Author Topic: Corrugated PVC roof panels  (Read 4493 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Corrugated PVC roof panels
« on: June 14, 2016, 10:38:31 AM »
Anyone ever install these?

Mom's back porch has the old corrugated fiberglass panels on the roof, and they're shot. My Grandfather put them on in the late 1950s/early 1960s. There are a number of leaks, and ice came off the roof last year and punch a big hole in one panel.

It looks to be a pretty straightforward job. the biggest pains will be getting the flashing correct.

I thought about shingling the roof, but I'd have to put up plywood or strandboard to have a nailing surface, and it would look like hell underneath, all the nails and the like.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
Re: Corrugated PVC roof panels
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 02:04:47 PM »
Pretty easy.

Just get the correct self sealing fasteners for the panels you use.  I run them in with a cordless impact.

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 02:48:17 PM »
 I just wonder how they will hold up to UV light.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 03:27:50 PM »
The PVC ones I'm looking at at Lowes say they're designed for direct sun contact for the long-term.

Realistically, it's my Mom's house. She's 81. It's going to be someone else's problem.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 03:29:57 PM »

Just get the correct self sealing fasteners for the panels you use. 

Yeah, that's key. I've only ever used the metal sheets for outbuildings, but fasteners with the good sealing washers are a must. They're usually right next to the panels at most of the big box stores.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 03:34:01 PM »
What, you mean I can't use the roughly 500 tons of railroad spikes I've found in and around the house?

Holy crap, they're always getting you with extras and add ons!

Bastages!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 03:38:40 PM »
What, you mean I can't use the roughly 500 tons of railroad spikes I've found in and around the house?

Holy crap, they're always getting you with extras and add ons!

Bastages!

KD5, what are you doing on Irwin's account?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 03:44:16 PM »
I just wonder how they will hold up to UV light.

These are the ones I'm looking at. http://www.lowes.com/pd/Tuftex-SeaCoaster-2-17-ft-x-8-ft-Corrugated-PVC-Roof-Panel/3010592

I don't think they make the old fiberglass panels of the kind that are currently on there.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Corrugated PVC roof panels
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 04:48:28 PM »
KD5, what are you doing on Irwin's account?
Obviously it is mi being snarky. 

Were it kd5 he would have suggested reforging those railroad spikes into ringshank nails with an extra wide nailhead using a forge cobbled together from an old mocrowave oven and a pool noodle.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 05:07:21 PM »

Were it kd5 he would have suggested reforging those railroad spikes into ringshank nails with an extra wide nailhead using a forge cobbled together from an old mocrowave oven and a pool noodle.

Yeah, I knew Mike was being snarky. I just had to get in on the fun.  =D

But you're right, railroad spikes alone aren't enough. Besides what you mentioned, there should also be some welding involved somewhere.  :laugh:

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 01:27:12 PM »

Ayep. When every sane person knows to use a gas forge.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 02:41:46 PM »
But you're right, railroad spikes alone aren't enough. Besides what you mentioned, there should also be some welding involved somewhere.  :laugh:

Using detcord.  Explosive welding is the best.

That's how you make sure everything is waterproof...  Weld all seams.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 02:47:19 PM »
Weld up some used car hoods and you've got it done.  Make sure to use your home made shovel as a pry bar to lift the cars up and put you homemade jack stands underneath.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2016, 02:54:11 PM »
Homemade jackstands?

Unlike you, Mom's house has class.

:rofl:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 08:37:51 AM »
Had a bit of a epiphany. I wasn't looking forward to trying to do this off ladders...

Scaffolding.

I can rent, pretty damned cheaply, enough scaffolding to make getting up to the roof a breeze.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 09:22:29 AM »
The more I look at it, though, the more I think I'm going to shingle the roof. I can do shingles for almost the same price, and it will ultimately be a more durable roof.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 09:25:56 AM »
Holy hell. if I use oriented strand board instead of plywood, it's a lot cheaper than the PVC roof panels...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 12:18:10 PM »
Holy hell. if I use oriented strand board instead of plywood, it's a lot cheaper than the PVC roof panels...

Oriental strand board? Yeah, that Chinese import stuff is always cheaper.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 12:32:27 PM »

Oriental strand board? Yeah, that Chinese import stuff is always cheaper.

Georgia Pacific Blue Ribbon.

AFIK made in the US.

Not imported.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 01:11:43 PM »
Was joke. Oriental, instead of oriented.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2016, 01:29:36 PM »
Was joke. Oriental, instead of oriented.

Ah, missed that. Well played.

I knew that there were concerns about Chinese sheetrock not that long ago, so figured that they were also importing OSB.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2016, 02:22:47 PM »

I would advise strongly against using OSB for a roof (or exterior walls). I know it's done by crappy contractors, but that stuff just isn't durable.

I know know you don't need this to last forever, but I have seen OSB roofs on sheds become too loose to hold the nails in 5-6 years, just with FL's humidity.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2016, 02:54:04 PM »
I would advise strongly against using OSB for a roof (or exterior walls). I know it's done by crappy contractors, but that stuff just isn't durable.

I know know you don't need this to last forever, but I have seen OSB roofs on sheds become too loose to hold the nails in 5-6 years, just with FL's humidity.

Mom's 81 year, and not in the greatest health. Somehow (and I hate to say it) one way or another I don't think that's going to be a problem.