Author Topic: Mask observation  (Read 5213 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Re: Mask observation
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2021, 09:50:37 AM »
Mostly when I walk past the computer...

But my VERY DAMN WOKE neighborhood also has a veritable bleepload of "covid awareness" stuff going on. It isn't stupid require a face panty to walk 10' from the door to a barstool... It is showing that you care about others.

I don't.
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2021, 10:08:35 AM »
Debating masks' merits is all well and good, but people seem to have overlooked the question of whether it's really reasonable to demand that the general public wear them on a regular basis.

There are plenty of public health measures we could demand of people, which would save lives. We could ban booze again. We could make flu vaccines mandatory. We could force everyone to have regular health and welfare screenings, and ban trans-fats, and strictly regulate fast food portion sizes.

But none of those things are the constant bugbear of the media, so we have to actually debate them, and vote to approve such measures. With covid, it's just one, never-ending emergency.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2021, 10:11:52 AM »
Besides, masks are the reason why almost nobody died from the flu last year...
Blog under construction

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2021, 11:14:48 AM »
Masks are so yesterday. Internment camps are the new craze.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2021, 11:47:17 AM »
Masks are so yesterday. Internment camps are the new craze.

Or mass graves. Yes I have screenshots of leftists calling for people to be lined up and shot if they won’t take the vaccine
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2021, 02:29:58 AM »
They certainly have you thinking about masks and COVID 24/7.

That's a very good point.  (not just about Bogie in particular but skeptics in general)
"It's good, though..."

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2021, 08:00:36 AM »
When you look at a news site, and the first thoughts are... "Gee, that doesn't add up... And that doesn't either. And that's just off."

I'm still waiting for the moon-suited guys in the ambulances to walk down my street scraping the bodies off the pavement.

Only body on my block was a gangbanger.

I'm MUCH more worried about lead poisoning than about the 'Rona.
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2021, 08:18:19 AM »
Double post
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 08:42:12 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2021, 08:31:40 AM »
One of the things that I used to do at The Big Drug Company was proofreading. Proofing stuff written by PhD types for errors, including statistical stuff... You wouldn't believe how often a decimal gets moved... And when I saw the initial numbers from China, my first thought was "they're lying, and they're blowing things out of proportion." And things went downhill from there.

Mortality happens. Regardless.
Blog under construction

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2021, 08:42:43 AM »
Not critical.  Discovered these things right away when the mask stuff started.

1.  You can't blow chewing gum bubbles.  Not even the small ones you can make go crack.

2.  You can't spit into the urinal when taking a leak. I never realized I had this habit.

3. Eyeglasses fog up perversely, at the most inopportune moments.  Especially when you want to look at a lookable girl.

4.  The back of my right ear is amazingly sensitive to the mask string for some reason.  I've had to cushion that string with a scrap of tissue on occasion.  Left one's OK.

5.  I tried to think of that SF novel where filters in everyone's nostrils were required.  Not critical to the story, just an opinion of the author, I guess.  Asimov's "The Caves of Steel" in the original novel?

Just for what it's worth on a Saturday morning.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2021, 06:18:44 PM »
Bogie's in the big city, but here in the outlying area (St Louis County), the stores I've been to are no longer hectoring customers (maybe not even employees) to wear masks. At least not since the county executive's attempt to go back to a mask mandate was denied by both the county council and the courts. And that's even true in Cori Bush territory, where I live.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2021, 06:41:59 PM »
My neighborhood is gentrified urban, altho most of the residents would never call it that. 95% for Clinton.

Even most of the old farts who are still hanging on were union, and still do whatever the union tells them to do.
Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• friend

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2021, 02:49:37 PM »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2021, 03:01:40 PM »
https://thefederalist.com/2021/09/02/a-look-at-scientific-evidence-suggesting-face-masks-damage-your-health/

Masks can increase CO2 levels and lower Blood O2.  OK, Numbers would be nice to judge how much.

Masks can cause pulse and respiration to rise?  Sure, and it's definitely something to think about.  I, for one, don't jog in a mask, and don't workout indoors where they require one.  I can see where one would have to weigh their individual health against the activity they want to do that requires a mask.

Do governments, employers, and schools have the legal authority to subject Americans to the same stressor at work in waterboarding?
  You lost me.  GTFO of here with your hyperbolic bullshit.

It's bad enough that they do the now standard new thing of vague assertions with no real info and a hyperlink to their source, so you have to click through, get numbers from some other source, and apply them back to the article to get any real info, but torture?  Make a real arguement.

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2021, 09:12:22 PM »
When I see someone wearing a mask, and they are not easily identified as Woke Folk, I assume they have warrants.
Blog under construction

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2021, 09:55:16 PM »
I got Bells Palsy after having to wear a mask all day at Disney World. The sweat and splash from the water rides apparently provided the perfect breeding ground.

Now granted that’s an unusual case but it was not fun having stroke mouth for a few weeks. I’ve avoided the hell out of wearing a mask since.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2021, 10:43:33 PM »
Masks can increase CO2 levels and lower Blood O2.  OK, Numbers would be nice to judge how much.

Masks can cause pulse and respiration to rise?  Sure, and it's definitely something to think about.  I, for one, don't jog in a mask, and don't workout indoors where they require one.  I can see where one would have to weigh their individual health against the activity they want to do that requires a mask.
  You lost me.  GTFO of here with your hyperbolic bullshit.

It's bad enough that they do the now standard new thing of vague assertions with no real info and a hyperlink to their source, so you have to click through, get numbers from some other source, and apply them back to the article to get any real info, but torture?  Make a real arguement.

A little personal experience.
When I had my 3rd shoulder surgery (4th surgery for the year) last October I had to wear a mask while waiting in the pre-op ward.
Having had recent experience with the process I was familiar with the drill. They did a nerve block on the shoulder and lightly knocked me out for that procedure. Sometime after I was shaken awake by a couple of nurses and woke to find myself on O2 and no mask. The nurse told me my blood ox had dropped too low while I was napping with the mask on. They let me leave off the mask until they took me back and after my nearly 8 hour surgery they didn't make me put a mask on while I was in recovery nor when they wheeled me to the door.
I overheard the nurses talking amongst themselves while they thought I was napping before surgery and their opinions on the mask requirements were pretty well bullshit.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2021, 01:23:57 AM »
A little personal experience.
When I had my 3rd shoulder surgery (4th surgery for the year) last October I had to wear a mask while waiting in the pre-op ward.
Having had recent experience with the process I was familiar with the drill. They did a nerve block on the shoulder and lightly knocked me out for that procedure. Sometime after I was shaken awake by a couple of nurses and woke to find myself on O2 and no mask. The nurse told me my blood ox had dropped too low while I was napping with the mask on. They let me leave off the mask until they took me back and after my nearly 8 hour surgery they didn't make me put a mask on while I was in recovery nor when they wheeled me to the door.
I overheard the nurses talking amongst themselves while they thought I was napping before surgery and their opinions on the mask requirements were pretty well bullshit.

That's interesting.  I woulda thought you'd wake up in a panic when your CO2 levels got too high.
"It's good, though..."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2021, 05:37:30 AM »
When I see someone wearing a mask, and they are not easily identified as Woke Folk, I assume they have warrants.

Same same...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2021, 11:46:40 PM »
That's interesting.  I woulda thought you'd wake up in a panic when your CO2 levels got too high.

Very unlikely.  A brain deprived of oxygen simply goes to sleep - permanently !
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #96 on: September 04, 2021, 07:50:16 AM »
A "customer" yesterday walked in, wearing a mask and sunglasses and a hat. Seems like a lot of the fashion is to cover as much skin as possible.

Grabbed a half dozen cans of paint, walked straight out the door, climbed in a plateless truck, probably stolen, and drove off.

They don't let me tackle them.

Another customer shows up, dressed much the same way, proceeds to interrogate me on deep cycle batteries for about a half hour. Finally figure out that he wants to go off-grid in the City. I tell him to look up Iron Edison, and he finally goes away. He was creeping out my new boss - mostly, to me, he was just one of the crazy locals...
Blog under construction

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2021, 05:45:29 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2021, 06:20:31 PM »
Harbor Freight's 10-packs of masks are at 99 cents. I had to buy one for a doctor's appointment, and I've been supposed to be wearing one at work. I get the occasional Karen.

I suspect that there's no longer a huge demand.

Are those HF masks any good at all? How many plies are they?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2021, 06:30:51 PM »
Are those HF masks any good at all? How many plies are they?

HF's KN95 respirator masks (item 58392) seem to be pretty good.  Nice and thick, and they seal well around the edges and bridge.  They don't have an NIOSH certification, but there's a little piece of official looking paper in the package that might be an equivalent Chinese certification -- of course even if it is it could be counterfeit.  I like them and they weren't too expensive and seem durable enough to launder them.
"It's good, though..."