Author Topic: Power tools and portable generators  (Read 741 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Power tools and portable generators
« on: March 26, 2018, 09:53:29 PM »
While my yacht is "on the hard" undergoing a major refit I'm considering the purchase of a portable generator to run various power tools. I'd also use it to power the 30 amp shore power feed. Even though rated for 30 amps I have no loads that heavy on board.
Mostly I'd be running various grinders, sanders and polishers, one at a time. The heaviest load would be in the 10-12 amp range.
My math tells me I should be good with something in the 2000-2500 watt range.
This one possible example but not something I've decided on yet
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200664805_200664805

Somewhere from the back of my addled brain I have heard concerns about using portable generators running power tools.
Could be old, outdated info or could be total BS I picked up in the back room of a sleazy bar somewhere.

What says the hive mind?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Triphammer

• friend
Re: Power tools and portable generators
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 10:28:55 PM »
Brush motor power tools & portable generators are made for each other. Problem arises when you start a high draw high RPM tool like a skill saw you need to have enough peak to start it. A 3k 115 only would work fine. A gen with a 220 volt oulet will want to be 5k at least to run  a big skill saw or floor sander.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 11:00:58 PM »
Agreed.  Handheld power tools have universal motors, which are very unconcerned with noisy or incorrect frequency power.

Induction motors however, tend to be more picky.  These are the motors you'll find on freestanding tablesaws, drill presses, etc.

FWIW, "sensitive electronics" also tend to be very forgiving.  Most all are powered by switched mode power supplies, which immediately rectify incoming power to DC.  They could give a rats behind about frequency, noise, or even voltage, so long as it's within range.  (Most will run fine down to 85ish volts A/C, although UL requires them to label the minimum as 100)

Your math looks good on sizing.  Do remember that cheapy generators don't have much overhead for inrush current.  But, again, that's a problem in the realm of induction motors mostly.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 11:20:32 PM »
Is your 30-amp shore power connection 240-volt or 120-volt?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 11:28:33 PM »
While my yacht is "on the hard" undergoing a major refit

Is that kind of like going into the yards for a SLEP refit? ;)

bob

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 11:47:36 PM »
I'd get one a little bigger than that. Depending on the tools you are using, startup surge can trip the breaker. I've got a 3300w that runs everything with no problem, including my Hobart 135 welder, but my dads 2000w takes a couple tries to get a circular saw running.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4000-max-starting3200-running-watts-65-hp-212cc-generator-epa-iii-with-gfci-outlet-protection-63080.html
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 12:06:21 AM »
I got a three phase gen going up for sail (haha) soon if you need a little bigger power tools for the refit.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 12:26:03 AM »
Is your 30-amp shore power connection 240-volt or 120-volt?

It's 120vac, about all I'd use it for would be to top off the batteries. I've got a 15 amp adapter plug to plug into the boat side of the cable.

Harbor Fright tools always give me a little pause for things much more complicated than a hammer though this does have decent reviews and fits the budget.
https://www.harborfreight.com/4000-max-starting3200-running-watts-65-hp-212cc-generator-epa-iii-with-gfci-outlet-protection-63080.html
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 01:12:52 AM »
Is that kind of like going into the yards for a SLEP refit? ;)

bob

More or less. Just like a Navy refit,I can't get the *expletive deleted*ing yard to do the *expletive deleted*it they are supposed to do.
 ;/

Samuel Adams

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 01:20:40 AM »
More or less. Just like a Navy refit,I can't get the *expletive deleted*ing yard to do the *expletive deleted*it they are supposed to do.
 ;/

I always got extra stuff done by the yardbirds, it was amazing what a 20 pound can of coffee would get people to do. I had a 300 pair PBX cable I had to run from the hanger deck to all over the 3rd deck for the airwing because my original got burned in half during a fire while sitting at the pier right before deployment. Two cans of coffee and it was a done deal. We had an authorized coffee mess for a 8 man shop and we were given 20 pounds of coffee a week. We had lots of spare.  :)

bob

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 04:04:04 AM »
FWIW, "sensitive electronics" also tend to be very forgiving.  Most all are powered by switched mode power supplies, which immediately rectify incoming power to DC.  They could give a rats behind about frequency, noise, or even voltage, so long as it's within range.  (Most will run fine down to 85ish volts A/C, although UL requires them to label the minimum as 100)

Things with motors in them tend to be more sensitive than computers these days, yes.

Hell, I've read that there is a 'fair' percentage of switchmode computer power supplies that will work with DC, though caveats apply - like you might want to derate the system by 50% or so, because the rectifier might be designed to only take 50% load per leg, and DC will, of course, only use 1 leg.

After that, it can work at even lower voltages.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 07:41:05 AM »
If you want a small, quiet generator, the Honda portables can’t be beat. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?