Author Topic: backscatter part 2  (Read 2041 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
backscatter part 2
« on: August 26, 2010, 10:59:34 AM »
http://www.physorg.com/news201454875.html

scanning bone structure looking for pedophiles etc at theme parks and such
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: backscatter part 2
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 11:00:58 AM »

That is so wrong it is not even funny.  That they had the friggin nerve to argue "for the children" means they KNOW they're doing something wrong.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 12:06:44 PM »
Mission creep. "it's for the children" will soon turn into "officer safety". Those 2 phrases are so abused.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 12:56:27 PM »
So you get scanned once for little or no reason. Then you can be scanned in the future if you're attending a Tea Party rally (assuming they have them in the future) or for any other reason our leaders deem appropriate.

It's not all that far-fetched when you consider that Pelosi wants to investigate the funding of those opposed to the Ground Zero Mosque, or considering the scrutiny and outright lies that Tea Party activists have had to endure.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 01:10:09 PM »
Mission creep. "it's for the children" will soon turn into "officer safety". Those 2 phrases are so abused.

Agreed.  I use to work for a large urban school district and it was a race to see who could put "it's for the children" into their argument, because after that if you were against it you were looked like a total idiot.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 07:41:06 PM »
Actually, I'm starting to think that a big EMP or solar radiation storm that sent technology back to the 1850s wouldn't be so bad ...  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 01:46:42 AM »
The idea was born when a Wright State University scientist went online as his young daughters were preparing to go trick-or-treating and discovered that convicted sex offenders were living in his neighborhood. What if there was a way to positively identify sex offenders as they arrived at theme parks and other venues populated by young children? Better yet, the scientist wondered, what if there was a way to recognize terrorists in disguise at airports or U.S. ports of entry?

If only people had unique facial features.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 01:58:55 AM »

"They" all look alike to me...
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 12:30:30 PM »

That would be profiling.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 03:41:24 PM »

:lol:

Edit for actual response:
This is awful.  We are seeing a HUGE trend toward the destruction of any previously inviolable(due to the absence of technology, not Constitutional guarantee) privacy rights.  It's right there in the article - taking a fingerprint is intrusive, but scanning from afar doesn't hurt, or take time, or inconvenience the subject at all - in fact, HE MAY NEVER KNOW IT HAPPENED.  Does that bother anyone else?

I want this technology contained.  The potential for abuse is too great and the temptation WILL not be ignored.  If people don't speak up, we'll be seeing these things mounted on cop cars soon.  Maybe they'll use emplaced units on the freeways like the photo-radar units we had here - you know, "just in case" of an amber alert or fleeing criminal. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 03:52:20 PM by BReilley »