Author Topic: NYT Channels Wesley Mouch  (Read 3995 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
NYT Channels Wesley Mouch
« on: August 23, 2010, 10:42:50 AM »
File this under, "I couldn't make this up if I tried."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/opinion/22sun2.html?_r=1

“But many of Mr. roo_ster's actions remain legal only because lawmakers have chosen not to criminalize them.”

Federal prosecutors spent six years going after Delay and come up with bupkis.  Six years.  If Delay were not wealthy, he would have had to plea out.  I could not afford six years' litigation.

IMO, if you can't find a crime and find a way to present it so that regular folks (AKA, "jurors") can understand it in much, much less than six years, maybe you have no business going after the target.

This comes after Federales come up with squat vs Illinois' Blago-buy-me-a-vowel. 

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: NYT Channels Wesley Mouch
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
"...have chosen not to criminalize them."

Wow. I don't know what else to say, other than I agree with your point about the length of litigation. Delay's guilt or innocence aside, how many run of the mill taxpayers could hold for out six years against salaried lawyers (who's salaries are paid by said taxpayer's tax dollars)?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 11:26:46 AM »
. . . IMO, if you can't find a crime and find a way to present it so that regular folks (AKA, "jurors") can understand it in much, much less than six years, maybe you have no business going after the target.
Well, in DeLay's case, the whole purpose was to "taint" him politically.

Period.

It was the Federal version of "You may beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride."

As for ". . . find a crime and find a way to present it so that regular folks (AKA, "jurors") can understand it . . . " I recall that some years ago (~20?) I read about some sort of securities trial that was so complex, the jurors acquitted because they couldn't make heads nor tails out of the government's case; when they asked the judge for clarification, all he did is give them the actual text of the law, which was about as clear as Urdu.

After being criticized by the prosecutor, the jurors took the unusual step of issuing a public statement that they weren't stupid, but the more the judge and government lawyers talked, the less they made sense. And if they couldn't figure out what was allegedly done - much less if it was even illegal under the law as written - after the fact, there was no way they could in good conscience convict someone for not being able to figure out what the law said beforehand.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 12:36:17 PM »
you guys defending delay?  and hows his texas trial gonna pan out.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 01:30:28 PM »

Doesn't matter if it was Delay or anybody: six years

But, since they didn't convict him of anything, I suspect they didn't have anything on him. 

His Texas trial will likely go one of two ways:
1. Austin prosecutor gets his way and the trial is in Austin and gets a conviction.  It then goes to appeal, maybe all the way to Texas sup court, where it is overturned by non-crazy non-Austinites.

2. Austin prosecutor does not get his way and the trial is somewhere (nearly ANYwhere) else in Texas but Austin and Delay is acquitted.

FTR, the Austin prosecutor has a tendency to indict Republicans and conservative Democrats (still some here'bouts), but nary a liberal Dem to be found in his sights.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 01:33:13 PM »
how much of the 6 years of stalling was from delays legal team?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 07:34:03 PM »
The Austin prosecutor (technically, he was the Travis County District Attorney) who brought the charges against DeLay, Ronnie Earle, left the DA's office and ran - unsuccessfully - for Lt. Governor. He set a number of records during his tenure as TCDA, including 1) prosecution for capital murder of the youngest defendent in history, an 11-year old. (After things like overturned convictions, all charges were ultimately dropped amid allegations of prosecutorial misconduct); 2) Prosecution of a CHL holder for shooting a bad guy (it took him 3 grand juries to get an indictment) which resulted in what may be a record for the shortest jury deliberation in a shooting case before a complete acquittal.

He seems to have left a mess for the new TCDA, who seems to be real quiet about the DeLay case.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 10:31:38 PM »

Even if we grant that he's not a good guy - obviously I don't think he's a good guy - there's something wrong with the mindset that states "actions remain legal only because lawmakers have chosen not to criminalize them."
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

taurusowner

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 11:26:13 PM »
But, since they didn't convict him of anything, I suspect they didn't have anything on him.  

In this particular case, you may be right.  But I would be very careful about applying the above concept generally.  Lack of conviction does not always mean innocent or lack of evidence of guilt.  It really only means the legal process (not the justice process) found him not guilty.  There have always been plenty of cases where anything from a technical screw-up to an overly sympathetic jury has let criminals go.  It doesn't mean they didn't commit the crime though.

Regarding the Wesley Mouch quote, that's something I've noticed from a lot of people, not just "journalists".  There seems to be a prevailing idea in America that certain things we are "allowed" to do, and other we are not.  Just take any example of a soccer mom saying "I can't believe someone is ALLOWED to carry a gun on school property" or something of that effect.  They really do see the default state of an action as illegal, only to be made legal later on.  As if the burden of proof is on us to show an action should be allowed, as opposed to the truth that the burden is on the State to prove to us that an action should be illegal.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 11:30:50 PM by Ragnar Danneskjold »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 11:47:58 PM »
I sometimes think that some of these idiots read Atlas Shrugged and see Galt as the bad guy. and use the rest of it a a how too manual with the idea that since there is no John Galt to foul up their plans they will be able to pull it off and create the perfect society
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 11:49:03 PM »
"We turn from a society where that which is not explicitly prohibited is allowed into a society where that which is not explicitly allowed is prohibited."  Jeff Cooper (I think)

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 11:51:48 PM »
It worked.  I honestly thought he was guilty from reading press reports. 

They did a good job ruining him, all right.  =|
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 06:03:22 AM »
I wonder what would have happened if they'd went after Barney Frank or Sheila Jackson-Lee as vigorously....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 08:44:36 AM »
I wonder what would have happened if they'd went after Barney Frank or Sheila Jackson-Lee as vigorously....
The papers would be filled with headlines about "homophobia" and "racism."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 11:06:48 AM »
In this particular case, you may be right.  But I would be very careful about applying the above concept generally.  Lack of conviction does not always mean innocent or lack of evidence of guilt.  It really only means the legal process (not the justice process) found him not guilty.  There have always been plenty of cases where anything from a technical screw-up to an overly sympathetic jury has let criminals go.  It doesn't mean they didn't commit the crime though.

I'll grant all that.

Thing is, most folks & most jurors grant the agents of the gov't more credibility than the accused.  He might be "innocent until proven guilty," but "what is he doing here unless he was doing SOMETHING wrong?"

If they can't get a conviction with folks who are generally pro-gov't or at least pro-authority, they must have really screwed the pooch somehow.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 02:04:48 PM »

Why wonder?  Look at what's going on with Rangel or Waters.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife