Author Topic: Picture formats/organizing/notes?  (Read 457 times)

freakazoid

• friend
Picture formats/organizing/notes?
« on: April 26, 2018, 06:47:27 AM »
Since I've been taking a lot of pictures I've got to wondering what the best way to label the information about them is. Only way I know how is to either give it an incredibly long name or to create a text file or spreadsheet giving all the information about them. I'm wondering if there is a format that will actually store that information in it that you can enter. I have a music player program called MediaMonkey, that allows me to embed a bunch of information; track info, artist, CD, disk#, various album arts like front back etc, extra info, genre, etc. I'm wondering if there is anything like that for pictures or if a specific picture format would be needed. That way when I view the picture I can see other information that i feel is important.

PS, I highly recommend MediaMonkey if you have a large music collection. I love it enough that I actually paid for it. You can even have it auto tag with information from the web. I installed a plug-in for it that pulls information from a website that I love called Discogs that has user entered info on music where you can also buy music.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

zahc

• friend
Re: Picture formats/organizing/notes?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 07:11:24 AM »
Picasa used to be good but I think Google killed it.

Honestly there are tons of such programs out there that create their own database in the background. I have forgot them all. I use whatever is the default for my Linux distribution. The problem is there is no standard for the database format so in 20 years you will be back to your raw images. I don't know if this is a solved problem in that sense. Archival and retrieval of digital media is kind of a big problem still.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 09:34:35 AM »
Best I've ound for editing, storing and indexing is Adobe Lightroom. 99% of any editing I do is done in Lightroom.
Very flexible in how you archive your work.
I also only shoot RAW format. Any editing done in Lightroom is nondestructive to the original file. Edits are save as an overlay and stored with the original image file. Output from Lightroom can be exported in about any standard format, JPEG, Bitmap, GIF...
It isn't free but works, there are several free options that are supposed to do the same thing but I have no experience with them
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 10:02:06 AM »
EXIF data can store title, subject, tags, comments, etc.  You can view and edit that data for individual files in Windows natively, but I'm sure there are EXIF database applications out there.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 04:56:30 PM »
In Winders, right-click the file, click the "Details" tab then select "Comments" and edit away. Save when done.

[attachment deleted by admin]
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!