based on good info.

The death numbers will come out, it's only been a couple weeks since the packing plant outbreaks, not like people are dying a few days or week after becoming infected.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #368 on: May 06, 2020, 03:56:41 PM »

Estimated that 500 million people were infected with Spanish Flu, estimated that 50 million people dies from it, that is 10% of the infected that died.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-pandemic-h1n1.html

Uranus is a gas giant.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #369 on: May 06, 2020, 04:00:07 PM »
Estimated that 500 million people were infected with Spanish Flu, estimated that 50 million people dies from it, that is 10% of the infected that died.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-pandemic-h1n1.html

I had read that it was 2.5%. Looking for the numbers, it seems there is a wide range from 2% to 20% estimated.

Good to know we've got no idea about the flu's death rate, either.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #370 on: May 06, 2020, 04:03:15 PM »
I had read that it was 2.5%. Looking for the numbers, it seems there is a wide range from 2% to 20% estimated.

Didn't have Facebook epidemiologists/lawyers/doctors/coaches/historians back in 1918 either.  :rofl:

Uranus is a gas giant.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #371 on: May 06, 2020, 04:12:14 PM »
That's not just the numbers from long ago either. The deaths for recent years, that are so commonly used as comparison for Covid19, are "fake statistics" too.
The 25,000 to 69,000 numbers that Trump cited do not represent counted flu deaths per year; they are estimates that the CDC produces by multiplying the number of flu death counts reported by various coefficients produced through complicated algorithms. These coefficients are based on assumptions of how many cases, hospitalizations, and deaths they believe went unreported. In the last six flu seasons, the CDC’s reported number of actual confirmed flu deaths—that is, counting flu deaths the way we are currently counting deaths from the coronavirus—has ranged from 3,448 to 15,620, which far lower than the numbers commonly repeated by public officials and even public health experts.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #372 on: May 06, 2020, 04:18:57 PM »
The death numbers will come out, it's only been a couple weeks since the packing plant outbreaks, not like people are dying a few days or week after becoming infected.
Yes, I agree that at some point in the future we will have numbers that will be useful.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #373 on: May 06, 2020, 04:24:55 PM »
A read if anyone cares too

https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/01/three-potential-futures-for-covid-19/

Also another link for Ron to yell Bullshit! at too.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #374 on: May 06, 2020, 05:07:14 PM »
A read if anyone cares too

https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/01/three-potential-futures-for-covid-19/

Also another link for Ron to yell Bullshit! at too.

The article is far less dogmatic than you or the fearmongers.

They actually give three divergent scenerios admitting they don't know.