Author Topic: never heard of him  (Read 824 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
never heard of him
« on: June 06, 2013, 10:29:29 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: never heard of him
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 11:12:07 PM »
A conscientious objector like him I can truly respect.  God bless him.   
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 12:39:27 AM »
When I was a wee youngster my grandfather gave me a book with all (to that time) the MOH citations and personal histories of the folks who had received the citation.  All of them were for gallantry "above and beyond the call of duty" - yet I can't recall a single one who considered what they did anything special, let alone above and beyond.  That seems to hold true for those who received the MOH in the years since that book was published.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that these folk had a sense of duty that was greater than the rest of us.  Of those that lived to receive the citation and thus could comment about it, it seems their attitude was "it needed doing and I was the closest one" rather than claiming any special bravery or courage.  It's a darned high bar they set for the rest of us.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 01:45:57 AM »
Reading the citation, I'd say he earned it, and then some.
Formerly sumpnz

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 01:51:57 AM »

Dude.

That's a serious dose of humility.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 08:13:05 AM »

My thoughts exactly. The first episode they listed, I thought, "he sure earned that"... and then the citation continued.

He deserved two or three medals of honor. (I know it doesn't work like that, I'm just sufficiently amazed.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

• friends
Re: Re: never heard of him
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 09:49:35 AM »
Was watching a documentary about him. They tried to section 8 him. He had several run ins with his command. Show had footage from guys he served with as well as some of him. Worth watching

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 09:57:22 AM »

That is what I thought as well.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 10:15:59 AM »
Wow, just wow! What an incredible human being he was!
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

• friends
Re: Re: never heard of him
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 01:20:42 PM »
Yea you get the feeling at the annual banquet the other guys might let him go first. He does a good interview.  He believed he could be as good a soldier as anyone , without a gun.one of his commanders with whom he had trouble did a classy interview where he acknowledged how wrong he was

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 09:51:54 PM »
Anyone else read that,  subconsciously add the "Attention to orders",  and proceed to get chills on reading the citation?   

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 11:36:25 PM »
My thoughts exactly. The first episode they listed, I thought, "he sure earned that"... and then the citation continued.

He deserved two or three medals of honor. (I know it doesn't work like that, I'm just sufficiently amazed.)

Ayup.

He was a company aid man when the 1st Battalion assaulted a jagged escarpment 400 feet (120 m) high. As our troops gained the summit, a heavy concentration of artillery, mortar and machinegun fire crashed into them, inflicting approximately 75 casualties and driving the others back. Pfc. Doss refused to seek cover and remained in the fire-swept area with the many stricken, carrying all 75 casualties one-by-one to the edge of the escarpment and there lowering them on a rope-supported litter down the face of a cliff to friendly hands.

But wait, there's MORE!...

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton