Author Topic: Nose Hair Trimmer in the Toilet  (Read 4571 times)

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Nose Hair Trimmer in the Toilet
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 11:51:28 AM »
of course doing the job with a trapped dooty is hazard duty pay
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 12:12:55 PM »
Is there something that you could flush on a string and then pull back?  One of those cocktail umbrellas maybe.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 12:16:19 PM »
det cord on a string
it's the toilet bangalore torpedo
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 02:15:30 PM »
det cord on a string
it's the toilet bangalore torpedo

That's youtube-worthy !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2011, 03:11:13 PM »
My problem is that I've got some rather old rusty and fragile soil-pipe flanges. Whenever I'm contemplating lifting the toilet for repair, or just a flooring job, I have to consider it may be the last time the T-bolts will grab on there without breaking it.

Then you're looking at breaking off cast iron pipe which is either in the basement joists beneath the sub-floor in the case of the first floor bathroom, or actually in the floor and the main wet-wall of the house on the second.  :-X

Last time I did the upstairs toilet 9 years ago, it was floating 2" ABOVE THE FLANGE because there were FIVE LAYERS of old flooring that had been put down in there and the previous owners had simply tried to seat it on double rings. I still have no idea where they found T-bolts that long.

I already put one of those "flange saver" thin shim rings on there to give the T-bolts something to grab onto and it barely worked. If it gets moved again, I'm likely doing some cast-iron work.  :P
I promise not to duck.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2011, 03:35:41 PM »
My problem is that I've got some rather old rusty and fragile soil-pipe flanges. Whenever I'm contemplating lifting the toilet for repair, or just a flooring job, I have to consider it may be the last time the T-bolts will grab on there without breaking it.

Then you're looking at breaking off cast iron pipe which is either in the basement joists beneath the sub-floor in the case of the first floor bathroom, or actually in the floor and the main wet-wall of the house on the second.  :-X

Last time I did the upstairs toilet 9 years ago, it was floating 2" ABOVE THE FLANGE because there were FIVE LAYERS of old flooring that had been put down in there and the previous owners had simply tried to seat it on double rings. I still have no idea where they found T-bolts that long.

I already put one of those "flange saver" thin shim rings on there to give the T-bolts something to grab onto and it barely worked. If it gets moved again, I'm likely doing some cast-iron work.  :P

This is actually a LOT easier than you think.

The flange actually sits around the outside of the pipe, and the oakum and lead is poured from above.  If you scrape away the wax ring and crud, you will see that the lead ring is completely exposed at the top.  A few minutes with a 3/16 drill bit and you can get most of it out.  at that point a sharp crack with the hammer will separate the flange from the pipe and you can either lift it out or break the flange.  You now have a clean pipe end coming out of the floor.  If the pipe is protruding, cut it back to flush or slightly below.

Then you go to Home Depot and snag one of these:

It pushes down inside 4" cast pipe and makes an excellent but flexible seal.  Rotate it to where you want it and affix to the floor with ( 8 ) #12x1" stainless screws.  I did this in my own bathroom and it made a very sturdy toilet mount and was so easy that I was kind of embarrassed afterward that I had originally tried to save the old flange with some of those half-rings and other nonsense.  Don't be scared of this, it's easy.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2011, 08:24:08 PM »
A winner is me.  I got it.

Yeah, I let it sit in there a while.  Wife and I had a scheduled vacation and then she had us spend last night putting together a toy kitchenette for our daughter that had arrived.  Not a big deal, we've got other bathrooms.

Tried to shop vac the thing out. Nope.  Gave up, took the whole toilet off, laid it on its side, shoved my super industrial snake up its backside and gave it a go.  After pushing the entire toilet two feet across the floor trying to clear the blockage it bumped up against the wall, which was nice.  No more chasing the toilet.

Couldn't get enough force behind it to clear it out.  So, took the tank off, hauled it outside onto the deck, flipped it upside down, shoved my apparatus up there and went beast on it.  My daughter (20 mos. old) cried a bit seeing daddy grunting and bouncing a toilet around the deck. 

But, I got the bugger out, put the toilet back in place, and cleaned the whole mess up.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2011, 08:45:41 PM »
hauled it outside onto the deck, flipped it upside down, shoved my apparatus up there and went beast on it.  My daughter (20 mos. old) cried a bit seeing daddy grunting and bouncing

I'd probably cry too if I had to see that.   [barf]

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2011, 09:07:44 PM »
another master plumber!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2011, 09:13:01 PM »
another master plumber!

Only if he had more the 2.5" of butt crack showing.   :lol:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.