Author Topic: Iran Goes Nuclear  (Read 2441 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Iran Goes Nuclear
« on: August 21, 2010, 10:03:26 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/iran_nuclear;_ylt=AgyM23lTVqfzvYx.sg_Xwl.s0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTNjMDRvNDVnBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwODIxL2lyYW5fbnVjbGVhcgRjY29kZQNtb3N0cG9wdWxhcgRjcG9zAzEEcG9zAzIEcHQDaG9tZV9jb2tlBHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcnkEc2xrA2lyYW5zdGFydHNudQ--

Bsically Iran, with Russian assitance is on the verge of starting up their first nuclear reactor. According to Iran it is for peaceful power generation only.
Of course Isreal doesn't like it becasue of the potential threat to them. The US and GB are pretty much going along with letting Iran go nuke.

I'm of the opinion that Iran should be allowed to operate a nuclear power station (under Russian supervision).
In the current appeasment political climate I don't think there is much that can be done to stop them.
I also think it will take a nuclear attack by Iran on another country before anything gets done and then it will likely be more UN sanctions.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
Re: Iran Goes Nuclear
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 10:08:07 PM »
I'd like to know more about the design of the plant.

If it's a design that makes it impossible to make bomb-grade materials, I'm ok with it.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 10:48:28 PM »
What the hell do they need a nuclear power plant for????? How much electrical infrastructure is there in Iran, anyway???

They're cooking weapons grade plutonium, mark my frakkin' words.
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 10:59:52 PM »
The "Russian supervision" part makes me feel oh so much better.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 11:09:43 PM »
What the hell do they need a nuclear power plant for????? How much electrical infrastructure is there in Iran, anyway???

Depends on the design of the reactor.  Certain designs are incapable of producing weapons grade stuff.  Others.. not so much.

Why do I doubt the design is one of the "safer" kinds?
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 12:57:14 AM »
Not to mention it could be the source for a extremely effective dirty bomb- plutonium is one of the most toxic substances known.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 01:03:22 AM »

I don't know that they need nuclear power, but it is a safe (environmentally/industrial speaking), reliable, clean source of power.  Cost per kWh is very low.  There is also a prestige issue as well. 

They actually have a fair amount of manufacturing base.  They annually consume 153.8 billion kWh.  That's a fairly respectable infrastructure, relatively speaking.

Re weapons grade fissionable material, I wouldn't know.  Doubt the US does either, since Richard Armitage and I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby destroyed our spy network that kept an eye on such things.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 01:45:28 AM »

As for why do they need it, Iran's budget relies heavily upon their petroleum sales to the rest of the world, the more of it they don't have to burn locally, the more money they save. Add to this their surprisingly low refining capacity (they actually import the majority of their distillate fuels, ie. gasoline) and the cost savings become even higher.

To the plutonium breeding, to the best of my knowledge breeder reactors run off un-enriched (basic Ur-238/235 ratio) Uranium fuel. With how much Iran has already spent in time and money on Uranium enrichment facilities they have obviously chosen to go the HEU route for nuclear devices, rather than Plutonium, which would require both the time and money intensive steps of first breeding it, and then running it through a similar separation and enrichment process like they do with the Uranium (HEU bombs eliminate one of those steps and are thus cheaper and quicker to make).

As it sits, the enrichment centrifuges pose a significantly higher danger, regarding the creation of a nuke, than a reactor that may possibly be a breeder design, and they already have the materials to create dirty bombs if they wished (uranium oxides). In the interest of full disclosure, HEU does have uses in nuclear power, a reactor running off 4% enriched fuel rods for example can run for about 6 months non-stop, a reactor running off 90+% fuel rods, considered weapons grade, can run for about 20 to 30 years before refueling. Guess which kind of rods the Navy uses?

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 05:15:28 AM »
This may be a good thing in the long run because people and countries that didn't pay much attention to them before will have their eyes on them now.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 08:18:18 AM »
I'm expecting that Iran will be receiving some heavy "rain" from a westerly direction soon....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 08:34:06 AM »
The problem is, Iran really does need nuclear power. Had they not been such jackwagons about the whole "ZIONIST MENACE" nonsense, people would not really have a problem with them having it. The late Pehlevi advocated nuclear power for Iran before he was overthrown.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 10:28:41 AM »
The problem is, Iran really does need nuclear power. Had they not been such jackwagons about the whole "ZIONIST MENACE" nonsense, people would not really have a problem with them having it. The late Pehlevi advocated nuclear power for Iran before he was overthrown.

Not just their threats to wipe Israel off the map.  They also are at war with America and some of us haven't forgotten the last 444 days of the Carter administration.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 03:13:47 PM »
...some of us haven't forgotten the last 444 days of the Carter administration.

Nor have the people of Iran forgotten the overthrow of the democratically elected government of Iranian Prime Minister Mohammad Mosaddegh by the CIA in 1953, an act which we can thank to ghosts of PM Churchill and President Eisenhower for.

Iran is finally fueling their first reactor, which as a member of the IAEA they have every right to do so when used for peaceful intent.  The Russians are helping them?  Makes sense to me since the Russians have lots of experience in building running the things safely and what happens when the procedures for running a reactor are not followed.  It is not like our folks are in high favor over there, and how many reacters have WE put on line of late?

Threats against the "ZIONIST MENACE"?  Eh, Isreal can take care of itself at this point.  Some of us have not forgotten the U.S.S. Liberty.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 04:39:19 PM »
Nor have the people of Iran forgotten the overthrow of the democratically elected government of Iranian Prime Minister Mohammad Mosaddegh by the CIA in 1953, an act which we can thank to ghosts of PM Churchill and President Eisenhower for.

Is that why US always have a fairly high general approval rating over there? 

I can see why they want Nuke power.  As far as I know, oil production has been in decline in Iran for quite some time.  I thought it was partly due to the US embargo.  They also don't refine much of any oil there so they are dependent on imports.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge